Hello Bama Fans. Let me tell you about Washington

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
BTW, nicely done.
You are a good sport. It's not easy to go to another team's fan board and respectfully haggle and talk shop and stats. Haven't had a lot of good fans so far. Just wanted to encourage you one human to another.

(Edit: Not to say we are being jerks- but it's obviously a Bama board and we are gonna defend Bama and some people can't handle the pushback and lash out.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Re: 263

Since I started following Washington football they've lost 263 times. While I'm hoping #264 doesn't happen for awhile ... odds are it will come relatively soon to a great college football program.

That being said, I'm hopeful that win #405 is one for the annals, right up there with the '78 Rose Bowl, the '85 Orange Bowl and the '60 Rose Bowl.
I am hoping to marry a super model someday. I guess there is no harm in hoping.

GoZags

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2016
You are a good sport. It's not easy to go to another team's fan board and respectfully haggle and talk shop and stats. Haven't had a lot of good fans so far. Just wanted to encourage you one human to another.

(Edit: Not to say we are being jerks- but it's obviously a Bama board and we are gonna defend Bama and some people can't handle the pushback and lash out.)

I understand that I'm a guest here and even though I didn't "need" a warning by perusing this thread I "noticed" that after a warning or two the Mods aren't hesitant to pull the trigger. FWIW I've been a part of Virginia's hoops board since '01 (GU met them in the '01 dance) and Florida's swampgas for the last decade or so (GU beat them in the '99 Sweet 16, then beat them in Orlando a couple of weeks ago). I enjoy the banter (and usually try not to be a jerk).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The regional SI covers have one very telling difference. The Northwest cover offers to tell us "Why the Huskies Can Win It", while the Southeast cover offers, "Why the Tide Will Win It". In one market they pander for sales - in the other market (and the rest of the country) they tell us what they really believe.
What does the OSU cover say at your corner bookstore?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't think UGA, Missouri, Vandy or South Carolina would have been much of a struggle if we had played them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I watched the Clemson/North Carolina State game as well as the ACC final. Sure, that was just "2" games but both left me unimpressed with Clemson. And I'm willing to bet that's at least 1 more game than Clemson fans watched Washington this year. To me, a 31 point conference championship game win over #8 trumps a 7 point championship game win over #23.
A couple of things. First of all, you ARE probably right that you saw more Clemson games than they saw Washington games. I once lived near Sacramento, and I will confess that you really have to LIVE on the West Coast to comprehend 'East Coast bias.' Of course to be fair, some of it is because your games start around bed time for sane people on the Atlantic Coast, too.

Clemson is not as good as they were last year. One gets the idea that they are like the FSU 2013 (unbeaten and won it all) and 2014 (snuck into the playoff and got blasted).

Also, this "weak" schedule argument. At the end of the season, UW's schedule was something like 14 or 15 (out of the 128). They played 10 conference games plus 3 OOC. The big whining was from the Big Can't Count to 10 pundits/shills (can Ohio State get any more guys on ESPN?). UW's first game was against Big 10 Rutgers (who was 9-4 when the game was scheduled).
I understand Rutgers was good when the game was scheduled, and I don't hold that against you guys as if you're pulling a Boise State (only play good teams in the opener, demand cupcake money or a home and home against anyone else).

The fact remains that when looking through the numbers, it's undeniable the teams you played don't add up to what the other three did. That being said - I still think you're one of the four most deserving teams in the country, and the game will be won on the field.

In the meantime, Michigan was hurting their shoulders patting themselves on the back for scheduling Colorado (and won at home when the CU qb was injured in the 3rd quarter ... with the lead). Colorado was 12th in the Pac 12 three years running when THAT game was scheduled.
Well, Michigan and Colorado have a history off and on going back a ways with some exciting games. But as far as the injured quarterback....didn't Ohio State win a national championship a few years back when their first AND second string QBs went out.....and their third faced #1 Alabama?

