Kiffin's future... (Going to FAU, Staying Through CFP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Re: Any word on Kiffin's interview with UH? (Houston will sign Applewhite)

I see lots of innuend in this thread. Can anyone DM me more specifics on Kiffin and why he is so toxic?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

This is pretty much the way I feel at this point. I think he's done wonders with our offense and he's sometimes dragged Saban kicking and screaming (literally) into a different era. However, the baggage continues to mount. At some point, I fear it will explode into something like a Petrino episode. (It's come damned close). I'd prefer that happen on someone else's watch and turf...
I see lots of innuend in this thread. Can anyone DM me more specifics on Kiffin and why he is so toxic?
see above

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

He's not so toxic that Saban is trying to push him out before the bowl game. I think the intent for each as of right now is to finish the season. I don't think this relationship was ever built to last like the Saban+Smart relationship.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

What I can't fathom is this is the same questions that were being asked this time last season and here we are. Winning cures all.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus [emoji336] using Tapatalk
Maybe, Maybe not... I have to wonder what CLK could do with Jalen in year two?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

I suspect if you find out, you will wish that you hadn't. Just my uneducated guess. I've read more than I care to, at this point, just in a few threads.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'll just say this. If I'm Nick Saban, I'm not going to let the best OC in college football go to my biggest challenger in the SEC West, and the only team in America that has the talent to line up one on one against my team.
We may have to have a very long one on one session in which it's spelled out in no uncertain terms that this, this, or this will result in an immediate dismissal, but I'm not letting him go to LSU.
Believe me, this has been tried, more than once. It doesn't work...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Sometimes, you just have to realize addictions are really hard to overcome, and best to move on.

To some place closer to Nawlins, where it could really explode!

(Could apply to more than one person currently employed by our Athletic Dept.)

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

We are on a 39-3 run and have won 25 in a row, and I think Lane has been a big part of that. I certainly would not have a problem with him staying on another year, as long as what he does off the field is not illegal or a violation of any university rules or code of ethics.
We've learned that even if coaches don't break the law, the culture of an institution is important (think Baylor). The example the coaches set is a key element in that culture. I don't know exactly what Kiffin has done, but from all that has been said, it involves things that are scandalous. Even if it's not illegal or in violation of university rules, you have to consider the possible effect that this example has on the players and their possible good or bad decision making. A role model who celebrates his own arrogance and selfishness is going to instill that in his players -- it's okay to be manipulative and selfish so long as you don't get caught. Being ignorant of the details, I can't truly judge, but to my mind a deep risk here is the effect it has on the minds of the young men.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

We've learned that even if coaches don't break the law, the culture of an institution is important (think Baylor). The example the coaches set is a key element in that culture. I don't know exactly what Kiffin has done, but from all that has been said, it involves things that are scandalous. Even if it's not illegal or in violation of university rules, you have to consider the possible effect that this example has on the players and their possible good or bad decision making. A role model who celebrates his own arrogance and selfishness is going to instill that in his players -- it's okay to be manipulative and selfish so long as you don't get caught. Being ignorant of the details, I can't truly judge, but to my mind a deep risk here is the effect it has on the minds of the young men.
Are you seriously trying to compare what Lane has done to the rape culture at Baylor?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Are you seriously trying to compare what Lane has done to the rape culture at Baylor?
I don't know why you can't get it, but, if you can't, you can't. You're basically saying that anything he's done which is not a violation of law or institutional rules, is OK, so long as it's "win baby." I have a lot less feel for you than I thought. And, actually both may be involved, hence the administration's concern...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I trust Earle 100 percent on what he've said about the relationship between Saban/Kiffin.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

I don't know why you can't get it, but, if you can't, you can't. You're basically saying that anything he's done which is not a violation of law or institutional rules, is OK, so long as it's "win baby." I have a lot less feel for you than I thought. And, actually both may be involved, hence the administration's concern...
I'd have to know all the facts to respond to that, Mr Earle. I'd prefer to have a man of impeccable moral character in each position on the staff, but in today's world I'm not sure that's realistic. Yes, there are some things that I could tolerate, but there are others that I clearly would not. I DO trust that Saban, unlike any of us, is in possession of all the facts and will make the best decision for the program and the university.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I will say this. There's no way in my mind to compare what Petrino did at Arkansas to what went on at Penn State, Baylor, or even FSU. It always irritated me greatly to see consensual activity between adults mixed up with rape, intimidating victims, etc... I believe it takes a lack of a functioning moral compass, and failure to apply logic to confuse the two.

I don't care what consenting adults do with each other. Why the heck should I? What business is it of mine? On the other hand, rape? That's on a whole other level, it's a whole other stratosphere. That's to me is like comparing whipping your child to sexually abusing them. If you get the two mixed up, you have something broken in your head.

Now, having said that, I have no concrete information on what has or hasn't gone on in this instance. But, if it's one, I don't care, if it's the other why the heck is he still here?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I will say this. There's no way in my mind to compare what Petrino did at Arkansas to what went on at Penn State, Baylor, or even FSU. It always irritated me greatly to see consensual activity between adults mixed up with rape, intimidating victims, etc... I believe it takes a lack of a functioning moral compass, and failure to apply logic to confuse the two.

I don't care what consenting adults do with each other. Why the heck should I? What business is it of mine? On the other hand, rape? That's on a whole other level, it's a whole other stratosphere. That's to me is like comparing whipping your child to sexually abusing them. If you get the two mixed up, you have something broken in your head.

Now, having said that, I have no concrete information on what has or hasn't gone on in this instance. But, if it's one, I don't care, if it's the other why the heck is he still here?
The only reason the Petrino incident was as bad as it was, is because of improper benefits. I.e. Promotions and hiring of certain people

Sterling91

Dec 7, 2016
Alabama

I'll wait until I know the facts beyond hints and innuendo before I decide that Kiffin is a despicable person who deserves the wrath of the people to be brought down on him. I have no doubt that there have been indiscretions that Saban has grown weary of and distractions that I would prefer not to be on the team. But I'm not about to label the man a criminal on par with people who have systematically covered up rape. Not defending Kiffin, but I'm also not going to decide he is a terrible person until people are willing to say publicly what exactly has occurred. I would like to think that if Kiffin's actions were illegal, or borderline illegal, that Saban would have shown him the door.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

So... Major Applewhite's buyout is whatever left at time on remaining contract at Houston. So, at the current rate, It's less than 6 million dollar... and if he gets a raise, then buyout goes up. Am I right?

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO

Now I'm rooting for Kiffin to USF, in hopes that he wins the AAC east, Houston wins the AAC West, and the championship game can be billed as the Baggage Bowl.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Now I'm rooting for Kiffin to USF, in hopes that he wins the AAC east, Houston wins the AAC West, and the championship game can be billed as the Baggage Bowl.
ESPN is reporting Charlie Strong is in the running for the USF job. My guess is Strong will be a more attractive candidate for that job than Kiffin at this point. I'm getting the feeling Kiffin's "baggage" has accumulated more "stuff" since arriving in Tuscaloosa and those in the know of college football know it.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO

ESPN is reporting Charlie Strong is in the running for the USF job. My guess is Strong will be a more attractive candidate for that job than Kiffin at this point. I'm getting the feeling Kiffin's "baggage" has accumulated more "stuff" since arriving in Tuscaloosa and those in the know of college football know it.
My stake in this one is purely in the interest of a nickname for a game. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.