Hello Bama Fans. Let me tell you about Washington

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
Hi Bama fans!

First, let me start by saying I come in peace (and thank you mods for letting me post). As a college football fan, I’m a Bama fan in that I respect how Bama goes about its business. Also, Saban is a Don James disciple, so he’s part of the “extended family” to speak. I’m a regular poster on UDUB’s main forum (Dawgman.com) with over 10,000 posts. I’ve travelled with the team for 20+ years to away games, e.g., LSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Oklahoma, etc. I plan on being in Atlanta and looking forward to it.

Also, I’ll admit that Bama beats us 9/10 (which jives with the line as, 15% of 2 TD dogs generally win a game). I have no illusions, you guys are better than us. I’m just hoping we have our A game and pull one out, but I’m realistic.

The purpose of this post is to give you a flavor of our team. So the highlights:

- We have an amazing defensive backfield, with 4 NFL players. Jones is our top CB, and he’s a 1st round pick in many NFL draft mocks. He’s Marcus Peters (a recent ex-Dawg) 2.0, and we all know how Peters is doing in the NFL. Budda Baker is our Earl Thomas like safety, and he won’t fall lower than the 2nd round. He’s a 4 star recruit and Thorpe semi-finalist. Also a mid-season all American too many (http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/10/18/2016-midseason-all-america-team) King, our other CB, is going in the first three rounds in the draft (been mocked in all three). Taylor Rapp is a true frosh. He was Pac-12 Defensive Freshman of the year and the MVP of the Pac-12 Championship game. All four of our DBs will play on Sundays, and it is the strongest part of our team.

- Our defensive line is stout. About a month ago Mel Kiper listed Qualls as the #12 prospect in the draft. Gaines and Vita might be even better than Qualls, and they are NFL players. They have good size and athleticism. We were able to get pressure on every opponent without blitzing (except against USC, we started to blitz in the second half, but it was too late).

- We’re thin at LB, and Howard, your stud TE can exploit it. We lost our best pass rusher (Mathis). He was a mid-season all American before he got hurt (http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...dmans-2016-midseason-all-american-team-102016). Our All-Pac-12 LB (Victor Azeem) is out as well.

- On the offensive side of the ball, our best player is obviously John Ross, who IMHO should be the 1st WR taken in the draft. He’s better than Desean Jackson when he was at Cal. He put up 150 yards against Adoree Jackson at USC (one of the top corners in football), and he also broke Jackson’s ankles on a long TD (http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo.../john-ross-usc-touchdown-adoree-jackson-video). He’s the fastest guy on the team (reportedly ran a 4.2). To get a sense of how good he is, look at his amazing one handed catch in the Pac-12 title game, or his Randy Moss like moves against Cal earlier in the year. He runs great routes, and not many corners can keep up with him. His hand are off and on. Pettis is a Jermaine Kearse (former Husky with the Seahawks). Great hands and route runniner.

- At RB we have two NFL caliber players. Coleman, the back-up, as highly rated out of Cali but battled injuries. He’s probably gonna go pro this year (despite not starting), as he has that type of ability (Dwayne Washington, our back-up last year, made the Detroit Lions roster and contributes). Coleman ran for 100 yards against Colorado (as did our starter). Gaskin, our #1 RB is a two time 1000 yard rusher (he’s a soph). We have an excellent RB corp.

- Browning is a stud, but he does have shortcomings. He was a 5 star out of Cali and threw for like 90+ TDs as a senior. He’s thrown 40 TDs this year. HE was “off” in the Pac-12 title game, and easily the worst game he's ever had. He doesn’t have a strong arm (like Kellen Moore, a former CP QB at Boise), and he has suffered from a tired arm before. Despite his bad game against Colorado, we destroyed them, but he’ll need to be on top of his game if we are going to be competitive. He’s the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the year. Browning probably isn't a NFL starting QB (not enough arm strenght or size), but he's perfect for our system.

- Our O-line is above average, let by Trey Adams, who will play on Sundays. Big advantage for Bama here.