The bigger problem in the schedule comparison isn't because you played Rutgers and they played Colorado because - after all - they also played Rutgers ON THE ROAD and MORE THAN DOUBLED your trouncing of the Scarlet Knights on your own turf.

That's damn hard to do when you have to double THIRTY-FIVE points...but that may also be part of the problem. Rutgers had only 39 yards of total offense against the maize and blue while they had more first downs than the Huskies and over 300 yards of offense.

But again - I don't think anyone can really hold Rutgers against you even though it didn't help. The fact you won your division and trounced Colorado is the difference in your going to Atlanta versus another Holiday Bowl trip.

So ... I understand ... UW's OOC ranked 127 out of 128 ... and until they played ranked Utah on the road (late in the season), ranked Washington State on the road (late in the season) and Colorado in the Pac 12 Championship, their OVERALL schedule was weak, too. But they PLAYED those games (and won those games). They also played (and lost) to USC at home (NOT a "pretty" sight that night). But the "meme" didn't change. So Washington went 12-1 with a Top 15 schedule and were "treated" as if they went 12-1 with the 127th ranked schedule.
I think it's more of a case of other things. First, Washington is NOT Michigan name wise. That's just a fact of life. Secondly, it became more of an issue BECAUSE of the Big Ten four-team debacle. Having four teams in the running actually made your schedule look worse than it really is. But it probably would have been better for your rep to have beaten USC and lost to maybe Wazzu but still won out. You'd probably have been looked at better.

Ohio State shouldn't have been "Top 3" as they sat on their duffs during "Championship" Saturday. They didn't even win their division.
True, but the quirks that cause that are why that's a bad argument. Nebraska didn't win their division in 2001, Oklahoma in 2003 or Alabama in 2011, either.

On the other hand, they had a much easier time with Rutgers than Washington did.

THAT is why I felt Washington was a "bit" undersold.
It's probably because you're not Michigan or Ohio State. However, putting your name in the playoff NOW will help you in the next few years if you're close. It does give you a pedigree that will win out most close arguments. That's part of why Clemson got the benefit this year - because they went toe to toe with Alabama for an entire game last year. That's a rare thing anymore. That's why even a decent loss by not much will HELP you if you're in the hunt next year. It won't win out over the big names of Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, or Ohio State - but it will beat almost anybody else.

And don't get me started on Barry Alvarez's "Committee". Stanford can't stand Washington. Tyrone Willingham (Washington's 0-12 disaster of a coach who was too busy playing golf to recruit/coach is STILL questioning why he was let go). Then there's Condi Rice. Hmmm .... 2 from Stanford "representing" the west. Right.
I believe Dr Rice's allegiance is actually to Alabama.

Let's just say I'm happy to make the playoffs .... and am looking forward to the next few weeks.

I've "read" a bit about UW just being lucky to be here. I have a feeling the Huskies are going to be around for awhile.
You're 'lucky' in the sense that you probably would not be here if Ohio State had beaten Penn State and Michigan had beaten Iowa...or Penn State had just beaten Pitt.

Had ANY of those happened...Washington is probably at home and heading to the Holiday. Okay, maybe the Rose Bowl.

GoZags

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2016
You're 'lucky' in the sense that you probably would not be here if Ohio State had beaten Penn State and Michigan had beaten Iowa...or Penn State had just beaten Pitt.

