Tell me about Washington

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
I think that Washington's defense is legit. Not Alabama/Michigan legit, but very solid. But without a solid LB group, I just don't see how they can stop your running game.

I am less convinced that Washington's offense is legit. Ross is, but the rest is a great coaching job more than talent. I just don't see Washington scoring in this game. Sure, they'll score something, but not much.
I'm not saying we'll run on your guys, but our running backs are pretty good. Myles Gaskin was a Scout 4 Star Recruit (as is his back-up, Levon Coleman). First team All Pac-12. The first true freshman ever at the UW to rush for 1,000 yards in a season (and we've had some good ones, e.g., Napoleaon Kaufman). Freshman All-America first-team from the Football Writers Association of America. Is a soph and had another 1000 yard season. Dwayne Washington backed him up last year, and Washington left early and made the Detroit Lions as an UDFA and contribues (i.e., Gaskin held the NFL caliber upper classman on the bench as a frosh).

Coleman could have been better than Gaskin, but he kept getting injured. Against Colorado Gaskin and Coleman both rushed for 100+.

The big concern is Gaskin isn't that big (about 200 pounds) and he's a patient runner, not a bruiser like the guys you seem to churn out. He won't blow you away with speed or power, but he has some LeSean McCoy in him.

We're pretty deep at RB. We regularly play 4 guys.

As for LB and edge rusher, we are thin as Mathis and Azeem are both injured, and they are All-Pac 12 players.

-

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not saying we'll run on your guys, but our running backs are pretty good. Myles Gaskin was a Scout 4 Star Recruit (as is his back-up, Levon Coleman). First team All Pac-12. The first true freshman ever at the UW to rush for 1,000 yards in a season (and we've had some good ones, e.g., Napoleaon Kaufman). Freshman All-America first-team from the Football Writers Association of America. Is a soph and had another 1000 yard season. Dwayne Washington backed him up last year, and Washington left early and made the Detroit Lions as an UDFA and contribues (i.e., Gaskin held the NFL caliber upper classman on the bench as a frosh).

Coleman could have been better than Gaskin, but he kept getting injured. Against Colorado Gaskin and Coleman both rushed for 100+.

The big concern is Gaskin isn't that big (about 200 pounds) and he's a patient runner, not a bruiser like the guys you seem to churn out. He won't blow you away with speed or power, but he has some LeSean McCoy in him.

As for LB and edge rusher, we are thin as Mathis and Azeem are both injured, and they are All-Pac 12 players.

-
How many rushing yards do you think that you will have in the game?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Even without USC, Alabama's OOC schedule was better than yours, so put USC in the conference game column for Alabama and your schedules look similar, except somehow Alabama's competition has a much higher winning percentage.

No matter how you slice it, Alabama played a tougher schedule.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
How many rushing yards do you think that you will have in the game?

Alabama played five teams with higher rushing-per-game averages than Washington (#36), and here were the results:
Texas A&M (#33): 217.50 ypg, 114 yards against Bama (net -103.5)
Mississippi State (#24): 233.17 ypg, 94 yards against Bama (net -139.17)
LSU (#20): 238.09 ypg, 33 yards against Bama (net -205.09)
Kentucky (#16): 241.25, ypg 72 yards against Bama (net -169.25)
Auburn (#6): 278.5 ypg, 66 yards against Bama (net -212.5)

Average difference vs Bama: -165.9 ypg

Washington (#36): 210.0 ypg - if Bama holds to it's average against teams that run the ball better than Washington, you will end up with 44 yards rushing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Another point. Parity is not achieved by having every conference play an equal number of conference games unless every conference is equal in strength and depth. This will never be the case. That is why teams need to protect their schedules with at least one really good OOC game every season.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
dj2014

Dawgman Commit
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
21 posts this site

Re: Congratulations Huskies!
[COLOR=#363C74 !important]12/05/2016

[COLOR=#363C74 !important][/COLOR]

[HR][/HR]I feel sorry for who ever replaces Coach Saben. He set a pretty high bar.

Coach Pete strategically came here shortly after we bounced off of rock bottom.

This was too funny to pass up. They feel sorry for whom ever replaces Coach Saben... We dont replace coaches just ask the old timers Bamas Back No Brag, Just Bear Fact.
[/COLOR]

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I'd like to submit a couple of links for discussion:

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...y-offense-work-chris-peterson-browning-gaskin

This first link discusses the Huskies offense; players, formations, and plays. Maybe some Husky fans can confirm if the article is accurate.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...2/washington-huskies-zone-read-chris-petersen

This link analyzes a read option variation the Huskies have used this season. It actually resembles a delayed speed option to me.

