Tell me about Washington

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
No doubt they haven't seen defensive speed like ours, but the flip side is we haven't seen a good passing game since Ole Miss. Our D is really good, but has benefited stats wise by a sub-par year offensively in the SEC.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I want to be humble like coach taught me. Fact is, we're gonna a cover the line on a very well coached team. Then, Dabo better watch out!!!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Washington's defense is a top-10 unit. You don't get the 8th best scoring defense in that league by being big and slow. They move around pretty good in my opinion. They have like a bunch of defenders who are NFL players. They grade out well as a rush defense and USC didn't really bullyball them on offense either. USC did it by being effective in the passing game with explosive plays and converting on 3rd down better than most teams against Washington.

This is the kind of team that I think we've got to be able to attack inside and off-tackle in the run game. Preferably, get Scarbough 1st half touches and pass off the play fake.
USC had better athletes. Period. 3 of 4 DL starters are just run pluggers. They have a couple of good athletes there and a few undersized as well. They are good but not great.

I agree with lining up and running over them (paraphrasing). We can handle their athletes with better athletes. We'll need to execute, though.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I mean, I ain't arguing in the mind that he's gonna put up Watson passing numbers on us but they're very competent as a passing offense and they have a coach who is one of the best at scheming you into the wrong answer for what they're trying to do on a given play.

We're gonna need a great day on defense and the offense not throwing away points, putting the ball on the ground, and going three and out too often.
Can they run the ball? If they can't stop our run their QB will do a lot of bench setting. It's gonna be up to us to play mistake free football. Lastly... How deep is their bench? Are their 3s strong enough to contain us?

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The most telling state to me was that some 75% of their pass plays, even though they do short routes, rely on 5 or 7 step drops.

UW has heavily relied on their offensive line keeping Browning upright, and teams that pressured him rattled him. If we put pressure on him early, this turns in to MSU all over again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I went to one of their message boards to try to get a feel for them. Maybe you have to be a regular there to "get it", but nothing even made sense there.

Between that and the rampant profanity (not a prude, but putting it in every post just because you can is just low class) I am very proud to be a member of Tide Fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
There are so many on here that rag on Kiffin about his play calling, and then Coach Saban yells at him and then Kiffin does what Saban wants.

I believe that is how it happens by about zero percent.

Coach Saban has his imprint on ever single facet of the game. He doesn't call the offensive plays, but he does approve the strategy and offensive game plan.

He has given Meyer, Dabo and Peterson so many different looks. Some weeks lots of sweeps and Jalen running. Other weeks no sweeps no Jalen running. Some weeks mid range passing, some weeks heavy dose of the RBs...

None of that is by accident, all by design

I think against Washington, you see lots of OJ and Ridley deep. I think you see lots of PAPassing. Fewer jets....perhaps even some fakes off of jets early, screens going the other way like Ridley and Cam vs Florida. Save Jalen running for a final.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
There are so many on here that rag on Kiffin about his play calling, and then Coach Saban yells at him and then Kiffin does what Saban wants.

I believe that is how it happens by about zero percent.

Coach Saban has his imprint on ever single facet of the game. He doesn't call the offensive plays, but he does approve the strategy and offensive game plan.

He has given Meyer, Dabo and Peterson so many different looks. Some weeks lots of sweeps and Jalen running. Other weeks no sweeps no Jalen running. Some weeks mid range passing, some weeks heavy dose of the RBs...

None of that is by accident, all by design

I think against Washington, you see lots of OJ and Ridley deep. I think you see lots of PAPassing. Fewer jets....perhaps even some fakes off of jets early, screens going the other way like Ridley and Cam vs Florida. Save Jalen running for a final.
Additionally there is a lot of time to develop some new plays - that cuts both ways. The first couple of drives may look a mess on both sides. Boom or bust. Scripted series that have equal chances to befuddle the defense on a look they haven't seen before or collapse due to the play being run for the first time in live fire.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
The undersize line reminds me of when we played Utah. Undersized usually means faster and that's probably where the athleticism comes in. They have excellent WR's and QB but I don't really think The Huskies have the depth to hang with us in the 4th qtr.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The undersize line reminds me of when we played Utah. Undersized usually means faster and that's probably where the athleticism comes in. They have excellent WR's and QB but I don't really think The Huskies have the depth to hang with us in the 4th qtr.
We also hit a helluva lot harder than we did in 2008.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
With this SOS in mind, here are some stats. Just displayed #1-50

Totl Defense Ala 1 Wash >50
Rush Defense Ala 1 Wash 17
Score Defense Ala 1 Wash 8
Pass Eff Defense Ala 7 Wash 12
Pass Eff Off Ala 26 Wash 4
Rush Off Ala 14 Wash 36
Scoring Off Ala 13 Wash 4

FWIW
Although I don't doubt for a moment that there's a big gap in SOS, looking at the records of some of their opponents, true SOS can't really be determined until after the bowl games, and even then there's the comparative score problem. I think there's general agreement that the SEC is somewhat down this year, but we won't really know by how much until we see how they fare against quality OOC opponents. That and the playoffs will tell us a lot; I hope by producing Bama as the NC again... :)

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I went to one of their message boards to try to get a feel for them. Maybe you have to be a regular there to "get it", but nothing even made sense there.

Between that and the rampant profanity (not a prude, but putting it in every post just because you can is just low class) I am very proud to be a member of Tide Fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I noticed that as well. I figured the posters must be mainly a bunch of college students/millenials. The profanity/constant references to genitalia were just outrageous. Needless to say I won't be posting over there.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.