What happened at Ole Miss?

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I would just like to point out that on the day we played Ole Miss, Jalen Hurts had been 18 for a month and a half. :cool2: Still amazes me that he was eating lunchroom food this time last year.

Roll Tide!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
/hijack on

Kelly is a stud no doubt.

But wow, will he get his head on straight? I'm thousands of miles away from Buffalo and even us Husky fans here in Seattle heard about his partying in High School lol. Good player, but he's more Manziel than Favre off the field IMHO. It's too bad as he could play in the NFL if he wasn't such a douche off the field.

/hijack off
as a Falcons fan I can tell you that Favre in Atlanta was Manziel it's why we traded him

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That game's score is a bit deceptive. They had some great chart plays to get two early touchdowns, got a field goal off another drive, then had strip sack fumble for a TD to get it to 24-3. From that point until about 5 minutes left in the game, Alabama had complete control of the game culminating with an 18 point lead. We had a lot of guys out for IVs and tweaks in the secondary, they score a bit quicker than we'd prefer off some bombs. Fine, get the onside kick...well, didn't get it...took a bit of a funny hop and our hands guy misjudged it. They score again attacking some subs in the secondary. We get the next onside kick easily and the game is over.

We obviously lost control of that game and nearly gave them a chance to steal the win back but I don't think you can look at it as "wow, they gave up 43 points!" 7 points was off a sack fumble score on defense and they basically scored the rest either off their opening script or when the defense was limping to the finish in heat conditions that won't exist in a dome.

I think the Florida and Ole Miss secondary performances do speak to the perilous line we're walking in the secondary though. If we have a DB go down in the Peach Bowl or the lead up to the game then it is going to be a tough ask for us to stop your receivers. I'll take our 6 contributors in regular, nickel, and dime against anyone in the nation...but if one of them goes down then we're quite literally putting a non-scholarship guy out there and likely moving starters around to positions they haven't been playing at in weeks, months, or years.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That game's score is a bit deceptive. They had some great chart plays to get two early touchdowns, got a field goal off another drive, then had strip sack fumble, which should have been a PF, for a TD to get it to 24-3. From that point until about 5 minutes left in the game, Alabama had complete control of the game culminating with an 18 point lead. We had a lot of guys out for IVs and tweaks in the secondary, they score a bit quicker than we'd prefer off some bombs. Fine, get the onside kick...well, didn't get it...took a bit of a funny hop and our hands guy misjudged it. They score again attacking some subs in the secondary. We get the next onside kick easily and the game is over.

We obviously lost control of that game and nearly gave them a chance to steal the win back but I don't think you can look at it as "wow, they gave up 43 points!" 7 points was off a sack fumble score on defense and they basically scored the rest either off their opening script or when the defense was limping to the finish in heat conditions that won't exist in a dome.

I think the Florida and Ole Miss secondary performances do speak to the perilous line we're walking in the secondary though. If we have a DB go down in the Peach Bowl or the lead up to the game then it is going to be a tough ask for us to stop your receivers. I'll take our 6 contributors in regular, nickel, and dime against anyone in the nation...but if one of them goes down then we're quite literally putting a non-scholarship guy out there and likely moving starters around to positions they haven't been playing at in weeks, months, or years.
FIFY. I'm still not happy with that no-call...

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
What happened at Ole Miss? I don't know what all has been written here already and whether I can add anything of substance but you know I am going to try...or I wouldn't be posting! ;)

Ole Miss has been Bama's kryptonite for the past few years early in the season for some reason. Fluke plays, missed calls, turnovers....it seems we have had our worst game of the season against them the past three years for whatever reason. Could it be scheduling, them getting us at the right time and us them at the wrong time? Coach Freeze having coach Saban's number or something? It has been weird for sure!!

The thing about this years Bama team if I was UW and the other two teams in the playoff I would be worried about is that Bama has not even come close to a complete game yet, not even close, and yet are still the only undefeated team.

Pretty much the only area that any team has been able to have any success against our defense is against the secondary. We have been burned there at least a couple times in every game this year so I expect Washington to be able have some success in the passing game against us, everyone else has so....but you better hit us for a score when you do. Between the 20's we can be moved upon through the air but once you get in the red zone, if you get there, it is much tougher sledding. You might as well forget about running against our defense right now! Well with one exception.....If you can run with your QB. ;)

Jalen is prone to a turnover or two so you may possibly have an opportunity to score points that route but he more than makes up for what he gives up with his athleticism and ability he is continually improving on. I don't expect him to digress during the next few weeks either!! Would Kiffin not coaching the playoffs be a problem for him?? I very much doubt it....nothing seems to faze this kid. ;)

The offensive line was a little suspect early in the year but has progressed nicely and made the two best d-lines Bama played all year look pretty average at the end of the regular season. The perimeter players we have surrounding Jalen and the O-Line are second to none in my opinion including depth! Our special teams has had its moments at times but there is not many teams substantially better.