Oh, and if anyone knows of similar articles, please post. I'd be interested in seeing them.

eta:

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/t...kies/2016/10/04/washington-huskies-pass-rush/

This link looks at the Husky pass ruch against Stanford.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Alabama played five teams with higher rushing-per-game averages than Washington (#36), and here were the results:

Washington (#36): 210.0 ypg - if Bama holds to it's average against teams that run the ball better than Washington, you will end up with 44 yards rushing.
Thanks. I just wonder if the Husky fans realize what they face. They seem to think that they have something that no other team has, and that whatever that is, it will invalidate everything that Alabama has accomplished to date.

tidegrandpa

All-American

Man,this stat is golden.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
IF you play 8 Conference Games and 4 Non-Conf then each team in your conference will likely have an additional win..making it appear the conference is stronger.. ." If some teams have the opportunity to get an extra win in non-conference play, the penalty for playing a weak opponent will be washed out because most of their conference opponents will have inflated their records by one win." http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2014/8/12/5969965/college-football-playoff-strength-of-schedule-conference-8-9-games-pac-12-sec-big-ten-big-acc

The fact that the SEC has made 1 of those Non-Conf games more competitive ONLY equals the difficulty of a normal Pac12 schedule:

Rutgers, Portland St, Idaho.... and USC... plus 8 conference games = UW 2016 Schedule
Kent St, Temple, Chattanooga...and USC... plus 8 conference games = Alabama 2016 Schedule

How are these schedules appreciably different. In fact, On paper, and considering that these schedules are made years in advance, UW actually 'scheduled' the tougher slate. The fact Rutgers ended up sucking was unforseen (their were 8 win team when scheduled).

IN addition; the SEC had the most FCS teams scheduled in 2016 amongst the P5 conferences: http://gridironnow.com/2016-schedules-sec-fcs-power-five/

If we are all feeding into the same Playoff, then we should all be playing the same Conference Schedule..whether 8 or 9...it should be the same. and either NO or 1 FCS opponent. I say one only because in the grand scheme of things, I think this helps the FCS schools ALOT -- sometimes provides their athletic budget for the year (or a big part of it). I'd prefer none, but could live with 1 if it is critical to those teams having football/sports.

go DAWGS
You keep saying it gives everyone one additional win. It does not. You aren't even looking at the schedules, you are just assuming the extra game is against a nobody.

You have to remember, SEC country and ACC country intermingle and in many cases are a rival. Off the top of my head, Bama played USC, Ole Miss played FSU, Auburn played Clemson, LSU played Wisconsin, Tenn played VT, Georgia plays GT every year, Florida plays FSU every year, South Carolina plays Clemson every year, Arkansas played TCU, Kentucky plays Louisville every year, etc etc.

Y'all keep trying to paint it as some sneaky advantage. It isn't.

Also, we've never played Temple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
The only thing I see in this match-up so far that gives W a chance is that they appear to be the best passing offense we will have faced w/the possible exception of Ole Miss. The question there is how they can protect their QB and/or how effectively they can execute a short to mid range quick passing game w/a few "bombs" sprinkled in when our DBs get pulled up a little. That's the only way I've seen any team hurt us this year including FL in the championship game. It then falls on our O to control the ball, score in the red zone and limit TOs. We still haven't played our best game on offense yet. I'm hoping the extra prep time solves that problem. If it does, no one much stands a chance IMHO.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
SoDawg,

Welcome. I haven't real "all" of the posts in this thread but, I've read several (and someone may have already made this point) BUT.... In regards to eight versus nine conference games:

a) Alabama DID play nine conference games - five AWAY from home
b) Alabama also played the only team that beat Washington out of conference
c) I would argue that save perhaps Oregon there simply are no Pac 12 road venues as hostile or intimidating as Neyland Stadium or especially Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge

But you're doing a great job keeping us informed, and I appreciate you being here.

The only thing I see in this match-up so far that gives W a chance is that they appear to be the best passing offense we will have faced w/the possible exception of Ole Miss. The question there is how they can protect their QB and/or how effectively they can execute a short to mid range quick passing game w/a few "bombs" sprinkled in when our DBs get pulled up a little. That's the only way I've seen any team hurt us this year including FL in the championship game. It then falls on our O to control the ball, score in the red zone and limit TOs. We still haven't played our best game on offense yet. I'm hoping the extra prep time solves that problem. If it does, no one much stands a chance IMHO.
Even when faced with those prolific passing offenses it took someone being hurt for that type of offense to have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

We also faced two rushing defenses that are STATISTICALLY the equivalent of Washington - LSU and Auburn.

LSU surrenders 121.8 ypg (corrected to 112.4 when our game is taken out) - we got 216.
Auburn surrenders 124.8 ypg (corrected rushing of 117.6) - we got 203.

So against two statistically similar defenses to Washington, we got an average of 86 yards above what they usually yield. That would give us a net rushing total in the Peach Bowl of 210 yards.

