What happened at Ole Miss?

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
Hey Tide fans. Can you tell a Husky fan and west coaster what happened with your game at Ole Miss? Just early season struggles? Injuries? Kelly is a good QB and if he can clean it up off the field (doubtful IMHO, he seems like a knucklehead), he shold play on Sundays. He threw for 400+ on Bama and 3 TDs. Ole Miss has a former UW WR (Stringfellow), and I'm not even sure if he would start for us today (he had 80 yards and a TD against Bama).

So what happened? Just a bad day? Just wondering if my dawgs can learn anything from that shootout.

Thanks in advance.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just told one of your Husky pals in another thread - they scored a TD off a not-called targeting call and then they had three touchdowns in the fourth quarter when trying to play catchup. Plus, a couple of guys in the secondary got nicked up. We were playing with a few backups for the fourth quarter.

PetermanUW

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
I was paying attention to earlier in the game and how Ole Miss was able to sustain some longer drives....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the first half of that game was the result of several blown coverages. Saban talked about that after the game. They fixed most of those issues. We have seen very few blown coverages since that game. That isn't to say that Alabama hasn't been beat on some great plays down field through the rest of the season, but there have been very few receivers running open across the field. They have been contested passes in tight coverage.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
It comes down to a few variables. The final record indicated that Ole Miss was not a very good team, but final records can be deceiving. Ole Miss has as much talent as anyone in the SEC, especially on the offensive side. You may remember that they also opened up a 21 point lead in the 1st half against a top 15 FSU.

Here's the thing though with Ole Miss, they start quickly, but they fold once they face adversity. In our game, they played with a lot of emotion feeding off a very hostile home crowd. You could even say they caught us a bit flat footed for the first couple of drives. There were a couple of longer drives, but they also had a few fluke plays. All of this coupled with a bad offensive game plan on our part in the 1st half gave them complete momentum. However, We kept our composure and kept chipping away at them. The defense stepped up and took control and the offense followed suit. We punched them in the mouth and they folded, just as they did against FSU.

From there, the wheels fell off for the program. They became deflated, and the coaching staff seemed disengaged. Kelly got hurt, and they fell to a sub .500 team. The Ole Miss team that we beat 48-43 is nowhere near the same team that Vanderbilt beat by 3 tds.

To me they are the polar opposite of USC. The USC team of today is a far better USC team than the team we destroyed week 1. They gelled as a team and the coaching staff eliminated some bad influences in the locker room. I can almost guarantee that if we played USC again today, it wouldn't be a 52-6 game. (Although I do still believe we would win)

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
It comes down to a few variables. The final record indicated that Ole Miss was not a very good team, but final records can be deceiving. Ole Miss has as much talent as anyone in the SEC, especially on the offensive side. You may remember that they also opened up a 21 point lead in the 1st half against a top 15 FSU. The problem with Ole Miss is they could start quickly, but they fold once they face adversity. In our game, they played with a lot of emotion feeding off a very hostile home crowd. You could even say they caught us a bit flat footed for the first couple of drives. There were a couple of longer drives, but they also had a few fluke plays. All of this coupled with a bad offensive game plan on our part in the 1st half gave them complete momentum. However, We kept our composure and kept chipping away at them. The defense stepped up and took control and the offense followed suit. We punched them in the mouth and they folded, just as they did against FSU.

From there, the wheels fell off for the program. They became deflated, the coaching staff seemed disengaged, Kelly got hurt, and they fell to a sub .500 team. The Ole Miss team that we beat 48-43 is nowhere near the same team that Vanderbilt beat by 3 tds.

To me they are the polar opposite of USC. The USC team of today is a far better USC team than the team we destroyed week 1. They gelled as a team and the coaching staff eliminated some bad influences in the locker room. I can almost guarantee that if we played USC again today, it wouldn't be a 52-6 game. (Although I do still believe we would win)

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Thanks for the thorough response.

Agree on USC. Browne had no business starting over Darnold, and we even heard during spring that Darnold was the better QB, but Brown (who play H.S. ball outside of SEattle) got the nod because he paid his dues. Darnold is a monster. He's like Cam Newton, sans the rediculous clothing, propensity for stealing laptops, and wire transfers to daddy.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Thanks for the thorough response.

Agree on USC. Browne had no business starting over Darnold, and we even heard during spring that Darnold was the better QB, but Brown (who play H.S. ball outside of SEattle) got the nod because he paid his dues. Darnold is a monster. He's like Cam Newton, sans the rediculous clothing, propensity for stealing laptops, and wire transfers to daddy.
You don't like Cam Newton either, huh? Well we all have something in common.

