Tell me about Washington

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
42 TDs is hard to do against nothing but FCS. I think it has to be given its due respect.

Colorado is 3rd in the nation in defensive pass efficiency (Alabama is 7th) and Browning really struggled against them. Of course, Colorado was only middling rush defense and UDub was able to pave out rushing lanes all day. But Colorado's defense goes about it completely different than we do, so I'm not sure what we can take away from that tape. Maybe use more split safety a la some of our games against Petrino's Arkansas teams? We'll definitely have to do a better job with getting lined up right with the front because CU used split safety to a fault and got gashed by the run.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Against the three teams that they played with defenses that had a pulse, Browning was a sub .500 passer. Against Alabama he will be their sole hope on offense. You guys have watched too many Saban presses. They are not as good as their stats make them look.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We were better than Ohio State in 2014 but lost control of that game in the middle quarters, made too mistakes to overcome it late. I take nothing for granted in the postseason.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We better come ready to play. We are so much more talented than them across the board it's pitiful. But Peterson is a master at taking over-matched teams and upsetting superior teams. He is great at scheming so the talent superiority he is up against is negated. He did it for years at Boise St. I think he will attack us through the air on quick hitting short passes. You know he's going to spread us out. That's just what he does. Defensively I suspect he is going to attack the edges and take away the jet sweeps and anything on the outside. Which is why I hope we get away from being so predictable on how we start games with our offensive play calling. Teams are waiting on it and are defending it quite well. That is until we decide to start calling plays that advance the ball vertical, rather than sideline to sideline.

We've got the horses to run them out of the building. But if we come out and play sloppy for an entire half before we get focused. This will be a very close game and if we don't watch it they could jump out on us by a few scores. But make no mistake about it. If we come out focused and eliminate the first half sleep walking on offense. We should win this game going away.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We were better than Ohio State in 2014 but lost control of that game in the middle quarters, made too mistakes to overcome it late. I take nothing for granted in the postseason.
Admitting that you have a much better team is not the same as taking the outcome for granted. The best team doesn't always win, but they usually do. Just relax and enjoy this run. It will be over before you know it.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Sidebar. Is this the first Peach bowl for Alabama?
Yes, this will be our first time playing in the Peach Bowl. In earlier times, Atlanta didn't care for Bama or Coach Bryant, and when Coach Bryant was controlling who played where during bowl season, he wasn't inclined to help the Georgia economy by bringing the Tide to ATL.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Our boys had better be ready for the Statue of Liberty (and every other trick play in the book)!
Considering how much time Gus has been at auburn as OC and HC, I think we've seen every trick play in the book - and handled them fairly well. If Peterson needs trick plays, I think it bodes well for us. Maybe he'll mimic Coach Mac and try a second quarter fake punt from his thirty.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They're a decent foe. They're not the 2001 Miami Hurricanes, but they deserve to be here.

For starters, let me start with the only too accurate cheap shot: I doubt most of the folks giving opinions here have seen more than one Huskies game this year anyway. They play late enough at night many times that folks in the east (and south) don't see very many of their games.

I saw their games (at least 3/4 of each game) against Colorado, Utah, Oregon, and Wazzu. I'm watching the USC game in two parts (one today, one tomorrow).

Their rushing defense ON PAPER is very good, the best in the Pac 12. But if you actually watch it, they're not 'really' very good at it. The best rushing team in the conference is Arizona, who went 3-9. But they nearly beat Washington, losing in overtime. They gutted the Huskies 'best in the Pac 12' rushing defense for over 300 yards and averaged 7.2 yards per carry. In addition to those four teams - none of whom could run the ball on Alabama - another team (ATM) has a better rushing offense than Washington does.

They play a lot of 'short out' passing game. Their 'big rushing' stats are skewed by a 378 yard rushing performance against Oregon's 121st ranked rushing D.

To give you a hybrid point of reference, Washington is a combination of Texas A/M (slightly better passing) on offense and Auburn on defense. (These are not exact but just to give you an idea).

They had three relatively close games and went 2-1. They beat Utah on a punt return TD late (with three blocks in the back that weren't called) and needed OT to beat 3-9 Arizona. They start games quickly with touchdowns. But their timing of QB to WR is often not very good. Browning threw up a couple of 'here ya go' passes with bad timing that they got against Wazzu that a semi-talented secondary would have intercepted.

USC beat them by picking them apart with passes over the middle. I don't see us beating them that way. However, I think we can keep their defense on the field for long stretches.

I'm going to look closer before making a prediction, but don't be surprised if they take it right down and score because they've done that all year. By the same token, our defensive speed is nothing like they've ever seen.

Also - most of those kids have probably never been further east than Vegas while Alabama plays big games almost every week it seems. That could be a factor as well.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes, this will be our first time playing in the Peach Bowl. In earlier times, Atlanta didn't care for Bama or Coach Bryant, and when Coach Bryant was controlling who played where during bowl season, he wasn't inclined to help the Georgia economy by bringing the Tide to ATL.
I doubt that had much to do with it at all.

The Peach Bowl began in 1968. That is literally the only year that MIGHT have even been true. It was a second tier bowl game that tried to bring in ACC teams when possible. Given how dominant we were from 1971-1981, I'd very shocked if we were even given much consideration. We had bigger fish to fry.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes, and if Hurts loses the ball then we have a problem.

But...they don't have a Zeke Elliott to sustain drives for long periods of time, either. We lost that because we couldn't stop the run, refused to just plow out and run, and turnovers.

I agree with you, though, the potential for mischief is there, but I also concur with B1G.

What MIGHT make it close is that I'm sorta expecting a 'less than completely sellout' effort but enough to win. Then I'm hoping for the 1995 Nebraska redux in the final game against whomever.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Watching the game with Washington and Colorado I was a bit encouraged by the fact that Colorado was getting good pressure on Browning. Colorado's DL is nothing like ours. I kept thinking if their D was getting that kind of pressure then our D should get a decent amount of sacks. I don't think Browning will have the time to take many deep shots. He's going to have to throw a lot of dink passes and maybe some intermediate passes.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
They're up there in the north west...where they used to play football way back when....until a team from Tuscaloosa Alabama rode out on a train to Pasadena Ca, and showed that real football is played in the southeast!
RTR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Washington's D reminds me a bit of ND circa 2012-13. Big, slow linemen. Usually adequate LB's and DB's that can be outmatched physically. Better comparison than AU this year, IMHO. Good points, Bill.
I watched four of Notre Dame's games that year - too. I knew the moment I did that we were going to blow them to shreds.

I'm not quite that confident here, and they certainly have a much better offense than ND did. But we should win this one.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Washington's defense is a top-10 unit. You don't get the 8th best scoring defense in that league by being big and slow. They move around pretty good in my opinion. They have like a bunch of defenders who are NFL players. They grade out well as a rush defense and USC didn't really bullyball them on offense either. USC did it by being effective in the passing game with explosive plays and converting on 3rd down better than most teams against Washington.

This is the kind of team that I think we've got to be able to attack inside and off-tackle in the run game. Preferably, get Scarbough 1st half touches and pass off the play fake.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I watched Washington Friday night and here is what I noticed:

-I think the way their defense played this year, it was based on their somewhat weak schedule. I'm not discounting their defense at all. they have pretty good defense, but I just think they haven't faced anything good as Alabama and my feeling is that they will struggle stopping the offense. Defense is not that fast, or athletic. they just get the job done. I don't think they have the speed to keep up with all receivers.

Washington is very inconsistent on offense, one game they can score 70 points, and next game 15 points. I don't think Browning will have lot of success against the bama Defense. Only way Browning can be successful and to play like Chad Kelly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.