So that’s our team in a nutshell. Sporting news said Bama, Ohio State, and Washington have the most NFL players starting. We have at least 10 NFL players starting, with Jones and Ross as almost certain first rounders. To put it in perspective, other than Butt at TE, Michigan’s starting WR and RBs wouldn’t even start for Washington. Michigan fans like to think they are our equal, but they were trailing to Colorado in the 3rd quarter at home, whereas we destroyed Colorado on a neutral field.

I’m hoping for a good game, but you likely have way too many horses. On the positive side, our strength (passing) matches up well with your defensive backfield. The problem of course is you will probably be able to get after Browning, and though he is decent on the run, he’s isn’t Johnny Manziel. We’re gonna try to keep Hurts in the pocket (easier said than done) and see if he can beat our secondary. We’ll probably use some play action and screens, and throw the occasional bomb to Ross with a trick play here and there (CP is our coach and he loves that stuff).
See everyone in Atlanta and hope this was helpful.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
great post. For the last few weeks I've felt like somehow we'd end up against you in one of the playoff games so I've been paying attention

Budda Baker and Jones have really stood out to me on D. Browning has on O

For what it is worth I think our D line eats your O line alive but Peterson is a heck of a coach so I know he'll have a great plan to get around it. Should be a fun game

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Welcome to Tide Fans. Thanks for the information on the Huskies. Most of the posters on here are reasonable Alabama fans who love college football, there are some however, who can be over the top on occasion. We look forward to your participation and look forward to a hard fought game on New Years Eve.

Last edited:

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
great post. For the last few weeks I've felt like somehow we'd end up against you in one of the playoff games so I've been paying attention

Budda Baker and Jones have really stood out to me on D. Browning has on O

For what it is worth I think our D line eats your O line alive but Peterson is a heck of a coach so I know he'll have a great plan to get around it. Should be a fun game
That's our biggest concern. Our o-line has surprised us in that they were below average last year and we weren't sure how good they would be this year. USC and Washington have the best D-lines in our conference, and frankly, USC manhandled us on the d-line. You have a big advantage when we compare your d-line to our o-line. It is our biggest concern (and Hurts running on us, as Darnold at USC, who is very similar to Hurts, ran and passed all over us).

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
Thanks for the info. I m rather ignorant when it comes to PAC 12 teams as I usually only watch SEC games. I expect Washington to put up a good fight, though obviously I think, like most Bama fans, that our team is superior. I was glad y'all got in ahead of a 2nd Big 10 team as I think UW is better than any of the Big 10, with the possible exception of osu.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Welcome to the best college football forum on the interwebs and thank you for the breakdown of your team. I was born and raised in Alabama, and obviously still live here, but I am a huge Seattle Seahawks fan (I have NFL Sunday Ticket just so I can watch the games) so I hope to get up that way one day. Of course, I am a bigger Alabama fan so no offense, but I hope we beat you all by 50. :)

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Welcome. Thanks for the information. How is your defensive team speed with your front 7? (I know how good the back 4 are) And how well do ya'll defend against jet sweeps and stretch plays? ... We got an OC who loves that stuff more than a fat kid loves chocolate.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is a great site and I look forward to your contributions over the next 4 weeks. How would you assess specific match-ups? You have expressed concern about you o-line matching up with Alabama's d-line (as is every team that they face). You hint that you see an edge in your WR match-ups with Alabama's DBs. Anything else you can point to as strong or weak match-ups going into the preparation?

Also, what is your sense of the team right now? Happy to be in the playoff, or do they feel like their job is not complete without winning?

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
Welcome. Thanks for the information. How is your defensive team speed with your front 7? (I know how good the back 4 are) And how well do ya'll defend against jet sweeps and stretch plays? ... We got an OC who loves that stuff more than a fat kid loves chocolate.
The front 7 is solid, with Qualls (listed as #12 prospect by Kiper recently) Vita and Gaines. However, we're not as good as we were earlier in the year due to injuries. Our best pass rusher is out (Mathis). He had 5.5 sacks and about 8 tackles for losses before he got injured. He was a mid-season all-american according to a few outlets (e.g., Fox Sports), but he's out and we've had a few injuries at his position. OUr top LB, Victor Azeem, is all Pac-12 and a pro player, and he's out as well.