Hey guys, be nice to this one! He also doesn't like Cam Newton, so he's practically one of us. [emoji6]

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hurts was facing one of his first real challenges of the season and had to adjust to a very motivated SEC opponent. Our secondary didn't gel properly until after Arkansas. I also think Chad Kelly is a highly talented but erratic player and for whatever reason the challenge of playing us has consistently brought out the best in him. It was a game where the final score made it seem a little closer than it felt watching.

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
You don't like Cam Newton either, huh? Well we all have something in common.

Hey guys, be nice to this one! He also doesn't like Cam Newton, so he's practically one of us. [emoji6]

Being in Seattle I'm a Hawks fan, and we regularly play Cam and Carolina due to NFL scheduling and playoffs of late and we like to pound him (like the Hawks did last night). He's a good player, but we're glad we have Wilson. Wilson is a much better dude and leader.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Being in Seattle I'm a Hawks fan, and we regularly play Cam and Carolina due to NFL scheduling and playoffs of late and we like to pound him (like the Hawks did last night). He's a good player, but we're glad we have Wilson. Wilson is a much better dude and leader.
I can respect that. I'd love to go to a Hawks game someday. It's right on up in there in my bucket list with Lambeau. It seems like the closest thing to a college atmosphere that the NFL has.

I will say that I haven't cared for Pete Carroll since his days as a Trojan. I've always felt like he knew there was a crap storm coming for him at SC, and jumped at the first out he got. With that said, the man is one heckuva coach and that out worked fantastically for him.

Russell Wilson in my mind is one of the finest human being in the NFL. He just seems like a legit good guy. Very few players in the NFL that I would coin as genuine, but he is one.

Tough break last night with Thomas going out. That injury is brutal, and I sincerely hope he doesn't retire and comes back stronger than ever.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think that the first half of that game was the result of several blown coverages. Saban talked about that after the game. They fixed most of those issues. We have seen very few blown coverages since that game. That isn't to say that Alabama hasn't been beat on some great plays down field through the rest of the season, but there have been very few receivers running open across the field. They have been contested passes in tight coverage.
Pretty accurate. The OM and ARK games stick out as anomalies. The things in common are both Kelley and Allen are extraordinary passers and both happened very early in the year. Key in-game injuries played a role in each game also. Actually, I'm more concerned about the UTC game. I didn't think this bunch could come out flat, but they did, and it was later in the season. Could they come out flat against UW? I don't really think so for a semi, but I'd admit that it worries me a bit. They are just kids...

TD10

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 28, 2009
First of all Kelly is really good. He made some amazing throws in that game against us. Ole Miss always plays us early in the year when they are at their best. Kelly and his fine corps of receivers are probably only equaled by Clemson with Watson, Mike Williams and company - when they are on. Ole Miss has depth issues this year. In our game they jumped out on top 24-3, but we outscored them 45-6 to go up 48-30. We simply wore them down. They added a couple of late TDs and it made for a little anxiety. One of their scores was on defense so their offense scored 36 of which as I said two TDs came late after we had almost put the game away.

I might add the 45-6 run to win the game came in just two quarters of play - from late 2nd qtr to late 4th qtr. After the wake up call we dominated them much as we did the others.

Last edited:

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
First of all Kelly is really good. He made some amazing throws in that game against us. .
/hijack on

Kelly is a stud no doubt.

But wow, will he get his head on straight? I'm thousands of miles away from Buffalo and even us Husky fans here in Seattle heard about his partying in High School lol. Good player, but he's more Manziel than Favre off the field IMHO. It's too bad as he could play in the NFL if he wasn't such a douche off the field.

/hijack off

MobileBama84

Scout Team
Aug 30, 2016
Daphne, AL
The Ole Miss game is a bit deceiving to football fans other than the two fanbases that primarily watched the game beginning to end. Like B1GTide said, one passing touchdown was the result of blown coverage. Big-time blown coverage. One of them was on our safety who read the play as a run and came up for run support and left his man WIDE open and with NO one behind him. It was Ronnie Harrison, who is easily one of our biggest hitters and playmakers on defense. Its not like he and a cornerback of ours just got beat on the pass play and couldnt make the tackle. The WR was left wide open with a field full of green left for him to run on. One of our linebackers was the closest guy to try and catch him.

But make no mistake, Chad Kelley made throws that I see Drew Brees making on Sundays.
Most completed passes against our secondary wasnt due to blown coverage or bad reads, but by the great ability Chad Kelly has in his passing game. Most of the time our guys were right there but the ball placement couldnt have been defended by Richard Sherman.

Now, with all that being said, early in the 1st quarter, emotions were high and nerves were rattling. Gong back up against the only team to beat us the past two years in a row. Things started off shakey with some bad secondary coverage but really had more to do with ball placement by Chad Kelly. His passing is no joke. They were all on the money thst day.
The drive i am referencing ended up with a very uncharacteristic rushing TD of about 20 yards that we all havent seen happen since.

