Kiffin's future... (Going to FAU, Staying Through CFP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Re: Any word on Kiffin's interview with UH?

I guess my point in the game thread is Hurts was having an off game. I think Kiffin lacks the situational awareness sometimes to see that. He should have called more handoffs to the RB just to calm things down and see if he could get Hurts settled.
There is also something to be said for getting a QB in a rhythm. Also showing that we are willing to throw helps keep the safeties back at any point in the game. We do agree that they could have started running the ball earlier and making better use of "play-action" passes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I guess my point in the game thread is Hurts was having an off game. I think Kiffin lacks the situational awareness sometimes to see that. He should have called more handoffs to the RB just to calm things down and see if he could get Hurts settled.
I agree - this was the first game in which Hurts got rattled. Your NOTs bailed him out, but Kiffin didn't. He kept calling plays that put more pressure on Hurts.

Fortunately the NOTs came early in the game. With the lead, Hurts settled down.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

Seemed to me that Hurts was discouraged from running somewhat. If you add that aspect plus more efficient zone read the requirement to pass will be further exacerbated, ie throw when we want to not when we have to and throw the routes that Hurts is best suited for. I expect he will be better with the time he now has to be prepared. Just hope we don't fill his mind w/too much to think about. :)

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam

I agree - this was the first game in which Hurts got rattled. Your NOTs bailed him out, but Kiffin didn't. He kept calling plays that put more pressure on Hurts.

Fortunately the NOTs came early in the game. With the lead, Hurts settled down.
That's the one part of his game that needs to get significantly better. He has always had his legs to get him out of a jam. He evidently was told to keep that in check against UF so he got rattled. If he wants to take a clear step of progress, his confidence in his passing game has got to improve. It looks like if the first option isn't available he throws it in the stands. I know he is a freshman but now really a sophomore and that part of his game seems to be progressing slower than I thought it would.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Seemed to me that Hurts was discouraged from running somewhat. If you add that aspect plus more efficient zone read the requirement to pass will be further exacerbated, ie throw when we want to not when we have to and throw the routes that Hurts is best suited for. I expect he will be better with the time he now has to be prepared. Just hope we don't fill his mind w/too much to think about. :)
Bateman got his clearance to transfer a week ago. I suspect that they didn't want to risk Hurts in that game, and agree with that call.

You're going to have to let him play and hope for the best in the playoffs, so they'll take off those shackles.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Bateman got his clearance to transfer a week ago. I suspect that they didn't want to risk Hurts in that game, and agree with that call.

You're going to have to let him play and hope for the best in the playoffs, so they'll take off those shackles.
I think both he and Kiffin had a hard time adjusting to this. When he went down on one of those sacks it looked like he could have split the defenders and had and least a yard or 2 before he would have gotten hit by the linebackers. My wife said "what's wrong with him? It looks like he doesn't want to run."

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

If he does get UH, does Saban say adios and move Sark or someone else to get ready for the playoffs or let him stay on (I've seen a few reports that he wants to finish the season).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

With no recruiting responsibilities and a game plan that looks the same against everyone of our opponents, I can see where Kiffin would have more free time than our other assistants. This is sort of tongue in cheek (no pun intended) but I wonder how many obligations have been put on Kiffin this whole time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

If he does get UH, does Saban say adios and move Sark or someone else to get ready for the playoffs or let him stay on
I don't trust Kiffin to not start recruiting asap if he has a confirmed job at Houston. If Saban feels he will do a good job for us I will defer to his judgement.

It still suks to have to deal with this again during a playoff run. (coaches leaving)
I would hope Kiffin would put 100% effort into our team until he leaves. He owes Saban that much, if not more.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

There is also something to be said for getting a QB in a rhythm. Also showing that we are willing to throw helps keep the safeties back at any point in the game. We do agree that they could have started running the ball earlier and making better use of "play-action" passes.
I'd venture to say as a true freshman Hurts is a QB you try to protect instead of trying to get into a rhythm. I've seen some on here post that we already limit the field with him. With him at QB, you just don't want to screw it up and lose the game.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

I don't trust Kiffin to not start recruiting asap if he has a confirmed job at Houston. If Saban feels he will do a good job for us I will defer to his judgement.

It still suks to have to deal with this again during a playoff run. (coaches leaving)
I would hope Kiffin would put 100% effort into our team until he leaves. He owes Saban that much, if not more.
When you're dominating so much that your assistants are getting HC gigs, be thankful. :wink:

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

I'd venture to say as a true freshman Hurts is a QB you try to protect instead of trying to get into a rhythm. I've seen some on here post that we already limit the field with him. With him at QB, you just don't want to screw it up and lose the game.
The defense we have allows us to protect him. I'm hopeful he develops well, and next year we can unleash him on the world. I could see the team needing to flip the script a little bit next year, at least early season, and have the offense protect the defense a little bit. I know we have 5 star studs sitting on the bench but they have to grow just like Jalen, and I'm hopeful he can return the favor.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Houston has only had 1 5 star in the last 20 years to come there. Kirby was going to w program with a ton of 5 star recruits over the past 20 years. So unless you think Kiffin is better than CNS at recruiting or is going to be a credible threat to Alabama in the coming years then I see no reason to worry

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I wouldn't worry about it.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

I believe their rationale as presented. I just don't think that it is always necessary. Some teams are simply weak between the tackles. You don't need to tire them out to beat them. So why waste possessions?
This really grew on me for the first time in the SEC CG. :mad2:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK

I would hope Kiffin would put 100% effort into our team until he leaves.{{{ He owes Saban that much, if not more.}}}
Here here, well said

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL

have the offense protect the defense a little bit.
I know we lose a lot of great players but am not sure we will need to do this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So unless you think Kiffin is better than CNS at recruiting or is going to be a credible threat to Alabama in the coming years then I see no reason to worry
Not much worried he's gonna plunder our recruits. More like not spending the proper amount of time on OUR game plan......which may be a good thing if it results in run, run, run, run, play action, run....etc.;)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Did anyone even bother to read the article I posted... I totally understand why Kiffin does what he does in the game. He explained it, Saban explained it and I don't know what more can be said about this. Running the ball inside the redzone may be hard at times, but it is what it is. His playcalling and the defense got us where we are right now. Now is not the time to complain about what he's doing. We finished the season undefeated and we got two more games to go.

I honestly believe he's not gonna flip some of the recruits... but he could probably get 3 to flips from other SEC Schools and some out west. who knows? he will game plan for the game against Washingotn and he has Sark to help him. Saban got this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.