But back to what happened at Ole Miss.....that is a bit of a head scratcher the past three years for me and I think for the team too. It is a mixture of a lot of things and a lot of that was self inflicted. Ole Miss has been the perfect storm for Bama of late but three straight SEC championships and three straight CFP appearances belie the impression that Bama's games with Ole Miss the past three seasons give you.

I am not taking Washington as a gimme and I hope our players don't either because no doubt in my mind Washington is capable of pulling off an Ole Miss if Bama has some of the same problems we have had against Ole Miss happen the past three years.

Of the past three Bama defenses this defense in my opinion is the best of the three though and offensively is right up there with the past three Bama offenses but with more explosiveness at QB. A complete game by Bama will not be beaten in the playoff, but will we finally get that complete game? Looking forward to finding out!! ;)

rtrbama1

1st Team
May 31, 2015
Chad Kelly is a damn good elite QB who makes a lot of NFL throws. I think he will have a long and successful NFL career.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Its the SEC. Ole Miss is very talented and has a talented QB. Throw records out sometimes in the SEC because games like that can happen.

Plus we are everyone's Super Bowl and get everyone's best shot. Simple as that really.

Last edited:

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
It's already been covered but...

A) As bad as Ole Miss finished, riddled withe injuries, they were a much more talented team than their record indicated and suffered greatly due to injuries. You can't compare them post-Kelly injury with pre-Kelly injury. Kelly is the best QB in the SEC.

B) It was Jalen Hurts first road start as a true freshman. He got off to a slow start.

C) The defense had some uncharacteristic mistakes and blown coverages early in the game and Kelly pounced on them. They recovered well and once Bama took the lead it was over -- Ole Miss had some garbage time stats to make it close, but it was really a game of two momentum swings (Ole Miss jumps out early, Bama weathers the storm, takes over and dominates.)

D) Ole Miss seemingly has Bama's number. I believe Hugh Freeze is one of only two HCs to beat Saban in back to back games -- for whatever reason they matchup well with Bama and play them tough. Kind of like D'Antonio with Urban Meyer -- for some reason he just gets his teams to play well against tOSU.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
Its the SEC. Ole Miss is very talented and has a talented QB. Throw records out sometimes in the SEC because games like that can happen.

Plus we are everyone's Super Bowl and get everyone's best shot. Simple as that really.
If he can keep his nose clean. I think he will be the next Manziel.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Being in Seattle I'm a Hawks fan, and we regularly play Cam and Carolina due to NFL scheduling and playoffs of late and we like to pound him (like the Hawks did last night). He's a good player, but we're glad we have Wilson. Wilson is a much better dude and leader.
My opinion is that Wilson has more class than Cam. Maybe not more talent, but carries himself much better than Cam. Have you ever seen Wilson pouting on the sideline with a towel over his head? I haven't seen that from Wilson, but I have from Cam.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Cam Newton is one of those fake good guys but his problem is that he lets his real side slip a bit more often than other fake good guy sports stars. Wilson is just a guy...he doesn't try to be a braaaaaaaaand like Cam. I'd take Wilson any day of the week tbqh.

Victoria husky

Suspended
Dec 5, 2016
Actually just watched the game again and in my opinion Kelly had tons of room and space over the middle. Not great throws so much as a defence confused with a team that chucks the ball. Additionally without special team run back, and Kelly fumble on own goal line, Ole Miss wins going away IMHO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Actually just watched the game again and in my opinion Kelly had tons of room and space over the middle. Not great throws so much as a defence confused with a team that chucks the ball. Additionally without special team run back, and Kelly fumble on own goal line, Ole Miss wins going away IMHO.
Well if we are playing ifs let's play it to the fullest. What if the targeting foul is called on ole miss's fumble td? That 7 points off the board to our 14. Now what if Alabama recovers the onside kick? That's 14 to our 14 you have. That's not even taking into account that Rueben, Minka, and Eddie were all out for the most of the 4th quarter. Point is the better team won anyway you look at it.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Kinda like USC did with you guys?

I don't talk trash, especially in someone else's house, because that's severely disrespectful.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Grasp at any straw you can.....Your QB will complete some passes and pass for some yards. He will also be hit, hurried and sacked the entire time he is in the game. For UW to win, they will have to capitalize/score off of Bama turnovers and the UW QB will have to play the best game of his career/life. Will he have time to do it? I doubt it, but anything is possible on any given day.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Pretty much bang on, can't believe no-one but you had picked up on it before now. I really can't believe the number of pundits who believe we might be the best ever.

You must really be looking forward to the game, or is your main concern avoiding injuries prior to the final?

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.