Had ANY of those happened...Washington is probably at home and heading to the Holiday. Okay, maybe the Rose Bowl.
Excellent point by point response. My only retort is to your last point. As outright Champion of the Pac 12 (and winner of the Pac 12 Championship Game) there is zero doubt that they earned the Rose Bowl invitation had the playoffs not happened. Only if the Champion is unable to participate do they get to "select" who goes. Oh, and your "what if" scenario didn't address the "luckiest" win of the year, when the NC State kicker gagged the chip shot f.g. to conclude the Wolf Pack flat out giving the game to Clemson.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Excellent point by point response. My only retort is to your last point. As outright Champion of the Pac 12 (and winner of the Pac 12 Championship Game) there is zero doubt that they earned the Rose Bowl invitation had the playoffs not happened. Only if the Champion is unable to participate do they get to "select" who goes. Oh, and your "what if" scenario didn't address the "luckiest" win of the year, when the NC State kicker gagged the chip shot f.g. to conclude the Wolf Pack flat out giving the game to Clemson.
I, for one, understand your chagrin and I think you have substantial arguments for being on the other side of the bracket. OTOH, I understand the committee's perception that UW is not as tough a team as Clemson, which mirrors the general public's. Only time will tell. Like most Bama fans, so long as we make the playoffs, I don't really care who we play and when. Let the chips fall where they may...

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
It seems like Clemson is the common foe that Washington fans are upset with. It would be a shame if the UW vs UA game were one for the ages and the rest somewhat boring.

Four good teams got into the playoffs and hopefully every game will prove each is as good as advertised.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The reason I didn't address it should be obvious: if Clemson had TWO losses, they're out and Washington is in. Clemson's win over NC State didn't affect Washington in the least. If Clemson loses then those other games I listed become more important than before.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It seems like Clemson is the common foe that Washington fans are upset with. It would be a shame if the UW vs UA game were one for the ages and the rest somewhat boring.

Four good teams got into the playoffs and hopefully every game will prove each is as good as advertised.
And I don't get this argument...if Washington has been excluded I'd understand it a little more.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
And I don't understand how Clemson STRUGGLING to beat #23 Virginia Tech (by 7) somehow is more meaningful than Washington beating #8 Colorado by 31. And Colorado is still Top 10.
Washington is a Pac 12 team. Pac 12 and Big 12 teams don't get the love and respect in general that the SEC, Big 10 and ACC teams do. You're basically in a black sheep Conference just like the Big 12 is and both of these Conferences are not known for great defense and you're basically called Basketball on grass for a reason. SEC, ACC and Big 10 will always get the nod over your Conference and the Big 12 when everything looks even due to those reasons alone. The perception in the South and Southeast is that the Pac 12 and Big 12 Conferences are soft and play finesse Football. That outlook has permeated elsewhere and public opinion reflects it. Just look at the playoff committee.

I think the only way to change that opinion is by not only beating Alabama, but by multiple teams in these Conferences winning multiple Championships not named USC, Texas or Oklahoma. These two Conferences desperately need someone else to step to the forefront and win multiple titles in a few year span. Do that, and perception changes. Until then, don't blame the committee or anyone else, blame your Conference and ask yourself why and how your Conference became to be that the perception of the rest of the country is that your soft and finesse (Re: Basketball on grass)

The other three teams in the playoff with you build their programs the way Football is meant to be played and won. From the inside out. Pac 12 and Big 12 build their programs from the outside in. This is why you see teams from out West lose to teams out East. We beat you in the trenches. Win in the trenches and your skill players can't get going because this means your QB is always laying on his back. Clemson smashed Oklahoma last year (Big 12 team) because they dominated the line of scrimmage and that Basketball on grass offense couldn't get going. Ohio State beat Oklahoma in Norman THIS season...Why? Because Ohio State killed them at the line of scrimmage. The same Oklahoma team that went undefeated in their Conference this season.

SEC/ACC/Big 10 = Built Inside Out
Pac 12/Big 12 = Built Outside In

And people notice that. Its clear as day.

So if you want respect, don't flash in the pan it. Be consistently good and always in the National Title conversation over a long period of time like the SEC has. Plenty of flash in the pan teams have come and gone over the years outside of our conference that thought they could beat Alabama. They were not consistent. Alabama has remained Alabama and meanwhile, those flashes in the pan are nothing but a footnote. Don't be a footnote. Be consistent. Don't win your conference this year only to go 4-8 next year like many MANY teams do. I promise you. Win or lose against Alabama, Alabama will be right back in the thick of things next year. Will your team?

