Let's Regale Ourselves (as we wait for the CFP)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's a great time to be a Bama fan. I was a boy living through the 70's but I appreciate this past decade so much more. Furthermore, I realize this won't last forever.

Before someone says it, I know we've only won the SEC (which is huge) but we have bigger fish to fry. I'd just remind you that we, here at TideFans, are not preparing, practicing or playing in the CFP so IMO it's OK for us to just enjoy this and look forward to what we believe will be another National Championship.

Real thrust of this thread is I'm wondering how you are enjoying the praise and/or jealousy you are getting from rival fans/non-Bama fans?

Living out in Texas, I'm sure it's much different that those of you back in Alabama who deal with Barners on a regular basis. Here I'm continually be told that NOBODY will beat us. Some of my Longhorn buddies joke about who's the "next team we will abuse." Our resident Sooner fans, TCU fans, Tech fans, and TAMU fans are all in agreement that we are just on another level.

It's amusing to me that almost everybody who bothered to talk to me about Bama after our 54-16 win against UF said it was total domination, but most of us saw where there could be huge improvements!!!

Man, these are good times!!! What are y'all hearing???

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This has never been done before. It will probably never be duplicated. How will you remember this run? As a fan who worried about every game or a fan who looked forward to every challenge with joy?

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
This has never been done before. It will probably never be duplicated. How will you remember this run? As a fan who worried about every game or a fan who looked forward to every challenge with joy?

Enjoy it while it lasts.
While I look forward to every challenge with joy, I do so also as a fan who worries about every game. How`s that? I don`t think that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. I`m just too old to change! And do rest assured that I`m enjoying every minute!

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I told my wife the other day that at some point I was going to have to come back down to earth and be a normal fan again. If Bama does a decent job of replacing CNS the Tide will be relevant and generally be a top 20 team with the ability to get into the top 4, but this level of play is insane. I get a little stressed sometimes, but generally I have enjoyed this run. I've gotten to go to some great games. I was at Maximum Block against Tennessee, I was there when Tebow cried, I watched us end the streak against the Barn, and watched Notre Dame get dismantled. I live in South Florida so I don't get to go to as many games as I want to, but I love this run.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
While I look forward to every challenge with joy, I do so also as a fan who worries about every game. How`s that? I don`t think that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. I`m just too old to change! And do rest assured that I`m enjoying every minute!
My wife doesn't. She was relieved at the end of the Clemson game far more than she was happy. I don't think that she really enjoyed the game at all since it was so close. She likes watching replays of it now, but sitting next to her as it played out, she was hating life during the game.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

Enjoy it while it lasts.
I tell my sons to try and take this in and appreciate it. I know they won't 100% just like I didn't while I was a kid in the 70's. I watched, I knew Coach Bryant was great because everyone told me so, but I didn't understand the magnitude of it all. But I tell you this, I soak this in everyday like it might be the last. I appreciate what Coach Saban has done. Roll Tide!

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I love talking to my Dad about this because he's lived through the Ears Whitworth years through Saban. He's told me several times to just enjoy the run because, before you know it, it will eventually have to come to an end at some point. Now does that stop me from worrying about the next opponnent? No. It does, however, make me appreciate the brand of football Bama is playing right now. I don't know if I'll ever get to see this kind of dominance again, so I'm soaking it in as much as possible!

As for the jealousy from rival fans, Memphis is sort of a Mecca of college football right now. There are so many fans from so many schools, but for some strange reason I work with a too many auburnites. It's just been really quiet the past 3 years from them and, let me tell ya, it's been quite awesome!

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My wife doesn't. She was relieved at the end of the Clemson game far more than she was happy. I don't think that she really enjoyed the game at all since it was so close. She likes watching replays of it now, but sitting next to her as it played out, she was hating life during the game.
It's hard to watch a game like that when it's going back and forth and "enjoy" it if you care at a level that most of us care about Bama football.

However, I don't understand how she could not "enjoy" it when it was all over, especially it being the pinnacle of what Bama is playing for...the NC.

