Kiffin's future... (Going to FAU, Staying Through CFP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: Any word on Kiffin's interview with UH? (Houston will sign Applewhite)

I don't disagree that he has great potential as a HC. Also given the sanctions & an inept AD he did a good job at USC. While I have no doubt in his knowledge of Xs & Os it just seems to me he lacks the leadership skills to lead a program. People don't seem to follow him. The Houston AD said he wasn't a safe hire. Maybe going to a program like FAU will help him even more. If he can build them into a regular bowl team then maybe he'll gain some trust with a power 5 program or a mid level program like Houston. He's learning the harsh lessons of consequences for actions. I don't blame ADs for not wanting to invest millions of dollars to lead their programs right now. If I were a parent of a recruit I wouldn't want my son playing for him as a HC with the things Earle and others have posted about him. The potential is there no doubt. But potential doesn't always turn into reality for a myriad of reasons. For Kiffin his "indiscretions" are costing him big time.

*Again I'm suggesting him as a HC not an OC. I really like his offense & he's done great things with our offense. And as you do I don't think there's any way he's in Ttown next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. LK IS not a kid anymore, but continues to embody one because of his narcissism and lack of impulse control -- lifelong problems he's either refused to recognize or address. Do we think he'll flip a switch when he gets a head coaching job? That didn't work in Oakland where he made Al Davis look only half insane, or in Knoxville or at USC.

Somebody may hire him, true. But the end game will have already been played. How can he handle a program when he can't or won't handle himself?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I understand that, but it would be like Vince McMahon deciding one of the NC schools coaching future because he is a celebrity billionaire there. My point is any serious football team would never let a non football person decide the program's future. He may be right that lane isn't a good fit, but picking Applewhite over Miles, Rielly, and others on the basis of the team loving him and fear of Texas recruiting hurdles is just plain ludicrous. Miles coached at LSU and Okst both have serious dealings with Texas HS coaches. Heck even Charlie Strong is available, and it's not beyond believability that he could succeed with a decently recruited team, look at his time in Louisville.
Oh don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want him meddling if I'm the AD myself but at a school like Houston who probably can not make it in football without his money I can see why and how he has so much power there. I imagine he has his run of the mill there if he wants it.

Padre, I'm not spreading rumors. I know what I'm talking about. And, as 230 says above, anyone with access to a computer can satisfy themselves easily as to the accuracy. It's not just loose idle talk or it would have been removed here long ago...
This is proof enough they are not rumors. HSV don't go about spreading rumors on here and if he says it then I know I can believe it. Where there is smoke there is fire, and there has been a ton of fire coming from Kiffin's way for a while now. Sadly there is some truth to the rumors.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

This is why I feel he is not HC material. Forget all the off-the-field stuff: he is just not mature enough, to lead a "big time" football program. He knows enough football, to do the job, but doesn't project the image of a stable, mature leader. Based solely on that, there is no way he worth the monetary investment it would take for him the be the HC, at a major program.

Add in all the other crap, he might be worth the minimal investment, at a far lesser program.

Or, better yet, just go back to the NFL, and be the OC, at some place like Cleveland. They need all the help they can get. (The best part would be when you consider who owns that team...............it could make for an interesting reunion, of sorts.)

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

I wonder why he seems focused on staying at the college level. Given the baggage, it seems like he would fit in better with some NFL team as OC or QB coach.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

I wonder why he seems focused on staying at the college level. Given the baggage, it seems like he would fit in better with some NFL team as OC or QB coach.
Well that would probably depend on an NFL team showing interest and I don't believe any have.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

One thing I'll add about CLK's personality - my parents and brother attended a couple of USC alumni events when CLK was the HC there. They all said that he wasn't really all that great talking with the alumni there in terms of a large group of people. His players have basically reinforced this perception by raving about how great of an X's/O's guy he is as well in the game-planning aspect. I think this introverted personality of CLK, combined with the other off-the-field activities, really hurts him as an overall candidate in the eyes of ADs and presidents. Now, I would also add that CLK has been in college football coaching long enough that he should be able to turn on/off his introverted personality depending on the situation that he is in. I appreciate the work that he did with the offense, making all three starting QB's look really good at times, and helping CNS adjust to this era of offensive football. But, he has his demons, and I feel like he needs a change of scenery to continue his maturation process.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Padre, I'm not spreading rumors. I know what I'm talking about. And, as 230 says above, anyone with access to a computer can satisfy themselves easily as to the accuracy. It's not just loose idle talk or it would have been removed here long ago...
Earle, I understand and trust you...its just that when I google Lk or JFreswater all I get are year old rumors. Oh well...the truth will come out.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

While I know he'll get another shot, I wonder if he's not HC material. He's proven himself as a good OC/QB coach but an underwhelming HC. I know he had 1 10 win season @ USC but outside this he hasn't done much. Some guys just fit the role as an assistant better no matter how much they desire to be a HC. He's good at the Xs and Os but ineffective at leading the program.

