Tell me about Washington

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Well, I didn't expect many on this board to think that B1G teams might be better. Let's call it the same bias that has me seriously doubting Washington. I will be shocked if this game is decided by less than 3 TDs.
I will be too, but it's because I think most teams in College Football are fairly mediocre.

If tOSU and Michigan weren't rivals, you would have trounced them I bet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think UW is better than PSU, Wisconsin, the Michigan team rolled out in November, Okie St...

We didn't underestimate them. We ran out to a lead, and they come back and kicked our butts. They had one of the best RB in college football, a QB with a huge arm, and an SEC caliber defense.

That qb.. We simply couldn't bring him down on the first hit.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Haven't watched too much of them, saw some highlight, cut up reels and watched the USC game, but have been studying them some.

Not a very big team, Browning has skinny build and doesn't have near the quick release and arm strength of a guy like Chad Kelly.
He's smart and plays with timing and accuracy, not very mobile.
Their o-line isn't real big and physical either, and their RB who has had a good year is only 195 pounds.
The one guy i saw that looks real legit is WR Ross, great moves and a big play threat.

Hard to imagine them running with much success or protecting Browning that well.
But if he gets protection, they may burn us a few times.

I think their defense may do well early with high effort, but Bo can probably run over these dudes in the 2nd half after they wear down some.

Ultimately, we're just too big, too physical and too athletic for them, could get ugly if Williams, Anderson and Allen get loose on Browning, might send him to the shower room early with a big hit.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Washington has some NFL talent - no doubt about that. Here's the difference. Washington has NFL talent sporadically throughout their roster. A wide receiver here, a corner there and maybe a lineman and a safety. Alabama's entire team on offense and defense (and backups) will be drafted or in the NFL in some capacity. There's literally a picture like this from almost every year Saban's been here where the entire offense and defense are on NFL rosters. Don't think the same can be said for Washington and that makes a big difference..

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We've seen two modes with our opponents this season w/r/t how offenses have attacked us:

1. Ultra-aggressive (Ole Miss, Arkansas, Florida being the best examples of this)

2. Ultra-conservative (LSU and Auburn being the best examples of this)

The problem with the ultra-aggressive teams is that they made some plays in the passing game but each team conceded multiple defensive scores in the process. The ultra-conservative teams avoided the back-breaking defensive scores but they were just not explosive enough to help their defenses out. LSU did the better job of the two, only losing 10-0. Still, Alabama absolutely took it to their defense for the last 15 minutes because LSU's offense couldn't sustain possession.

We've yet to see a team that throws it around aggressively avoid the killer turnovers. If that trend continues, I think it portents well for us obviously.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Take a moment to look at the Bama vs USC and Washington vs USC the 30 minute playback on you tube. Its basically what the coaches look at. I have never coached a down of football in my life but you can look at these two videos and remove the bias. Washington will have to play the game of its life and Hurts will have to turn the ball over 4 times all leading to scores by Washington. I see now why coaches look at video so much.

SoDawg

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2016
[FONT=&quot]Here'sa couple points to consider.

DEFENSE:
Unlike most teams in the Pac12, our team is really built to be stout upfront against power teams (like a Stanford, USC). We have 3 legit NFL,300+ lbs guys up front, and several that rotate in that are prettydecent, Turpin, Johnson, Bowman, etc. In addition, we rotate alot,and have been since Pete arrived, which has built some pretty good depth. Recall that 3 years ago, the Husky Defense was top rated AND put 4guys into the NFL in the top40 picks... Shelton, Peters, Shaq Thompson, Kikaha...andthe DEFENSE IMPROVED the next year. Last year we lost ourBuck/OLB's to NFL (Feeney/Littleton) and the DEFENSE is better this year, so our depth is better than you think, and has alot of experience. Also, Vea, Qualls, Gaines at DL...are not simply 'pluggers', they are athletic guys that are quick, can pursue and rush thepasser/collapse pocket if needed. I know the Alabama OL isbig/strong/good..but I think our guys/our team is built to battle teams likeAlabama. No doubt you are not getting us at our best with Joe Mathis(our leading 'rush' guy) who's been out the second half of season.

At LB, this is were there is some concern. The USC game wasimpacted greatly by the loss early of Azeem Victor at MIKE. He was theleading tackler, the thumper, the captain/leader of defense and there is adrop-off without him. He would be a key cog in stopping Alabama and hisabsence is key. Not making excuses... it is next man up, but hisloss is Huge. His replacement is a RS FR DJ Beavers. He has hugepotential, but just doesn't bring the wood like Azeem, not the leader/tonesetter Azeem is. Azeem's running mate is our other ILB - Keishawn Bierria andhe is very good. Our edge guys are the one weakness I see againstAlabama. They are not big (though RS FR Benning Potoae is coming on) andare a drop off from JoJo Mathis, O'Brien..who we've lost to injury.