We'll have to blitz. USC dominated us in the trenches, because we only rushed four for most of the game because our front four manhandled everyone else in the Pac-12 (except USC).

I think we'll be ok against jet sweeps because our corners are physical, and Baker plays like Earl Thomas. We'll blitz Baker and he can close on the edge as fast as anyone.

But I'm pretty sure your d-line can exploit our o-line. Trey Adams is our best o-line guy and a NFL player but he's just one guy...

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
This is a great site and I look forward to your contributions over the next 4 weeks. How would you assess specific match-ups? You have expressed concern about you o-line matching up with Alabama's d-line (as is every team that they face). You hint that you see an edge in your WR match-ups with Alabama's DBs. Anything else you can point to as strong or weak match-ups going into the preparation?

Also, what is your sense of the team right now? Happy to be in the playoff, or do they feel like their job is not complete without winning?
Our best match-up is our WR corp against your defensive backfield. I don't want to say you guys have a "weakness" because you don't IMHO. But it seems like your defensive backfield is the "least stellar" lol. Curious how Ole Miss and Kelly was able to score so much on you guys. You guys will need to roll safeties to Ross or he'll have a big day if Browning gets time (a big question mark).

Our second best match-up is our defensive backfield versus Hurts as a passer. I mean this as no disrespect, but I think Darnold is better than Hurts (Darnold is a freak like Hurts, but Darnold is a better passer). We've shut down most running QBs (e.g., Colorado), but Darnold and Hurts are very similar, and Darnold exploited us by running. IF we can contain Hurts running, our like our chances with our defensive backfield with Hurts passing.

As for the team, we aren't "just happy to be here." Petersen wouldn't allow that mentality to creep in. I wish we weren't banged up on the front 7, and Browning has a tired arm as he's been iffy the latter part of the season.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Welcome, I love Bama football and enjoy reading everyone's view. You won't see me post many opinions about players. I have ideas they are just too crazy to verbalize. LOL

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Welcome huskylawyer!

I am very excited about this match up. When it became apparent that Washington was good enough to make a run, this is the game I wanted to see. We've got a history with you all, going back to the 1926 Rose Bowl which we won to put Southern Football on the map. Ironically, Alabama was probably a bigger underdog to Washington that day than the Huskies will be this year.

Despite whatever the betting line will be, I expect this to be a very tough game.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Welcome to the board. Try to use a "bigger" font next time -- I could barely read that one. ;)

Always liked Don James....Congrats on a great season.

Hope your season ends in Atlanta.

RTR!

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
That's our biggest concern. Our o-line has surprised us in that they were below average last year and we weren't sure how good they would be this year. USC and Washington have the best D-lines in our conference, and frankly, USC manhandled us on the d-line. You have a big advantage when we compare your d-line to our o-line. It is our biggest concern (and Hurts running on us, as Darnold at USC, who is very similar to Hurts, ran and passed all over us).
Welcome huskylawyer!

Yes, I'm thinking this game may be more about what goes on in the trenches. We both have pros and cons for each team on the O and D lines so it should be an interesting game. I was hoping we would have gotten OSU in the first round for a shot at payback but I'm looking forward to this game as each day passes. Should be a fun one. Welcome again.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Curious how Ole Miss and Kelly was able to score so much on you guys.
That's the game that gives me the most worry about facing Washington. I hope we do better against you guys.
I'd like to see Kiffin try to control the clock while scoring TD's if/when we get to the red zone. Our red zone TD rate has been lacking for whatever reason. Most blame it on Kiffin and that's probably where it should be. I hope Kiffin doesn't try to show the world how he can outsmart the defense rather than letting our running game get lathered up. It would be a shame to average 9 yards per carry and only run it 5 or 6 times in the 1st half. A good way to allow the other team to get a rhythm going. Even our defense can grow weary if the offense is going 3 and out with QB turnovers and finesse plays.

And thanks for the input. I know very little about Washington's team. Other than mad respect for coach Petersen.

:BigA:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Try to use a "bigger" font next time
I personally didn't mind....this time :)

Of course I wear reading glasses too. It is a heck of a lot better than SCREAMERS...and I did appreciate the thoughtful rundown of your team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.