Bateman transferring

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You asked a question, I answered it (before you even asked it also, but... whatever man). As has been made clear here, Bateman can go to another school without missing the playoff game! The only question, which has not yet been answered is if he accommodates that or not. Yes, it would limit his choices, but it does not absolve him of responsibilities. There's nothing mandating he has to transfer now or miss playing football next year!

I know we now live in an era in which people are not really responsible for themselves or their actions. I mean he's 22 right? He's not even expected to provide his own healthcare until 5 more years right? Well, the choice he has, which yes does fall on coaches as well is if he will fulfill his responsibility. I did however highlight the difference and I will, since you were so dismissive, belabor that point.

Now, Bateman is not just the backup, he is the holder. The previous holder is gone. The next logical backup and holder might not be physically capable of doing the job. This is why we are discussing a wide receiver as quarterback. So, it isn't some idle discussion of who sits on a bench. It's a relevant discussion of who holds the kicks (AG unfortunately is easily affected, he struggled at first with the new holder) and who plays if Hurts is injured. This does not compare to a situation in which there is an immediately available option to do what he does.

How does that compare to real life? Some people feel an obligation to fulfill their responsibilities. I think we've all known people, young and old who did not let their team down, did not let their employer down. For example, I once played a basketball game the day of my mother's funeral! I wasn't 22, I was 14, but my team needed me and I went out there and played. Now, would I have damaged the hopes, dreams, and hard work of many people by failing to show up? Not really, but I would have let my team down. There are plenty of people who wait to leave an employer until they are replaced or their services are not needed. For instance my wife's current job came after she was working for a contractor. She stayed with that contractor until the job was done, literally until she was unemployed, because she didn't want to let them down. She was unemployed for one day, as the people she had been working with were glad to hire someone of her character and work ethic. It is entirely possible to make choices that show good character, and it's possible to make choices that show bad character.

How I view Bateman will be through that prism.
I have to say in that instance your team let you down. There is nothing on this Earth more important than family, especially mom.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
but you nailed the real issue: the football schedule could potentially run past the academic schedule. While I hope he can find a spot where the calendars don't conflict, what if his only really good chances at getting a starting spot next year require him on campus before our final game? Does he have to forfeit those good chances just because the schedule goes into the next academic period because the football season keeps expanding?
Well, I'm not a fan of the playoff. I'm not a fan of these guys having to play 15 games. Bear Bryant started out at 11 games max, went to 12, and that was without full scholarship restrictions. I do feel there is too much pressure on student athletes and that it should be relaxed somewhat. I believe there should be more scholarships (in this instance it would have made it more likely Alabama had another scholarship QB), and I do feel 15 games is too much to ask of these student athletes. I don't see either changing anytime soon though.

Having said that, Bateman's ambition to start at this point has to be viewed as an indulgence. I would remind everyone that as of right now, it's still largely hypothetical so I'm not judging... yet. The reason he might have to be so picky with a destination is because he has no real future as a quarterback. This would be his one shot at starting, and then unless he's a coach (where his time at Alabama would prove to be extremely valuable), he's going to be done with football. So, he wants a full ride right? He wants a starting job right? Understandably, his options would be slim to none. He doesn't have to be an EE though! He doesn't have to choose a school that would have a conflict with his current schedule. If he makes those choices, to indulge himself, what good is that doing him or the team? None, it would just be him indulging a personal ambition. While I can understand that, I really don't see missing out on the chance to be on the field for a championship game, just to improve your odds of being a starter for one year in the FBS. I couldn't respect him making that choice, even if I wouldn't judge him as harshly as Barnett for example. Morris stayed there for the team, and he got some starts this year. Bateman could do the same.

I have to say in that instance your team let you down. There is nothing on this Earth more important than family, especially mom.
No need to go into details, but I didn't miss her funeral. What happened was done, nothing on earth would change that. I am not holding that up as an example of what a player should do for a team. I understand there could be any number of reasons to not be able to play. I was however illustrating that for some people, fulfilling obligations to teams matter. You practice together, you work as a team, you go and give it your all. In some ways it isn't just disrespectful to your team to not be there for them, it is disrespectful to yourself and all the work you put in up to that point.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Someone mentioned that bringing in a transfer QB to back up Jalen might be an option for next year. Saw on ESPN Michigan QB Shane Morris, a former starter, will graduate in December and has a year of eligibility left. Possibility?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Someone mentioned that bringing in a transfer QB to back up Jalen might be an option for next year. Saw on ESPN Michigan QB Shane Morris, a former starter, will graduate in December and has a year of eligibility left. Possibility?
No, if he wanted to be a backup he'd stay at UM. I highly doubt we get a grad transfer QB of any sort unfortunately. These guys typically don't transfer to sit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
The article concerning his transfer says that CNS gave him his release. CNS wouldn't have given him his release if he was going to walk away and leave us without a backup, would he?

Oops, posted before I saw the above post.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
We're gonna be fine. They're staying with the team through the season, and then leaving to have a chance for playing time...something not available at Bama now that a Freshman has taken the starting job.

Tua and MAc will join next January and if Tua is what we expect (in the mold of Jalen?), he'll be a great backup, if needed.

They've been greta members of the team for quite a while now, and are doing the right thing (staying through the season before transferring).

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Did Jarret Stidham ever land anywhere? The kid is quite an athlete.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
One positive, this probably helps to solidify Tua Tagovailoa's commitment even more now despite some late attempts by some of our rivals.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One positive, this probably helps to solidify Tua Tagovailoa's commitment even more now despite some late attempts by some of our rivals.
I agree. As a true freshman he could see the field if JH goes down with an injury.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.