Bateman transferring

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
The jet sweep we run is a forward pass because Hurts throws it up in the air in front of him.

The difference between a traditional jet sweep and the pop pass jet sweep that Alabama has utilized is how the ball is delivered to the receiver, with the quarterback flipping the ball forward — a forward pass — to a receiver crossing between himself and the offensive line rather than handing it off like a normal run behind him. That difference allows for any mistake in the pop pass exchange to be considered an incompletion and not a fumble, thus lessening the potential for error.
http://www.timesdaily.com/sports/al...cle_c438ef89-e1b5-5da4-997b-cceb6e1f4f65.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I hate to see him leave Bama, but, we understand why he's going to another school..One QB gets the majority of snaps when they become the starter & while Cooper loves Bama he is a competitor that wants a chance to showcase his skills at another school..Good luck Cooper we will be rooting ya on son(unless you play Bama that is(G)..

And that does clear up the depth chart bringing in what's perhaps the best recruiting haul in any one recruiting class with Tua & Mac Jones..

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If he left by his own choice, then yes.

Are you trying to trap me or something? I think I've made myself pretty clear - when a player or coach quits the team before the season ends, you're a quitter. Doesn't mean you're a dirtbag of a human or anything, but you quit the team. Plain and simple.

I was not trying to trap you, just wanted your opinion of Saban when he left for LSU. Thank you for your honesty.

I hope Bateman can stay through the championship game. But there may be circumstances beyond his control. While Joe Student might be able to drop out of Alabama and enroll somewhere else after the semester has started, a football player may not be allowed by NCAA rules.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
I was not trying to trap you, just wanted your opinion of Saban when he left for LSU. Thank you for your honesty.

I hope Bateman can stay through the championship game. But there may be circumstances beyond his control. While Joe Student might be able to drop out of Alabama and enroll somewhere else after the semester has started, a football player may not be allowed by NCAA rules.
This why I feel this was an oversight on the NCAA's part when determining the new Playoff/ bowl game schedule. Under the BCS, this wasn't an issue because the game was played the 1st week in January. Now the season stretches into the academic year. You'd think the people who make the rules on when transfers had to be on campus should've known this might become an issue since players have been transferring at the end of the season since, I don't know, forever.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
This why I feel this was an oversight on the NCAA's part when determining the new Playoff/ bowl game schedule. Under the BCS, this wasn't an issue because the game was played the 1st week in January. Now the season stretches into the academic year. You'd think the people who make the rules on when transfers had to be on campus should've known this might become an issue since players have been transferring at the end of the season since, I don't know, forever.
The championship isn't being played any later than the bcs championship games were. Plenty of years it was the 7th/8th/9th/10th day of January before it was played.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCS_National_Championship_Game

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My memory of that is that Saban said he would stay through the bowl but Michigan State told him they didn't want him to. Either way, I agree with you. This surprises some people, but Saban can do the wrong thing, too.
I think you're absolutely correct. MSU basically told him they didn't want him around any longer. My nephew's FIL is a MSU grad, used to manage auto plants for GM, and he was part of our regular weekend golf group. He was really hangdog when Saban left MSU. He said State can't hold onto anything decent... :)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I guess I'll be the contrarian, but I do not think Bateman is a quitter if the academic calendar begins before the NC game and he ends up transferring out before the game.

A few things. These guys are still students first. It is, or it should be, about the degree. I am not at all trying to be naive. I know this is big time college football and these guys are there just as much or more for the sport than the degree. Which leads me to my second point. They don't get paid. They should, and they don't. So, at the end of the day, either he is a student first and since he has graduated, he is free to pursue his graduate education elsewhere, OR, this is big time college football and he's not getting compensated for that and on top of that he has waited patiently and he's not going to play. I'm ok with him moving on to a better opportunity, and I'll blame the academic calendar for forcing the timing.