I totally agree with this post. IMO nothing in his past indicates he will be a successful head coach. He obviously is a gifted OC and play caller but nothing I have seen indicates he has the wisdom, discipline, attitude and respect that are essential for a head coach. This, together with his off the field antics, is why he is having a difficult time landing a HC job in spite of the fact that he has worked for CNS.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

I totally agree with this post. IMO nothing in his past indicates he will be a successful head coach. He obviously is a gifted OC and play caller but nothing I have seen indicates he has the wisdom, discipline, attitude and respect that are essential for a head coach. This, together with his off the field antics, is why he is having a difficult time landing a HC job in spite of the fact that he has worked for CNS.
some coaches just are cut out to be HC. There is nothing at all wrong with that. Some coaches have very long successful careers as a coordinator or position coach.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Earle, I understand and trust you...its just that when I google Lk or JFreswater all I get are year old rumors. Oh well...the truth will come out.
Some of what you're reading are not rumors at all. There's much, much more that's never made the internet. Your statement about the truth may or may not be true. If it does come out, I'd prefer he not be our employee when it does and that's the reason I'd just as soon he moved on down the road. I suppose the the truth is out there already, in that he couldn't find another job last February and, so far, hasn't been able to this go-round, despite his obvious skill as an onfield coach. I used to think that, eventually, some school would take a chance on him. Now, I'm not so sure. I appreciate what he's done thus far. I just think it's time for a change...

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Any word on Kiffin's interview with UH? (Houston will sign Applewhite)

Some of what you're reading are not rumors at all. There's much, much more that's never made the internet. Your statement about the truth may or may not be true. If it does come out, I'd prefer he not be our employee when it does and that's the reason I'd just as soon he moved on down the road. I suppose the the truth is out there already, in that he couldn't find another job last February and, so far, hasn't been able to this go-round, despite his obvious skill as an onfield coach. I used to think that, eventually, some school would take a chance on him. Now, I'm not so sure. I appreciate what he's done thus far. I just think it's time for a change...
I suppose LSU will hire him - which is fine with me. I have confidence our defense can stop our offense - or LSU's with Kiffin as OC.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

This is the proof in the puddin' for me. These programs passing on Kiffin know the dirty deails of his transgressions and are saying "thanks but no thanks".

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I suppose LSU will hire him - which is fine with me. I have confidence our defense can stop our offense - or LSU's with Kiffin as OC.

TBF, I'd love it. Saban's pupil's seem to have a hard time besting him...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

This is the proof in the puddin' for me. These programs passing on Kiffin know the dirty deails of his transgressions and are saying "thanks but no thanks".
Yes, you'd think that the news that FAU may be looking in another direction, given Lanes' recent accomplishments, would give even the most hardened skeptic pause for thought...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Honestly, I think the the LSU talk really poisoned the well for his HC prospects. Administrators probably had "their people" snooping around Tuscaloosa bit. A lateral move to an in-conference rival - while you have the literal setup: true freshman star QB, most of the skill guys and OL returning, etc - is frankly odd and raises red flags to anyone involved in trying to hire him.

Lane may want to ignore Coach O's calls because he may have just screwed him.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

Maybe Coach Orgeron is the one spreading the worst rumor information, to make sure Kiffin has no other option but LSU :conf2:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I don't know about that but I do believe the befuddling lateral move talk made people consider that some of the pre-existing rumors likely are true and maybe worse than anybody knows.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Honestly, I think the the LSU talk really poisoned the well for his HC prospects. Administrators probably had "their people" snooping around Tuscaloosa bit. A lateral move to an in-conference rival - while you have the literal setup: true freshman star QB, most of the skill guys and OL returning, etc - is frankly odd and raises red flags to anyone involved in trying to hire him.

Lane may want to ignore Coach O's calls because he may have just screwed him.
Couldn't agree more - it started the media clock sooner than anyone was prepared for.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

If he goes to LSU and Alabama stuffs his offense there, his credibility as an OC will take a hit. He can't afford to take even the slightest step backward right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.