the new normal in the u.s.?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I'm not saying this isn't true. But I do wonder if weeks later we're going to find out that the person who did this wasn't the "type" person everyone thought? But rather was done by the "type" person the graffiti was supposed to threaten. The story of the black church having something similar sprayed all over it turned out to have been done by a black man who was anti-Trump. Or so that's what has come out recently. Who knows what to believe anymore?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18238672/victor-cruz-speaks-robbery-racist-graffiti-found-home-new-york-giants-teammate-nikita-whitlock
Truth.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I wish that more traditional media outlets were aware of how precious the readers' trust is and were reluctant to squander such a precious and hard-won commodity for the base use of fleeting partisan political advantage.
You know who ruined the credibility of the NY Times? The NY Times did. Period.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I wish that more traditional media outlets were aware of how precious the readers' trust is and were reluctant to squander such a precious and hard-won commodity for the base use of fleeting partisan political advantage.
You know who ruined the credibility of the NY Times? The NY Times did. Period.
And people flocked to the internet which is 10 times worse.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
And people flocked to the internet which is 10 times worse.
I know, but in days gone by you could go to the Old Gray Lady and you had a reasonable belief that what you read there was going to be reasonably true.
When you read the Weekly World News, you knew what you were getting.

Somewhere the NYT and other traditional news outlets lost sight of the difference.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I don't see Obama's friends pushing BS conspiracy theories that cause live shootings but maybe I'm missing something.
"Hands up! Don't shoot!"

I rest my case. Y'all can go back to bashing each other. I've had my monthly dose.

Peace. Out.

Going back to listening to Zappa's "comedy music". (Which, if I might point out................Mrs. C. can't stand! "What is that noise? You can't sing to any of it. Why not put on rap, instead?" Them's fightin' words!)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Thanks TW. I always enjoy and look forward to your posts.

After a sleepless night, I have decided that enjoy might not be the right word. Please change to "your posts infuriate me" :biggrin:
Apologies. I'm not trying to infuriate. I'd settle for getting folks to challenge their assumptions.
Communism without a doubt has been a disaster. Good in theory. Bad in practice.
I do not think it is even good in theory. It flies in the face of human nature and is by definition unethical.

tidegrandpa

All-American
"Hands up! Don't shoot!"

I rest my case. Y'all can go back to bashing each other. I've had my monthly dose.

Peace. Out.

Going back to listening to Zappa's "comedy music". (Which, if I might point out................Mrs. C. can't stand! "What is that noise? You can't sing to any of it. Why not put on rap, instead?" Them's fightin' words!)
Movin' to Montana Soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon....with my zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand!!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I thought this generation was so internet 'saavy'. They can't spot a fake story when they see one ? Jeez. What babies.
I think that following the outlets that spout stories that support your bias is tempting.
Challenging your biases is hard. It's harder if "adults" you are exposed to model the "give in to your bias" behavior.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I think that following the outlets that spout stories that support your bias is tempting.
Challenging your biases is hard. It's harder if "adults" you are exposed to model the "give in to your bias" behavior.
So they can hack the Pentagon but if they read on Yahoo news the moon is cheese, they swallow hook line and sinker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Newsweek: How Donald Trump's Business Ties are Already Jeopardizing U.S. Interests

Given the extraordinary power Donald Trump now wields, it’s obvious that foreign governments and corporations can easily curry favor, bribe or even blackmail him, which is why the Founding Fathers so feared outside influences on the Executive Branch. Once he’s president, Trump does not need to ask for cash to be delivered to his pockets or to those of his children to cross the line into illicit activities—and possibly impeachable offenses. Macri of Argentina cannot know if his country will be punished by the Trump White House if the remaining permits for that Buenos Aires project are denied. Abe of Japan does not know if a government holdup of Ivanka Trump’s deal with Sanei International will lead her impulsive father to call for an American military withdrawal from his country. Erdogan of Turkey has told associates he believes he must keep pressure on Trump’s business partner there to essentially blackmail the president into extraditing a political enemy. Duterte of the Philippines believes he has received approval from the president-elect to, at best, abide by or, at worst, continue to authorize the frenzied slaughter of drug users and dealers, and knows he can harm the Trump family if the president ever angers him.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This was one of my biggest concerns with Trump as a candidate. People who have a lot to lose or a lot to gain have far more opportunities for corruption to seep into their dealings.

Ideally, the only people we should have serving the country as President, Congressmen, and Federal Judges are people who are willing to do the job but don't actually want the job.
How do we get those people to run in this environment?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
So, I've been trying to cull my RSS feed, and I'm hoping to get decent recommendations from the conservative folk. I find National Review to be pretty good. Someone recommended Daily Wire, but that's been a disappointment -- while some of their articles are decent, at least 50% of them are just namecalling, and that's beneath the level of discourse I'm seeking. I don't agree with everything on this chart, but it's an interesting map of the political news landscape. Still, it's missing a lot of outlets, so if folks have suggestions, I welcome them.

Edit: didn't know where else to put this, and I didn't want to make a new thread

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Charmin, Reason magazine ( https://reason.com/ ) is unabashedly libertarian with a small "L". IMHO, it offers a very different perspective from either liberal or conservative sites and is a great place to get well-"reasoned" commentary on news, events, and issues without the name-calling and "tow the party line" crap you'll find in places with a conservative/liberal/republican/democrat POV. We who lean libertarian both agree and disagree with most everyone on the very same issue often times. You will at times be delighted with what you read and perhaps be challenged if you allow yourself. That has been my experience, anyway.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.