Tell me about Washington

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
If the team underestimates UW like they did OSU in 2014, the same results are likely.
You can't possibly be comparing that Ohio State team to this UW team? That Ohio State team was one of the most talented teams in College Football history. They had Zeke Elliott, who is looking like a once in a generation type of RB for the Dallas Cowboys right now. That Ohio State team was LOADED with stud NFL players who are making awesome contributions in the NFL right now. Yet we only lost to them by 6 points.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Okay, I was under the impression they had 10 STARTERS who would be playing on Sunday. If that were the case I was thinking outside of LSU I don't think we play anyone in the SEC with that type starting talent.
They are starters, but football isn't about the best 22 vs the best 22 players from each team. It is more like the best 40 vs the best 40. Once you get past their best 10, the drop-off to the other 30 that will play is HUGE. Not so at Alabama. Barely any drop-off at all.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is exactly what happened last year with Michigan State. Spartans and their fans came into that game thinking they had a chance. But it was apparent midway through the first quarter in that game that the Spartans were outmatched and you could start to see it in the Spartan players demeanor on the field.

In order to beat Alabama, for one, you have to absolutely want to play them. Talking about it and actually doing it are two different things. Plenty of teams have talked about wanting Bama but when they actually get on the field with us, it turns into a whole "What in the hell did we just step into?" deer in headlights type of ordeal for them. Because the second Alabama players start to see fear in the opposition, its blood in the water and the sharks start to feast and that is when the avalanche happens. No team in College Football can avalanche their opponent faster then we can.
1) MSU's defense was a concern going in because everyone, including a bunch of Bama fans, doubted Coker. Coker is probably the biggest reason that game blew open like it did.

2) While the comparison fits mostly 2 things don't. They are both qbs, and the opposing coach. Jalen doesn't have the long ball like Jake did, browning is better than cook, and Peterson is more innovative than dantonio.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
WE have 10 STARTERS who will play on Sundays. I can list them out if you like. Hell, our back-up RB is gonna leave early and he's a NFL player (like Dwayne Washington from last year).
I take your word for it. You know more about it than I do. Like I said. If that's true then the only other team in the SEC we play with that type caliber starting talent is LSU.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You can't possibly be comparing that Ohio State team to this UW team? That Ohio State team was one of the most talented teams in College Football history. They had Zeke Elliott, who is looking like a once in a generation type of RB for the Dallas Cowboys right now. That Ohio State team was LOADED. Yet we only lost to them by 6 points.

You can't compare both teams or even both games for that matter.
Well, the way our guests talk, this Washington team is among the most talented ever as well. We know Bama is supremely talented, but despite showing we have almost as many 5* players on our roster as they have 4*, I'm told there's little advantage.

At this point, I've decided it's probably best tot sit back and just let the game be played. We've seen this over and over - fans come here and tell us how they can match up, how good they are, etc. only to come back later (if they do at all) saying 'Wow, we really had no idea...'

Washington recruiting over the last five years (2012 included to include RS seniors)
2016: 37th; (0)5*, (7)4*
2015: 31st; (0)5*, (4)4*
2014: 37th; (0)5*, (3)4*
2013: 18th; (0)5*, (7)4*
2012: 22nd; (1)5*, (5)4*
total: (1)5*, (26)4*

Alabama recruiting over the last five years (2012 included to include RS seniors):
2016: 1st; (5)5*, (10)4*
2015: 2nd; (4)5*, (15)4*
2014: 1st; (6)5*, (13)4*
2013: 1st; (4)5*, (13)4*
2012: 1st; (3)5*, (14)4*
total: (22)5*, (65)4*

RTR

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The wild card is whether some of our players leave early. Our back-up RB (Coleman) is likely going to leave early like Dwayne Washington last year (he just had a kid and needs the money). Vita on the DL may go pro. But assuming we don’t have an unusual amount of early entries, we’ll actually be better next year.

We're EASILY top 10 pre-season next year, regardless of outcome of Bama game.
Look, I love that you are so enthusiastic about your team. That is why I love this sport. But, IMO, the only reason that you are a top 10 team this year is because the PAC sucks so much.

Have fun with this. These types of seasons don't happen every year. And maybe it will happen for you again next year. But don't take it for granted. You are not recruiting well enough to expect it.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
1) MSU's defense was a concern going in because everyone, including a bunch of Bama fans, doubted Coker. Coker is probably the biggest reason that game blew open like it did.

2) While the comparison fits mostly 2 things don't. They are both qbs, and the opposing coach. Jalen doesn't have the long ball like Jake did, browning is better than cook, and Peterson is more innovative than dantonio.
Well, Cook is on an NFL team right now (Oakland Raiders) - So you can't really say Browning is better then Cook at this moment. Its worth remembering that Cook was ALSO in the Heisman discussion that year. Browning has had some awful games this year against good competition (RE: USC and Colorado) - So this tells me that when the tough get going, Browning disappears. And this game against our defense will be tough for Browning. So will the trend continue? Or will Browning all the sudden go Joe Montana on us? I suspect it'll be the former. The only way Washington wins this game or even keeps it close, is if we show up flat and make mistakes and hurt ourselves. If we show up with our A-game and are dialed in, Washington has zero chance in this game, i'm sorry, but that is just how it is.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
WE have 10 STARTERS who will play on Sundays. I can list them out if you like. Hell, our back-up RB is gonna leave early and he's a NFL player (like Dwayne Washington from last year).
10 starters that will play on Sunday? Going to guess those aren't all draft eligible players right now. If that's the case, Alabama has at least 12 starters that will play on Sunday.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
10 starters that will play on Sunday? Going to guess those aren't all draft eligible players right now. If that's the case, Alabama has at least 12 starters that will play on Sunday.
No, they have 10 players among their current starters at Washington who will get drafted over the next few years. Only about half of those will go in the first 3 rounds, so you can't predict that more than 5 or 6 would ever be an NFL starter.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
But how many of those are actually 1st and 2nd round players that are destined to be career NFL starters? There is a difference between borderline NFL players and actual NFL players. Or rather, players that go into the NFL as career backups and special teams contributors.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But how many of those are actually 1st and 2nd round players that are destined to be career NFL starters? There is a difference between borderline NFL players and actual NFL players. Or rather, players that go into the NFL as career backups and special teams contributors.
They have 4 or 5 players who would go in the first 3 rounds this year (depending on what Vite does). Maybe 2 others in the first 3 rounds next year. The rest are low level draft picks.