The next TD was the busted coverage that i explained earlier.

The 3rd TD was the "should have been targeting" when their end came around and popped Jalen Hurts helmet to helmet and he lost the ball. Scoop and score they were up by 3 TD's and a field goal. I bleed Crimson but anybody other than an Ole Miss fan would call that targeting. That TD should have never occured.

Thats when Bama woke up and, well the rest of the game was history. We passed, we ran, we intercepted, we returned a punt for a TD. We literally grew up even more in the middle of that game than we did between the first two against USC and WKU. ......

Two other passing TD's happened in the 4th quarter when we had a 48-30 lead with barely 3:00 minutes remaining in the game. Now, one huge point I will make is that our secondary was down without our starting safety Eddie Jackson and our starting cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick and we had young freshmen faces in the secondary (Shyheim Carter, Deonte Thompson) at corner and safety respectively and Hootie Jones who up to that point had seen little playing time playing the other safety position. Im not being nitpicky but the second to last TD pass had a good bit of OPI going on. But, thats neither here nor there. Cant change it.

The last TD pass came right after Ole Miss got an onside kick with our exhausted D right back on the field and then Kelly chunked the ball up and their WR AJ Brown won the jump ball contest against Marlon Humphrey.

So that leaves me with one other large point to make. This game was only our 3rd game of the season and our first true road game going up against a team of great SEC caliber athletes made up primarily of 5* and 4* players and a future NFL QB. Our team was still figuring out its own identity for the 2016 year. We didnt even truly name a startng QB yet for the team. There were tons of emotions and questions going into that game. Bama just ended up answering them before the clock turned 0:00 and hasnt let off the gas since then.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
But wow, will he get his head on straight? I'm thousands of miles away from Buffalo and even us Husky fans here in Seattle heard about his partying in High School lol. Good player, but he's more Manziel than Favre off the field IMHO. It's too bad as he could play in the NFL if he wasn't such a douche off the field.
He'll play on Sunday, no doubt - he can make the throws Manziel could only dream of.

The NFL will tolerate a lot of crap when you can throw the ball like CK does...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The Ole Miss game is a bit deceiving to football fans other than the two fanbases that primarily watched the game beginning to end. Like B1GTide said, one passing touchdown was the result of blown coverage. Big-time blown coverage. One of them was on our safety who read the play as a run and came up for run support and left his man WIDE open and with NO one behind him. It was Ronnie Harrison, who is easily one of our biggest hitters and playmakers on defense. Its not like he and a cornerback of ours just got beat on the pass play and couldnt make the tackle. The WR was left wide open with a field full of green left for him to run on. One of our linebackers was the closest guy to try and catch him.

But make no mistake, Chad Kelley made throws that I see Drew Brees making on Sundays.
Most completed passes against our secondary wasnt due to blown coverage or bad reads, but by the great ability Chad Kelly has in his passing game. Most of the time our guys were right there but the ball placement couldnt have been defended by Richard Sherman.

Now, with all that being said, early in the 1st quarter, emotions were high and nerves were rattling. Gong back up against the only team to beat us the past two years in a row. Things started off shakey with some bad secondary coverage but really had more to do with ball placement by Chad Kelly. His passing is no joke. They were all on the money thst day.
The drive i am referencing ended up with a very uncharacteristic rushing TD of about 20 yards that we all havent seen happen since.

The 3rd TD was the "should have been targeting" when their end came around and popped Jalen Hurts helmet to helmet and he lost the ball. Scoop and score they were up by 3 TD's and a field goal. I bleed Crimson but anybody other than an Ole Miss fan would call that targeting. That TD should have never occured.

Thats when Bama woke up and, well the rest of the game was history. We passed, we ran, we intercepted, we returned a punt for a TD. We literally grew up even more in the middle of that game than we did between the first two against USC and WKU. ......

Two other passing TD's happened in the 4th quarter when we had a 48-30 lead with barely 3:00 minutes remaining in the game. Now, one huge point I will make is that our secondary was down without our starting safety Eddie Jackson and our starting cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick and we had young freshmen faces in the secondary (Shyheim Carter, Deonte Thompson) at corner and safety respectively and Hootie Jones who up to that point had seen little playing time playing the other safety position. Im not being nitpicky but the second to last TD pass had a good bit of OPI going on. But, thats neither here nor there. Cant change it.

The last TD pass came right after Ole Miss got an onside kick with our exhausted D right back on the field and then Kelly chunked the ball up and their WR AJ Brown won the jump ball contest against Marlon Humphrey.

So that leaves me with one other large point to make. This game was only our 3rd game of the season and our first true road game going up against a team of great SEC caliber athletes made up primarily of 5* and 4* players and a future NFL QB. Our team was still figuring out its own identity for the 2016 year. We didnt even truly name a startng QB yet for the team. There were tons of emotions and questions going into that game. Bama just ended up answering them before the clock turned 0:00 and hasnt let off the gas since then.
Don't forget that Foster was dinged up/cramping in the second half and we were playing SDH and Evans/Holcombe at ILB.

