Bateman transferring

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
I think a lot of people are putting the cart before the horse. Just because his transfer has been announced, there's no word that he won't be here through the playoff games. Until something happens, I'd personally temper my thoughts on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Bateman has been a team player since his arrival. If we've had one transfer that I really hope works out for the kid it's Bateman. I wish him good luck and fortune in the future.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think a lot of people are putting the cart before the horse. Just because his transfer has been announced, there's no word that he won't be here through the playoff games. Until something happens, I'd personally temper my thoughts on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I think that everyone has said that they would only be upset if he left before these games are played.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Coaches leave all the time and its deemed acceptable because they are "furthering" their career. Why isn't ok for Cooper to do the same?

Yeah, I hate that he may leave before one or both of the playoff games, assuming we make it to the championship. But, if it's to give him one shot at catching on with a team and being a starter, more power to him. I'm sure he doesn't want to leave during the playoffs, but, if its his only shot, he's got to do what he's got to do. I don't begrudge him at all. I respect his competitive spirit. He has done everything asked of him and more and accepted his role even when he realized he wasn't going to be the starter.

As for his enrollment window, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
You don't have to show up to the first day of class to be an eligible student. Almost all schools give you at least a week after the first day of class to join.

RTR

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Coaches leave all the time and its deemed acceptable because they are "furthering" their career. Why isn't ok for Cooper to do the same?.
I already answered the question. It's not the same because he can't be replaced in the way a coach can be. You don't like that, go complain to the NCAA, but those are the rules. He quits, and the team can't hire a new guy to replace him. I'm not excusing coaches quitting, but it literally is not the same thing.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Very true, but I don't think that means he will be eligible to play in a back up role if we needed him to.
If he is enrolled in school he could play but it would cost him a year of eligibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I already answered the question. It's not the same because he can't be replaced in the way a coach can be. You don't like that, go complain to the NCAA, but those are the rules. He quits, and the team can't hire a new guy to replace him. I'm not excusing coaches quitting, but it literally is not the same thing.
Whatever man. He's a 22 year old kid trying to catch on to play one more year and if that's his best shot to accomplish it, it is what it is. He's going to have live with that choice not you. Let it go.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Whatever man. He's a 22 year old kid trying to catch on to play one more year and if that's his best shot to accomplish it, it is what it is. He's going to have live with that choice not you. Let it go.
You asked a question, I answered it (before you even asked it also, but... whatever man). As has been made clear here, Bateman can go to another school without missing the playoff game! The only question, which has not yet been answered is if he accommodates that or not. Yes, it would limit his choices, but it does not absolve him of responsibilities. There's nothing mandating he has to transfer now or miss playing football next year!

I know we now live in an era in which people are not really responsible for themselves or their actions. I mean he's 22 right? He's not even expected to provide his own healthcare until 5 more years right? Well, the choice he has, which yes does fall on coaches as well is if he will fulfill his responsibility. I did however highlight the difference and I will, since you were so dismissive, belabor that point.

Now, Bateman is not just the backup, he is the holder. The previous holder is gone. The next logical backup and holder might not be physically capable of doing the job. This is why we are discussing a wide receiver as quarterback. So, it isn't some idle discussion of who sits on a bench. It's a relevant discussion of who holds the kicks (AG unfortunately is easily affected, he struggled at first with the new holder) and who plays if Hurts is injured. This does not compare to a situation in which there is an immediately available option to do what he does.

How does that compare to real life? Some people feel an obligation to fulfill their responsibilities. I think we've all known people, young and old who did not let their team down, did not let their employer down. For example, I once played a basketball game the day of my mother's funeral! I wasn't 22, I was 14, but my team needed me and I went out there and played. Now, would I have damaged the hopes, dreams, and hard work of many people by failing to show up? Not really, but I would have let my team down. There are plenty of people who wait to leave an employer until they are replaced or their services are not needed. For instance my wife's current job came after she was working for a contractor. She stayed with that contractor until the job was done, literally until she was unemployed, because she didn't want to let them down. She was unemployed for one day, as the people she had been working with were glad to hire someone of her character and work ethic. It is entirely possible to make choices that show good character, and it's possible to make choices that show bad character.