That's my opinion on the matter. Bateman is in no way the same kind of story as Barnett, who I do consider a quitter. I'll wish him well. I certainly hope he can stay on through the playoffs. As minor as it may seem, I don't discount the importance of holding for kicks, as well as his role as the backup QB. We need him. But this isn't life or death, and I'm not going to call him a quitter.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess I'll be the contrarian, but I do not think Bateman is a quitter if the academic calendar begins before the NC game and he ends up transferring out before the game.
So you would be okay with an Alabama basketball player transferring in January, with games still to be played on the calendar? To me, they are the same. The season is not over, and the players at Alabama know that if things go according to plan, they will have games into the second week of January.

He should only be looking at programs / schools that would accommodate his football commitments to Alabama, IMO. If a program wants him badly enough, they will work with him on his enrollment date. If not, go to a school where that date is not a problem.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
So you would be okay with an Alabama basketball player transferring in January, with games still to be played on the calendar? To me, they are the same. The season is not over, and the players at Alabama know that if things go according to plan, they will have games into the second week of January.

He should only be looking at programs / schools that would accommodate his football commitments to Alabama, IMO. If a program wants him badly enough, they will work with him on his enrollment date. If not, go to a school where that date is not a problem.
Yes, I would.

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA

A few things. These guys are still students first. It is, or it should be, about the degree. I am not at all trying to be naive. I know this is big time college football and these guys are there just as much or more for the sport than the degree. Which leads me to my second point. They don't get paid. They should, and they don't. So, at the end of the day, either he is a student first and since he has graduated, he is free to pursue his graduate education elsewhere, OR, this is big time college football and he's not getting compensated for that and on top of that he has waited patiently and he's not going to play. I'm ok with him moving on to a better opportunity, and I'll blame the academic calendar for forcing the timing.

That's my opinion on the matter. Bateman is in no way the same kind of story as Barnett, who I do consider a quitter. I'll wish him well. I certainly hope he can stay on through the playoffs. As minor as it may seem, I don't discount the importance of holding for kicks, as well as his role as the backup QB. We need him. But this isn't life or death, and I'm not going to call him a quitter.
In my opinion, they ARE getting paid. But that has been debated on here plenty of times before and except for that statement, I agree with you.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You are a lot more relaxed about this than I am, but at least you are consistent. I would never let one of my boys transfer during a season, but we had that conversation when Barnett left.
I'm not going to call him a quitter. It's not that I am relaxed about the issue of commitment to team, keeping your word, things like that. It is that I do not view this situation in that prism. These guys are supposed to be getting an education. If they have graduated, then they have fulfilled their commitment to the University. As for their commitment to the team, it is not so black and white, IMO.

I've got 2 boys. Very young still. You better believe they will be taught to honor their commitments. I do not think Bateman is dishonoring his in this situation, but it is only my opinion. If I were his dad, I'd probably encourage him to do everything he could to finish the season with Alabama. But I can acknowledge that that might not be possible.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I'm not going to call him a quitter. It's not that I am relaxed about the issue of commitment to team, keeping your word, things like that. It is that I do not view this situation in that prism. These guys are supposed to be getting an education. If they have graduated, then they have fulfilled their commitment to the University. As for their commitment to the team, it is not so black and white, IMO.

I've got 2 boys. Very young still. You better believe they will be taught to honor their commitments. I do not think Bateman is dishonoring his in this situation, but it is only my opinion. If I were his dad, I'd probably encourage him to do everything he could to finish the season with Alabama. But I can acknowledge that that might not be possible.
It will be possible...it just depends on whether he wants to let his teammates who he has played with 3 or 4 years down.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I would add one thing. People want to make a direct comparison between athletes and coaches leaving a college football team. It's not the same. While you can argue that a coach is a bigger loss, the fact is a new one can simply be hired. He can be replaced. There is absolutely no mechanism other than walk-on that I'm aware of that would enable to a school to instantly replace a lost student athlete in such a fashion. If the starting QB quits, you can't just go hire a new one. I think it is easy to mix the two up, and I understand why people would do it, but the NCAA restrictions means the two can't be the same.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It will be possible...it just depends on whether he wants to let his teammates who he has played with 3 or 4 years down.
Yep - there are a ton of schools out there that don't start classes until after January 9th.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.