In the DB, we are loaded with at least 6 guys+ that can cover, etc. At CB -- both Jones and King are NFL guys and are comfortable on anisland. They are also very active in run game, good tacklers (as is theentire Husky Defense). Baker at S is an All-American and early entry NFL guymost likely as well. Great tackler in run support, and very good incoverage -- covers the slot alot. JoJo, Taylor Rapp, etc... and are bighitters as well.

The key, in my perspective, is for UW to try and contain the Alabamarunning game, including keeping Hurts in the pocket and making Jalen beatus throwing the ball, and make Alabama drive the field. It seemsAlabama/Hurts have turned the ball over a bit, and UW leads the nation inTurnover Margin...so as you say, hopefully we will get a couple. Ideally we get a bit of an early lead and then play field position football,shorten the game.

OFFENSE:

To me the entire game revolves around our young OL holding up against yourfront 7 and this is my BIGGEST concern. Our OL is very talented ( acouple All Pac12 guys), but it is also young physically with RS and TrueSophmore's (only 1 Sr.) We actually start a TR FR at Guard. Thisconcerns me greatly, just based on physical maturity and time in the weightroom. I think next year (in the re-match) this OL will be better and VERYGood. This plays against our OL protecting Jake enough to execute ourmore sophisticated passing game. Jake is a very good QB (best you'll havefaced) in regards to reading defenses, executing the RPO's, moving throughprogressions to find the right guy, throwing with timing/anticipation, etc. His downside, is he is not super athletic or strong and doesn't have arifle arm. He needs time in the pocket, and without alot of TE/RB help, not sure our OL will be able to give it to him. This is pivotal ifUW is to win the game.... quick passing attack, moving pocket, protection.

Having said that, we tend to really use these guys athleticism to pullthem oiut, get them on the edge for our RB's, etc. These guys aregood sized, but also very athletic with C, G and T pulling on some plays. My concern here is backside pursuit being faster than we are used to andcatching our RB from behind. Speaking of RB's, we have 2 very goodRB's; Gaskin is a slippery guy with power. He isn't BIG, but runsbig between the tackles, seems to be able to find the smallest hole andturn a no gain into a 4 yrd gain. Coleman is bigger, 230 and runs withpower and speed...avg 7+ yrds per carry. They are a very good 1-2punch... Gaskin has ~1400 yrds and Coleman ~850yrds.

At WR...we have Ross, Pettis, McClatcher as our top 3 guys. None aretall, but all have great speed and can run after the catch. Ross gets theheadlines as he is 4.25 type speed, and runs very good routes, has good hands. Pettis is more the 'possession role' WR, but also has good speed (returnspunts) and is elusive, etc. Chico McClatcher is young, but is sort of aRoss clone...(not as fast) but pretty fast, good hands...lots of fly sweeps,etc. TE....we have 3-4 good TE's...most very good blockers with Danielsthe standout in the passing game. Daniels started as a big WR -- has GREATspeed/Athleticism and TOUGH as nails. He is the guy I'm looking to have ahuge impact on the game as he has been under utilized this year. Sampleis big, soft hands and the rest are primarily blockers. Browning and OCSmith like to throw the deep ball and have been very successful. If youdon't respect Ross speed, he will run by you. The problem late in theseason has been Browning under throwing these deep balls, which ispivotal in this game. These can either be huge plays for UW, or INTfor Alabama. Browning has to hit these if they are there.

They key on offense is for our OL to protect enough to give Browning Time, andto run enough to keep you honest ( a TALL order imho...but possible withscheme, TE help, athleticism/pulling/motion, etc.) We can not afford togive up turnovers - defensive/Special teams points....which imho, is whatAlabama has lived on this season -- 9 (?) defensive/SP Teams TD's?

What I've seen watching Bama is Defense or Special teams TD's starting anavalanche and teams then just collapsing. I agree Alabama definatelywears teams out with depth....but I think our Defense will be up there withthose you've played and our offense is not only better, but more diverse,more balanced and more sophisticated passing than any you've faced.

I'd say we have about a 20% shot here honestly....but that hinges on our OL vsyour front 7 and turnovers. IF our OL holds up enough... and IF our Dcan steal turnovers (and UW NOT turn it over)....then I think we will give youguys a run.

Good Luck...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Go DAWGS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Prove It[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

SoDawg

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2016
Then you would be mistaken.... Colorado was UP on Michigan in 3rd QTR and dominated first half. Michigan only came to life with Special teams blunders by Colorado and QB going out injured. Meanwhile UW stomped Colorado 41-10.