How I view Bateman will be through that prism.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
FGs and XPs scare me too, but not because of the holder.
That was my point. If he wasn't worried about Griffith before this then I have to wonder what kicker he's been watching:biggrin:

I'm to the point that I'm ready to either punt or go for it on 4th down. He is toast.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
You asked a question, I answered it (before you even asked it also, but... whatever man). As has been made clear here, Bateman can go to another school without missing the playoff game! The only question, which has not yet been answered is if he accommodates that or not. Yes, it would limit his choices, but it does not absolve him of responsibilities. There's nothing mandating he has to transfer now or miss playing football next year!

I know we now live in an era in which people are not really responsible for themselves or their actions. I mean he's 22 right? He's not even expected to provide his own healthcare until 5 more years right? Well, the choice he has, which yes does fall on coaches as well is if he will fulfill his responsibility. I did however highlight the difference and I will, since you were so dismissive, belabor that point.

Now, Bateman is not just the backup, he is the holder. The previous holder is gone. The next logical backup and holder might not be physically capable of doing the job. This is why we are discussing a wide receiver as quarterback. So, it isn't some idle discussion of who sits on a bench. It's a relevant discussion of who holds the kicks (AG unfortunately is easily affected, he struggled at first with the new holder) and who plays if Hurts is injured. This does not compare to a situation in which there is an immediately available option to do what he does.

How does that compare to real life? Some people feel an obligation to fulfill their responsibilities. I think we've all known people, young and old who did not let their team down, did not let their employer down. For example, I once played a basketball game the day of my mother's funeral! I wasn't 22, I was 14, but my team needed me and I went out there and played. Now, would I have damaged the hopes, dreams, and hard work of many people by failing to show up? Not really, but I would have let my team down. There are plenty of people who wait to leave an employer until they are replaced or their services are not needed. For instance my wife's current job came after she was working for a contractor. She stayed with that contractor until the job was done, literally until she was unemployed, because she didn't want to let them down. She was unemployed for one day, as the people she had been working with were glad to hire someone of her character and work ethic. It is entirely possible to make choices that show good character, and it's possible to make choices that show bad character.

How I view Bateman will be through that prism.
First of all, I'm sorry about your mother and secondly, I don't think you would have let your team down by not playing on the day of your mother's funeral. Having said that, yes, that's a testament to your character. Bateman could have easily transferred this summer when he realized he wasn't the 1st string, much less the 2nd string, but he didn't. That's a testament to his character as well.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Bateman could have easily transferred this summer when he realized he wasn't the 1st string, much less the 2nd string, but he didn't. That's a testament to his character as well.
Well, I would say this. I see transferring between semesters as being less harmful. I really take exception to transferring mid-semester. One would hope anyone would transfer after the football season, but before the final signing period (so they can be replaced). The playoff runs afoul of this timeline though and that's why we are speculating.

I think Bateman has been a great member of the team. If he wasn't, I'd have less angst about an early departure. Even last game, on the blocked kick, he really put himself on the line to try and stop that return. I'm not sure how many of us would throw ourselves in front of 4 football players rumbling down the field, but he gave it his best shot. So, I have no issues as of yet. I respect and admire his contributions. But... I just can't get around the fact that I think he should be there for his team for every game this year. He can do that, and I hope he does.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Well, I would say this. I see transferring between semesters as being less harmful. I really take exception to transferring mid-semester. One would hope anyone would transfer after the football season, but before the final signing period (so they can be replaced). The playoff runs afoul of this timeline though and that's why we are speculating.

I think Bateman has been a great member of the team. If he wasn't, I'd have less angst about an early departure. Even last game, on the blocked kick, he really put himself on the line to try and stop that return. I'm not sure how many of us would throw ourselves in front of 4 football players rumbling down the field, but he gave it his best shot. So, I have no issues as of yet. I respect and admire his contributions. But... I just can't get around the fact that I think he should be there for his team for every game this year. He can do that, and I hope he does.
but you nailed the real issue: the football schedule could potentially run past the academic schedule. While I hope he can find a spot where the calendars don't conflict, what if his only really good chances at getting a starting spot next year require him on campus before our final game? Does he have to forfeit those good chances just because the schedule goes into the next academic period because the football season keeps expanding?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.