Bateman transferring

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
Barnett quit the team mid season. Bateman, the student athlete, is finishing out the academic year, and if he competes in all games during that academic term, I personally think he has done all he can reasonably do. I wish no ill in players' future, even if I disagree with a particular action they took. I like to consider myself an encourager, and while I'm at it, the best of everything to each of you.:)

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Hurts is very durable and the strongest skill player we have, but everyone's joints are vulnerable. Personally, I hope they start training Stewart in the playbook...
Very good idea and I bet the coaches are already on top of this.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: Cooper Bateman transferring

The real issue isn't the academic calendar - it's been what it is for ages. The issue is the playoff calendar pushing into the next academic session. Pre-playoffs it never would have mattered as he would be done with the championship game before the next academic session would have started wherever he wanted to go.

Luckily there are a lot of schools that don't start classes till the second week of january, so hopefully he ends up going somewhere that will allow him to stay with the team until the playoffs are over.
Yeah, you're really correct. I'm beginning to think they should left-shift the college football calendar to give it more weekends with no NFL competition and get the tournament done by NYD. If we go to 8-team playoff then that "left-shift" is the only way to get it done but they really ought to just go ahead with it now perhaps.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Too bad - he's part of a team. He should have thought about this before the season started or stick to his commitment.

Maybe he does the right thing, but if he quits, he's a quitter. No respect for quitters.
But my question is this: How is that quitting the team when he has met all of his obligation academic wise? He have the right to transfer as Graduate Transfer, and maybe it was something that He and Saban agreed to together and maybe developed a plan... What if it was the plan all along and they met last week to sign off the paper? You don't know what goes on in that office between them. It's not fair to call him a quitter and not know the whole story.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
But my question is this: How is that quitting the team when he has met all of his obligation academic wise? He have the right to transfer as Graduate Transfer, and maybe it was something that He and Saban agreed to together and maybe developed a plan... What if it was the plan all along and they met last week to sign off the paper? You don't know what goes on in that office between them. It's not fair to call him a quitter and not know the whole story.
Because the team isn't finished yet, the season continues.

It is what it is, if he wants to clarify, he can. And he might stick it through - if he does, good, doing the right thing is commendable.

It's not as if he didn't have an inkling that Bama might make the playoffs.

So yeah, quitting before the season is over is just that...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Because the team isn't finished yet, the season continues.

It is what it is, if he wants to clarify, he can. And he might stick it through - if he does, good, doing the right thing is commendable.

It's not as if he didn't have an inkling that Bama might make the playoffs.

So yeah, quitting before the season is over is just that...
I think you're being little too harsh about the whole thing, but whatever. We'll wait and see.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
Hurts is very durable and the strongest skill player we have, but everyone's joints are vulnerable. Personally, I hope they start training Stewart in the playbook...
Late to the thread here, but I've thinking this for awhile now. Then we actually saw him throw the ball. Stewart running a package of 10-15 plays might be enough to get us through a game- even against Clemson or OSU- in a pinch.

A lot of folks are unaware of how good he was at QB in high school...

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
If a coach takes a job with another school, is he also a quitter?
I am not being contrary or argumentative, but I have never liked the fact that coaches who get new jobs at the end of year are almost always expected to quit immediately even if their former team is going to a bowl game. It always struck a little bit as quitting on your players, but that is not necessarily on the coaches, as much as it is on the system. Since we haven't had to experience that yet at under CNS, it's hard for some of us to empathize with that feeling of being quit on. However, I cannot deny that I feel way less critical of Lane Kiffin knowing he wants to at least stay til the season is over.

That being said, I don't feel this way about Cooper. I'm a little more miffed that the NCAA did not think about this when they and the Playoff committee developed this new format. College enrollment dates have been more or less the same for a long time, and they are the ones that govern transfer rules and protocol. This just seems like a huge oversight on their part.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Some coaches believe in finishing the job. Some assistants left on bad terms and were told to kick rocks by their superiors. But yeah, many who leave their team high and dry are simply looking out for #1.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Late to the thread here, but I've thinking this for awhile now. Then we actually saw him throw the ball. Stewart running a package of 10-15 plays might be enough to get us through a game- even against Clemson or OSU- in a pinch.

He throws it as well as JT Barrett does... ;)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I was not unaware. He was signed as an "athlete."

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Whatever Bateman chooses to do, I'll never grind my axe against him like I did Barnett, anybody think Lane's exit has anything to do with all the qb transfers? Or is the reason no deeper than a freshman starting at qb?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Bateman was here under Nussmeier...he's leaving to grad transfer and potentially start for a year somewhere.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.