Closest I can come to relating to that is when we've played Auburn a few times when it was a real close game and Bama had "everything" to lose because it might have kept them from accomplishing the real goal of an SEC championship or NC. At the end of a couple of those games I felt more "relieved" than "happy" because the work wasn't done just yet!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's hard to watch a game like that when it's going back and forth and "enjoy" it if you care at a level that most of us care about Bama football.

However, I don't understand how she could not "enjoy" it when it was all over, especially it being the pinnacle of what Bama is playing for...the NC.

Closest I can come to relating to that is when we've played Auburn a few times when it was a real close game and Bama had "everything" to lose because it might have kept them from accomplishing the real goal of an SEC championship or NC. At the end of a couple of those games I felt more "relieved" than "happy" because the work wasn't done just yet!
I was far happier than she was when the game was over, probably because I never, for a second, saw Alabama losing the game. Could they have lost? Sure. But why think like that?

Saban has the entire Alabama fan base processed. You are worried about stopping the next drive after a score instead of celebrating that score. Only when the victory formation is in use do you really relax. :biggrin:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I told my wife the other day that at some point I was going to have to come back down to earth and be a normal fan again. If Bama does a decent job of replacing CNS the Tide will be relevant and generally be a top 20 team with the ability to get into the top 4, but this level of play is insane. I get a little stressed sometimes, but generally I have enjoyed this run. I've gotten to go to some great games. I was at Maximum Block against Tennessee, I was there when Tebow cried, I watched us end the streak against the Barn, and watched Notre Dame get dismantled. I live in South Florida so I don't get to go to as many games as I want to, but I love this run.

Won't be easy.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
As a fan I approach games like CNS was talking about the other day. How he hates losing more than he enjoys winning. That's me. I'm a nervous wreck during close games, I'm just gutted when we lose, I'm angry when we don't play at even 75-85% of how well we are capable of, and I'm just relieved to win.

The only time I can deal with a loss in a good way is if I really felt the other team just straight beat us because they were better that day. The two most recent times that's happened for me is 2010 USCe and 2014 tOSU. We just weren't the best team those two days. Every other loss in this era though it was because we beat ourselves and that's hard to swallow.

But yes these are amazing times. I always enjoy the replays of games but man I'm out of sorts live which is why I don't post often in the game thread....lol. I wish I could enjoy the games more as they happen but I just get so emotionally invested it's difficult sometimes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
But yes these are amazing times. I always enjoy the replays of games but man I'm out of sorts live which is why I don't post often in the game thread....lol. I wish I could enjoy the games more as they happen but I just get so emotionally invested it's difficult sometimes.
We are on the same page! I really enjoy going back and watching the replay of a close game, but it's hard to be entertained during a game that is so nip and tuck.

Same for me on Game Threads too. Just too much negativity and nervousness. I like to sometime scan them afterwards to see who was freaking out!:wink:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Man, these are good times!!! What are y'all hearing???
I've been around enough to remember being bored as the Braves were 2 games up over the Yankees in 96. I'll never ever be a complacent fan again ;-) After suffering between '92 and '09, I'll always appreciate every great Bama season under CNS -- even the ones we let get away ;-) ... I tell my son, what you are seeing is pretty much unprecedented. I can't believe I'm saying it but this is even much better than when CPB was here. I'd like to think he would agree as well and would be just as proud of CNS and the class that is Bama over the last few years. Roll Tide Roll!!!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Enjoy it while it lasts.
I used to be the former, but morphed into the latter at some point during the past decade. I suspect it began when my wife and I started having kids.

I still get nervous but it has became nervous anticipation for whatever amazing thing Alabama is about to do next. Five or six years ago that Clemson game would have made me sick. But on that night, I just watched in awe as Alabama responded time and time again.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One thing I meant to add in the original post: I've had a lot of people ask if I was getting tired of all the Bama blowouts.

It amazes me that people would think that we would get tired of winning; especially in dominant fashion.

I usually tell people "It may be boring to you, but I love every minute of it!"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.