I feel quite confident that if we rush for 210 yards and hold Washington to 44 that it's likely a stampede.

When adjusted for SOS, it gets worse.
We also faced two rushing defenses that are STATISTICALLY the equivalent of Washington - LSU and Auburn.

LSU surrenders 121.8 ypg (corrected to 112.4 when our game is taken out) - we got 216.
Auburn surrenders 124.8 ypg (corrected rushing of 117.6) - we got 203.

So against two statistically similar defenses to Washington, we got an average of 86 yards above what they usually yield. That would give us a net rushing total in the Peach Bowl of 210 yards.

I feel quite confident that if we rush for 210 yards and hold Washington to 44 that it's likely a stampede.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This chart, if I understand is comparing UW v Alabama. There is no argument that Alabama is better. The original point (perhaps lost because I didn't 'reply quote') was that Pac12 was horrible, no defense, etc.

What I'm trying to say that the quality of the Pac12, or lack thereof, has been greatly exagerated because the teams that have been very good recently were beaten, and/or not as good this year. The assumption is based on recently good teams getting beat...not actually on quality of good teams this year. 6 Teams will likely end up 9+ wins, 4 with 10+ wins. BiG will likely go 2-7 in Bowl games: Penn St will lose to USC, Utah over Indiana, WSU over Minn, Florida St over Michigan, Clemson over OhioSt, Florida over Iowa, Pitt over Northwestern... with Nebraska over Tenn and Wisc over W. Mich.

The example is, Undeated #8 UW beats #7 Stanford (that ended up 9-3) 44-6 and the conclusion is "Stanford isn't very good, PAC12 is weak".

Conversely, Unranked 5-2 Penn St beats #2 Ohio St. 24-21 with fluke blocked FG returned for TD and the Conclusion is "Penn St is awesome, BiG is Strong.. .Penn St should be ranked".

Penn St has beat...Kent St, Temple, Minn, MD, Purdue, Iowa, Ind, Rutgers and MSU and beat Ohio St , while losing to Pitt and Michigan 49-10! The beat Wisc and Ohio St close. Wisc signature win against LSU early and a Nebraska team that should have lost to Oregon - worst team in Pac12.

Bottom line, the Pac12 is not as down as popular opinion suggests. Current CFB ranking has 5 Pac12 teams, 5 SEC Teams, and 4 BiG Teams. Granted BiG's are in Top10, but that is because the rest of the conference is horrible.

go DAWGS
The chart points to Alabama facing better competition (stats and Sagarin point to it) and out-performing the better competition more so than Washington did against weaker competition.

One team does not represent an entire conference, but it's hard to come away thinking the Pac-12 is as great as you want to say when the conference champion faced the equivalent of the #52 offense (Old Dominion at 433.1 yards compared to UW's opponents' average of 433.26) and the #80 defense (North Texas at 432 yards compared to UW's opponents' average of 431.23).

Meanwhile, Alabama's opponents are the equivalent of the #41 offense (Va Tech at 448.2 yards per game) and the #53 defense (Utah at 386.5 yards per game).

-
Alabama faced ten 1,000 yard rushers this season. Of the ten, Rawleigh Williams and Ronald Jones gained the most yards in a game. They each had 46.

Those ten rushers averaged 29.5 yards against Alabama.

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
As you have noticed this is a free board. I prefer to compare the UW free boards to this one. In all honesty the UW boards I went to that are free I will not be back. It was embarrassing to see Bama fans posting the junk I read. I am proud of what we have here at tidefans. My 17 y/o daughter is surprised with how well the board is ran. RTR
I'm not trying to blow sunshine, but Tidefans is awesome. I'm super impressed with the quality of the posts, and the moderators. It is a little different than some other SEC boards I've visited for sure. You guys really bring your A game and I've learned a lot on these forums. I plan to come back after the game.

Dawgman's free boards can be toxic. Our pay boards are good, but I don't really like one of the main moderators there because he's a moron LOL (A bama fan recently asked us why we don't talk about or recognize our pre-modern era legends, and the DM mod said, "because it was 100+ years ago"). But I've been posting therefor 10+ years, so it is home.

SoDawg

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2016
So he's arguing that playing nine games might not be better?

Thank you. That's kind of our point.
Yes....playing 9 conference games gives everyone (typically with soft OOC schedule) an EXTRA win...which in turns makes all the teams in your conference 'appear' stronger, boosting your SOS.

" Every single team has a better strength of schedule under the 8-game schedule (and those differences are all statistically significant by an enormous margin). Despite playing one fewer quality opponent, teams earn a great advantage during the 8-game schedule because conference opponents have, on average, more wins. This incrementally improves the strength of schedule over the course of the season."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.