Last edited:

GoZags

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2016
Gozags, are the Zags going to cover today? I really need to know..
;)
Classic trap game against a VERY good opponent. Also, in the middle of Finals. I'd leave it alone (knowing, of course, that anything can happen). That's my 2 cents worth.

GoZags

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 4, 2016
Washington is a Pac 12 team. Pac 12 and Big 12 teams don't get the love and respect in general that the SEC, Big 10 and ACC teams do. You're basically in a black sheep Conference just like the Big 12 is and both of these Conferences are not known for great defense and you're basically called Basketball on grass for a reason. SEC, ACC and Big 10 will always get the nod over your Conference and the Big 12 when everything looks even due to those reasons alone. The perception in the South and Southeast is that the Pac 12 and Big 12 Conferences are soft and play finesse Football. That outlook has permeated elsewhere and public opinion reflects it. Just look at the playoff committee.

I think the only way to change that opinion is by not only beating Alabama, but by multiple teams in these Conferences winning multiple Championships not named USC, Texas or Oklahoma. These two Conferences desperately need someone else to step to the forefront and win multiple titles in a few year span. Do that, and perception changes. Until then, don't blame the committee or anyone else, blame your Conference and ask yourself why and how your Conference became to be that the perception of the rest of the country is that your soft and finesse (Re: Basketball on grass)

The other three teams in the playoff with you build their programs the way Football is meant to be played and won. From the inside out. Pac 12 and Big 12 build their programs from the outside in. This is why you see teams from out West lose to teams out East. We beat you in the trenches. Win in the trenches and your skill players can't get going because this means your QB is always laying on his back. Clemson smashed Oklahoma last year (Big 12 team) because they dominated the line of scrimmage and that Basketball on grass offense couldn't get going. Ohio State beat Oklahoma in Norman THIS season...Why? Because Ohio State killed them at the line of scrimmage. The same Oklahoma team that went undefeated in their Conference this season.

SEC/ACC/Big 10 = Built Inside Out
Pac 12/Big 12 = Built Outside In

And people notice that. Its clear as day.

So if you want respect, don't flash in the pan it. Be consistently good and always in the National Title conversation over a long period of time like the SEC has. Plenty of flash in the pan teams have come and gone over the years outside of our conference that thought they could beat Alabama. They were not consistent. Alabama has remained Alabama and meanwhile, those flashes in the pan are nothing but a footnote. Don't be a footnote. Be consistent. Don't win your conference this year only to go 4-8 next year like many MANY teams do. I promise you. Win or lose against Alabama, Alabama will be right back in the thick of things next year. Will your team?
Some good and fair points. I'm of the belief that Chris Peterson is one of the Top 3-5 coaches in college football, and he's been on the job at UW for 3 seasons now. Since Washington had experienced 6 or more losses in 13 of the past 14 seasons, I'm thinking that the future is pretty bright at UDub vis a vis their ability to hang around for awhile.

Also ... it's interesting to note that the "basketball" conference has owned the "do it the right right way" Big 10 (or whatever they're called) in the Rose Bowl, winning those matchups at a 2 to 1 margin. And this year, it's my belief that the Pac's dominance in the Rose Bowl will continue (and I don't think it will be pretty). We'll all see soon enough.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I went up to Seattle for a software developer conference in the late 00s and came away with a really positive opinion of the city. I've always figured I'd end up in that part of the country due to my job skills. There are a couple of podcasts I listen to that features a Seattlite, John Roderick. He's a musician from an indie band that got started in that music scene. So I've heard a ton of stories about his dad's time at UW (from likely around the days we were playing Rose Bowls against each other) and his own time at Gonzaga. He's a pretty considered guy and good to listen because a lot times he's got an angle on something I haven't quite considered (not that I always 100% agree). I think he even ran for a city council position last year (unsuccessfully).

Anyway, it seems like Seattle, WA has been a place that keeps on poking at my mind lately for whatever reason. So of course we'd end up playing UDub out of Seattle in the playoffs this year!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.