ETA - this is pretty good for Washington, and they have been drafting well the last few years, so I can see why a Husky fan would be pumped up. But they have Shula talent on this team, not Saban talent.

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
I’ll list them out:

Ross (WR) – 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rounder (I won’t list links, just google it)

Jones (CB) – 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rounder (I won’t list links, just google it)

Qualls (DL) – Listed by Mel Kiper as the #12 prospect in this years’ draft (need ESPN insider account so I didn’t link)

King (CB) – Listed as a top 10 player at his position. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...prospects-helps-washington-dominate-stanford/

Budda Baker (S)– On most 1-3 round mocks so just google it. But again, listed as top 10 at his position. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...prospects-helps-washington-dominate-stanford/

Taylor Rapp (S) – Pac-12 Freshman Defensive Player of the Year. Pac-12 Championship MVP. He’s only a frosh, but would be odd if the best freshman defensive player in a Power 5 conference doesn’t play in the NFL. He’s a beast and passes the eye test. Will be drafted no doubt as he’s already dominating the Pac-12 as a TRUE frosh.

The following players are listed on CBS Sportsline Draft Rankings located here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

QB - Jake Browning, #4 QB for 2019 (i.e, he’s getting drafted as the #4 QB draft prospect, but I don't think he's a long term NFL starter due to size and arm strength - think Kellen Moore)

RB - Myles Gaskin, #3 RB for 2019 down 1 spot to #4 RB for 2019

DT - Greg Gaines, #7 DT for 2019

DT - Vita Vea, #3 DT in 2017 / #2 DT for 2019

OT - Trey Adams, #7 OT for 2019

That’s eleven NFL players (who WILL get drafted) of our STARTERS alone.

And finally, read http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...lt-zach-cunningham/1uzalduytew4v1hemywwic069y. The title: NFL draft spotlight: Washington rivals Alabama in pro talent. An except from the Sporting News ARticle:

. The Huskies are loaded with NFL talent. There’s a chance that, after Alabama and depending on who declares early, the Huskies could have the most draft picks in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Look, I love that you are so enthusiastic about your team. That is why I love this sport. But, IMO, the only reason that you are a top 10 team this year is because the PAC sucks so much.

Have fun with this. These types of seasons don't happen every year. And maybe it will happen for you again next year. But don't take it for granted. You are not recruiting well enough to expect it.
Please name ten teams in the country legitimately better than Washington.

I think Bama wins big against them but they're obviously, without question a top ten team. The Pac-12 is criminally underrated.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Please name ten teams in the country legitimately better than Washington.
He has a point. Top to bottom, what other conferences is the PAC better then? Its not the SEC or ACC or even the Big 10. I'd even go as far as to say that the Big 12 might even be better. Conference strength very much plays a role in what teams do and don't do year in and year out. Weak conferences tend to inflate statistics and win/loss records.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I’ll list them out:

Ross (WR) – 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rounder (I won’t list links, just google it)

Jones (CB) – 1[SUP]st[/SUP] rounder (I won’t list links, just google it)

Qualls (DL) – Listed by Mel Kiper as the #12 prospect in this years’ draft (need ESPN insider account so I didn’t link)

King (CB) – Listed as a top 10 player at his position. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...prospects-helps-washington-dominate-stanford/

Budda Baker (S)– On most 1-3 round mocks so just google it. But again, listed as top 10 at his position. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...prospects-helps-washington-dominate-stanford/

Taylor Rapp (S) – Pac-12 Freshman Defensive Player of the Year. Pac-12 Championship MVP. He’s only a frosh, but would be odd if the best freshman defensive player in a Power 5 conference doesn’t play in the NFL. He’s a beast and passes the eye test. Will be drafted no doubt as he’s already dominating the Pac-12 as a TRUE frosh.

The following players are listed on CBS Sportsline Draft Rankings located here: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

QB - Jake Browning, #4 QB for 2019 (i.e, he’s getting drafted as the #4 QB draft prospect, but I don't think he's a long term NFL starter due to size and arm strength - think Kellen Moore)

RB - Myles Gaskin, #3 RB for 2019 down 1 spot to #4 RB for 2019

DT - Greg Gaines, #7 DT for 2019

DT - Vita Vea, #3 DT in 2017 / #2 DT for 2019

OT - Trey Adams, #7 OT for 2019

That’s eleven NFL players (who WILL get drafted) of our STARTERS alone.

And finally, read http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...lt-zach-cunningham/1uzalduytew4v1hemywwic069y. The title: NFL draft spotlight: Washington rivals Alabama in pro talent. An except from the Sporting News ARticle:

. The Huskies are loaded with NFL talent. There’s a chance that, after Alabama and depending on who declares early, the Huskies could have the most draft picks in the 2017 NFL Draft.
We get it. You guys have several players with NFL talent. We see that on a weekly basis.

Now, have you guys faced a team with at least 4 first round draft picks? Most mock drafts have 4 to 6 Bama players going in the first round this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.