The real life effects of fake news part 2

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The point above being that the real media didn't help the problem with outrageous claims of their own making as they undermined their own credibility. The left bought it all, hook line and sinker. And that opened the door for outrageous and untrue claims to be more believable.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
You seem very emotionally invested in what you perceive as my emotional investment. Maybe you should walk outside more. Enjoy nature. Or re-watch the Florida game. Relax and unwind.
Curious that you find me emotionally invested. I thought it was obvious that I am cold, emotionless, and largely without empathy. Personally, I am amused by the fake news fixation. But there you go...I guess amusement is an emotion so color me invested.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The point above being that the real media didn't help the problem with outrageous claims of their own making as they undermined their own credibility. The left bought it all, hook line and sinker. And that opened the door for outrageous and untrue claims to be more believable.
They saw him as a magical rating machine until the last 3 weeks of the election. They admitted this throughout the campaign, and he exploited that masterfully. All he had to do was make outrageous statements in rallies or on twitter, and the media was drawn exclusively to that. They never reported on substance because he knows how they think -- people would rather digest 5 minutes of outrage everyday than 30 minutes of substantive in-the-weeds policy. And they did, on both sides.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Can you cite some examples from these sources? I read some of those and didn't see anything of the sort.
A relatively benign example.
Donald Trump To Campaign With Fellow Vulgar, Racist, Sexual Deviant, Ted Nugent
When did Daily Kos use the word "vulgar" to refer to Miley Cyrus (or an "entertainer" on the left)?

I'm supposed to be suddenly outraged because the Daily Kos has discovered the word "vulgar" in the thesaurus? And Daily Kos is the new guardian of what constitute sexual deviancy?
In the end, I decided to not let left-wingnut media control who I vote for, although ticking off leftists is a lot of fun.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
They saw him as a magical rating machine until the last 3 weeks of the election. They admitted this throughout the campaign, and he exploited that masterfully. All he had to do was make outrageous statements in rallies or on twitter, and the media was drawn exclusively to that. They never reported on substance because he knows how they think -- people would rather digest 5 minutes of outrage everyday than 30 minutes of substantive in-the-weeds policy. And they did, on both sides.
And the media care more about ratings than they care about the truth. Than they care about their precious "responsibility. Their role as arbiter of truth. Than they care about giving information without bias. and so on...

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
The fake news hysteria is further whistling past the graveyard for the establishment. The irony of all of is the left media clamoring for an open and free press with the hand-wringing over Trump are wanting Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc. to crack down on what they deem "fake" news, all the while championing a report from the Washington Post that supported an anonymous group with subjective criteria accusing hundreds of websites across the political spectrum of being Russian propaganda actors or "useful idiots".

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Major media outlets have made clear that THEY want to be the filter for everyone. They criticized Trump for releasing a video on facebook instead of through them. I actually heard them say that they did not get to filter the news and that releasing straight to the public constituted "propaganda". This is in the same breath. Literally. on CNN. They are angry that they have lost their power and are attempting to actively destroy not just the real "fake news" sites, but also real news sites with a rightward spin or any other spin that isn't leftward. That's why they are playing up the fake news angle and the lefties are buying it hook line and sinker. Again. Just like everything else they are buying.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Two nights again I decided to watch NBC News just to see how far left they have drifted.
News story 1: NBC reporter was mourning the death of a murderous communist dictator. No mention of how many Cubans Castro had killed, imprisoned, exiled. Just adoring Cuban "fans."
2. Miguel Almaguer covering the Oakland fire. He said, and I'm quoting directly, "The city dropped the ball." The city dropped the ball? How about the dozens of knuckleheads who went inside what was obviously an unsafe building being used for some other purpose for which it was designed?
3. NBC relying on SPLC data to "prove" the rise in racism since Trump's election. No mention of the fact that SPLC makes all its money from convincing donors that racism is always on the rise. If racism disappeared, the SPLC would be out of business. They need racism to exist. And the examples of racism NBC showed (mostly spray painted words), I could easily see being done by BLM/Occupy Wall Street types intent on showing America how bad racism is after Trump's election.

That was a sufficient experiment for me not to waste any more time watching NBC.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Major media outlets have made clear that THEY want to be the filter for everyone. They criticized Trump for releasing a video on facebook instead of through them. I actually heard them say that they did not get to filter the news and that releasing straight to the public constituted "propaganda". This is in the same breath. Literally. on CNN. They are angry that they have lost their power and are attempting to actively destroy not just the real "fake news" sites, but also real news sites with a rightward spin or any other spin that isn't leftward. That's why they are playing up the fake news angle and the lefties are buying it hook line and sinker. Again. Just like everything else they are buying.
It is ironic that the left is supposed to be less likely to be duped by fake news (according to a self-professed fake news site).

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
And here is an example of a news story that the left-wing media chose, for whatever reason, to ignore:
‘Enabler’ Hillary Clinton haunted by efforts to ‘destroy’ husband’s accusers
How many times over the last year did NPR/CNN/NBC report how Hillary headed the "bimbo eruptions" cell in the Clinton campaign in 1992, to discredit Bill's female victims? Or that James Carville, in responding to allegations of Bill's sexual assault/harassment said, "If you drag a hundred-dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you'll find."

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Is reporting a "staged event" as a "spontaneous event" considered fake news by our resident FES?

WashPo - Here’s what happens when Miley Cyrus door knocks for Hillary Clinton at a college dorm

HuffPo - Miley Cyrus Had The Best Time Campaigning For Hillary Clinton This Weekend

US Weekly - Miley Cyrus Surprises George Mason University Students in Push to Vote for Hillary Clinton

CNN - The time Miley Cyrus knocked on dorm room doors to campaign for Clinton

And the oppossing side:

Breitbart Exclusive – ‘Publicity Stunt’: Emails Show Miley Cyrus Dorm Room Visit for Hillary Clinton Completely Pre-Staged

But according to emails between a university administator and a parent of a student at the school, provided under a state public records request by the nearby Americans for Limited Government Foundation, the event was little more than a university-coordinated photo opportunity, as the students Cyrus was to meet with had already been pre-selected to participate.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
So, all of a sudden people (over)react to rumors, half-truths, and falsehoods?

I seem to recall some years ago one news magazine program was determined to show that GM's cars were bombs on wheels. So, they rigged the cars to explode.

Another news magazine program (60 Minutes?) wanted to portray Bush as a draft dodger. So, they forged some documents.

Women have been burned at the stake after being accused of witchcraft. I don't think they were really witches.

Throughout history countless wars, genocides, and other atrocities have been committed based on dubious information that riled up the torch and pitchfork crowd.

Or maybe it only started happening the last couple of months.

Last edited:

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
What happened was the Left got "shellacked" and they are still trying to blame something..."If only those stupid, lazy Trumpkins had known the facts and not believed all those fake news stories"

I honestly hope the Left/Dems continue with this line of thinking, live in their precious bubble and not learn from what happened.

F E S

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Read That Last Night. Also this and some of the linked articles: https://reason.com/blog/2016/12/19/yes-political-correctness-helped-elect-t

I almost hate to post reason articles so much, but the quality of writing there is so far above nearly anywhere else. It's not merely the ideas, but how the ideas are presented and even the self-criticism and willingness to concede on points.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Fake/misleading headlines are just as bad and not necessarily politically motivated. Awhile ago I got a headline in my Yahoo feed that said "Clint Eastwood Gone at 86". Yeah, I clicked on that one. Saw it a few times more. Now I'm seeing "Megan Kelly Gone at 45".:rolleyes:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.