SoDawg

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2016
Who are these 'sporadic' NFL guys on UW? Have you actually studied this or just guessing? Here's where they project Dawgs to NFL. NOTE that this team has 2 Sr's playing on Defense - CB Kevin King (#12 rated CB for Draft) and Psalm Wooching (All Pac12). ON offense, we have 2 Sr's (G Eldrencamp #9 OG NFL rated) and TE Daniels (#13 TE -- though I'd like to see the Seahawks draft him and make him a Safety)

http://www.scout.com/college/washin...n-eldrenkamp-up-in-rankings-12-6/ms/187278367

No doubt Alabama has more/higher rated Jimmy's & Joe's...but don't underestimate the NFL level talent on the Dawgs. This is a very good, but YOUNG team. I think we need another year on the OL to compete with your front 7...which is the key to the game imho. Our Defense is talented and Deep on DL, in the DB's. We took a hit at LB losing Azeem Victor early in USC game - leading tackler, and a huge hit losing Joe Mathis (DE - leader sacks/rush end) after Stanford.

Go DAWGS
Prove It

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
These Washington fans sound a lot like the Michigan State fans last year. How'd that turn out? Oh yea, 38-0 lol

Who are these 'sporadic' NFL guys on UW? Have you actually studied this or just guessing? Here's where they project Dawgs to NFL. NOTE that this team has 2 Sr's playing on Defense - CB Kevin King (#12 rated CB for Draft) and Psalm Wooching (All Pac12). ON offense, we have 2 Sr's (G Eldrencamp #9 OG NFL rated) and TE Daniels (#13 TE -- though I'd like to see the Seahawks draft him and make him a Safety)

http://www.scout.com/college/washin...n-eldrenkamp-up-in-rankings-12-6/ms/187278367

No doubt Alabama has more/higher rated Jimmy's & Joe's...but don't underestimate the NFL level talent on the Dawgs. This is a very good, but YOUNG team. I think we need another year on the OL to compete with your front 7...which is the key to the game imho. Our Defense is talented and Deep on DL, in the DB's. We took a hit at LB losing Azeem Victor early in USC game - leading tackler, and a huge hit losing Joe Mathis (DE - leader sacks/rush end) after Stanford.

Go DAWGS
Prove It
Norte Dame had NFL talent too in 2012. Read about what happened to them when they faced Alabama. Nobody will underestimate Washington.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk

SoDawg

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2016
No doubt UW did not show well in the USC game. USC was better that night and was a very different team that what Alabama faced in week 1. Having said that, I'm not sure you watched the game closely based on your assement on the LOS. USC did not dominate our DL at all. USC had a very difficult time running the ball, Jones had 23 carries for 93 yrds, long of 12yrds. What killed us was shallow crossing routes over the middle by TE or WR of USC -- right where Azeem Victor (was injured early in game) would have been. This was the killer play and converted several huge 3rd downs/big gaines - TE had 5 catches for 78 yrds -- right over the middle. Darnold and his passing won the game...even with his 2 picks.

A couple things that I think impacted the USC game;

1) The early loss of Mike Backer Azeem Victor was a huge blow to UW. Azeem was leader tackler and leader of Defense -- huge hitter, set the tone for the team. When he went down, we had to bring in RS FR DJ Beavers in relief and that was a big ask for Beavers in THAT game.

2) UW has been very good this year, but remember this is a VERY young team. Browning (QB), Gaskins (RB), Adams (LT) are True Sophmores, RG Harris a TR Frosh, and RT McGary a RS Soph. This team has basically 2 Sr's on offense (RG Eldrencamp and TE Daniels)...and 2 Sr's on Defense now (CB King and OLB Wooching). This team was projected to be very good NEXT year. Having said that, I think the pressure of that USC game got to the team a bit, Browning for the first time since he started his first game (- 1st game last year as Tr Frosh) looked a bit frazzled. Our Tr Frosh RG Harris can a bit overwhelmed, and our Defense was reeling a bit from loss of Azeem.

The team learned alot from that game. They have adjusted to losses of Azeem and Mathis on Defense, our OL continues to improve...so this is a better team than showed up against USC.

Alabama is the clear favorite and I'd give UW about a 30% shot of the upset...but this UW team is talented and very good.

go DAWGS
Prove It

SoDawg

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2016
Not saying we will win, just saying to suggest this team doesn't have NFL talent is not quite accurate.... it is YOUNG talent, but it is there... I've said we'll likely fair better next year in the re-match when our OL is year older (Jr's) and more physically mature/strong. We return most of our team (depending on who leaves early for NFL draft). Right now early entries are projected for Sydney Jones (CB), Baker (S), Qualls (DL), Ross (WR)....along with losing CB King to NFL.

Go DAWGS!
Prove It

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Ah, now we're going to play the "our team is so young card." Alabama is starting a true freshman at QB and RT and have true freshman littered all across the 2 deep. This is the playoffs. Please don't bring up the youth excuse..

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
The most telling state to me was that some 75% of their pass plays, even though they do short routes, rely on 5 or 7 step drops.

UW has heavily relied on their offensive line keeping Browning upright, and teams that pressured him rattled him. If we put pressure on him early, this turns in to MSU all over again.

Good god we are going to murder him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.