Bateman transferring

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If Hurts goes down and Bateman isn't here, anyone with confidence back there will be able to bring you home. You guys are that good. My vote would also be for Stewart. He is smart, tough and has a real feel for the game. He wouldn't be able to take over for Coker, but he would be able to take over this offense for Hurts.

That said, I hope that Bateman is still around for the playoffs, but only if he is totally focused and prepared. The last thing that you need in the playoffs is a QB pressed into action that didn't take the preparation seriously.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Because the team isn't finished yet, the season continues.

It is what it is, if he wants to clarify, he can. And he might stick it through - if he does, good, doing the right thing is commendable.

It's not as if he didn't have an inkling that Bama might make the playoffs.

So yeah, quitting before the season is over is just that...
The season might not be over, but the academic period is. He doesn't really have a choice if he wants to transfer and be able to go through spring with another team, which is really his best shot at being able to play next year. He'll have to enroll at and start classes at his target school by some deadline, and at that point I think he loses his eligibility to play for us. The issue is the timing of the playoff games.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I'm going to state the obvious here but starting a true freshman it is a chance Alabama took. We are going to be young and very thin at QB for a couple of years.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Bateman was here under Nussmeier...he's leaving to grad transfer and potentially start for a year somewhere.
Florida?

Sounds like this could be much premature adieu about nothin' - as a grad transfer Bateman doesn't need early enrollment "unless his new school needs him on campus" the source said. Maybe he's looking at the Coker template where not having a spring training before his first season at 'Bama held him back. So the "need" would be on Bateman. All this "good soldier" malarkey too, unless it's referring to his willingness to try WR - he had his chances at QB, one in particular last year (speaking of Coker, and seizing his second chance). For all anybody here knows, Bateman was third-string and mop-up only even though 'Bama didn't have a viable backup after Barnett left. He was never going to be more than that, maybe even in case of emergency.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Call me dumb, but how could Stewart be our qb, we need him at wr. Cornwell better get ready/healthy asap! Rtr

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
How I will view Bateman depends on when he leaves. If he's there for the final playoff game (whenever that is), he'll have my full support no matter what he does next. If he leaves before that? I won't wish him well (not that it matters if I do or not). The thing is, he has options and he doesn't have to leave before the championship game. I can't relate to someone that would skip out on something like that, I can't approve of that at all. It would be selfish. Having said that, is it as bad as what Barnett did? No, either way it won't be, but this is of massive important to everyone involved. It would show a huge lack of character not to be there for the team.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Call me dumb, but how could Stewart be our qb, we need him at wr. Cornwell better get ready/healthy asap! Rtr
Alabama did the same thing with David Palmer though and it wasn't entirely a failure. I can imagine an almost Auburn style offense with Stewart as QB.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Alabama did the same thing with David Palmer though and it wasn't entirely a failure. I can imagine an almost Auburn style offense with Stewart as QB.
I just dont see that working that well, just my opinion. Hopefully Hurts stays healthy and it won't come to this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

bamaee04

All-SEC
Nov 15, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Was Stewart a QB at some point?
Stewart played QB/DB primarily in high school, he almost led his team to the state championship at QB during his senior year in 2A for Fultondale High School. They lost in the third round of the playoffs if I recall correctly, and Stewart was an all state selection.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Bateman was here under Nussmeier...he's leaving to grad transfer and potentially start for a year somewhere.
If it's Florida, things get complicated.

The bad news is that registration is 1/3 and classes start 1/4. Possible good news is that drop-add goes through 1/10. Don't know if he can both enroll and add a full schedule on 1/10 or not.

https://catalog.ufl.edu/ugrad/current/Pages/calendar1617.pdf

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think we're all borrowing trouble here a little bit. Coach Saban has got this and either way we'll be OK imo. Jalen threw for less than 200 yards last night and we beat a good defensive team by almost 40 points. I have enough faith in our defense to keep us in close games. If we have to use Stewart as QB, we have adequate WR back ups to make it work. I know Cornwell has a big arm, but accuracy is a concern.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.