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle

Great, informative post. Thanks.

You guys can't sleep on Ross. He's arguably the greatest Washington WR ever (debate on our forums as to whether he's better than Reggie Williams or Mario Bailey). This is what he did to Adoree Jackson:

https://twitter.com/GRIND__2_SHINE/status/798027489440190468

And sound tackling is a must against him. His Randy Moss TD against Cal:

https://twitter.com/NFL_drafthub/status/798248671007674368

And sometimes he just goes OBJ on folks. Against Colorado:

https://twitter.com/CFBONFOX/status/804910433895215104

He's a "SEC Speed" player.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Welcome to the best board on the net. Nobody will pile on here, and you're not expected to just kowtow the Alabama line - just issue your objections respectfully, and I see you're feeling out the board. That's good. We have an Aubie here (AUDub) that fits in just fine, but he's still a die hard Aubie.

Hey Tide fans. Can you tell a Husky fan and west coaster what happened with your game at Ole Miss? Just early season struggles? Injuries? Kelly is a good QB and if he can clean it up off the field (doubtful IMHO, he seems like a knucklehead), he shold play on Sundays. He threw for 400+ on Bama and 3 TDs. Ole Miss has a former UW WR (Stringfellow), and I'm not even sure if he would start for us today (he had 80 yards and a TD against Bama).

So what happened? Just a bad day? Just wondering if my dawgs can learn anything from that shootout.

Thanks in advance.
Numerous posters have touched on it but a few factors:

1) It was Jalen Hurts' first road start.

Since you haven't been to Ole Miss, it's difficult to describe. Even though it doesn't look like it on TV, it can get very loud there. They're fervent fans (well, as long as they're winning games not so much now). Autzen seats a little more than half of what Bryant-Denny Stadium (BDS) does, but Oregon is MUCH louder most of the time because the fans are right there on top of the action (there's a wide range between the crowd and the field in Alabama). First road start (Dallas is our second home) for a freshman, still getting the feel of it, we don't have quite the running game of a few years ago, and they scored on the first possession by marching right down the field.

(You'll find that many times the BEST time to get us is EARLY. Our 2011 defense, which was the best I ever saw, had a habit of giving up an early TD or score on a bomb...and then not letting you cross into the red zone the rest of the game).

2) Here are their first half possessions:

a) 7 plays, 75 yards, TD
b) 3 and out after we kept them on the field for 17 plays and 7 min
c) 3 and out
d) 3 and out
e) 5 plays, 50 yards, FG
f) 2 plays, 80 yard TD (busted coverage)
g) hit Jalen with a targeting that wasn't called and returned the fumble for a TD
h) three and out (we returned the punt for a TD to make it 17-24)
i) four plays, 18 yards - halftime

They had two good drives and a busted coverage TD.

3) Fatigue/Injuries

Everyone focuses on the fourth quarter - but you have to remember that our defense was on the field for almost 12 of the first 13 minutes of the quarter. We hit a quick TD then Kelley drove them down and Allen got a fumble and ran it back 75 yards for a TD....and then the defense went right back out on the field...and Kelley drove them 78 yards and hit a TD and then they recovered and onside kick......and a tired defense went right back out on the field yet again.

Keep in mind also that our #2 receiver Ardarius Stewart went out early with a sprained knee (some might argue he's #1, but it cut down on our options), Reuben Foster missed a chunk of the game with cramps (hot that time of year) and BOTH of our TWO BEST secondary guys - Eddie Jackson and Minkah Fitzpatrick - missed the fourth quarter, right as Kelley was lighting up the reserves. Jackson, of course, is gone for the year, but Minkah is still a force.

4) Kelley is a good QB

Remember, like the Manning boys, this guy had a relative in the NFL who was quite a superstar in his day who helped influence him.

5) Ole Miss really gets "up" for Alabama

This is hard to explain since you're not from the south but...there was a time long ago when Ole Miss was national power in football and won national title(s). They were a BIG deal. But then Coach Bryant returned to Alabama in 1958...and once he got his team in position, Ole Miss was no longer la big deal. They haven't been a big deal in fifty years. And to be blunt, it drives them insane. We are the most hated team in the SEC - because (like USC a few years back) we've literally taken the manhood of pretty much program in the conference. Les Miles is a VERY good coach who LSU fired because he can't beat us. They did the same thing with Charley McClendon back in 1979. Auburn fired Doug Barfield way back primarily because he couldn't beat Alabama. Tennessee sent Bill Battle, Johnny Majors, Phil Fulmer, and Derek Dooley packing MOSTLY because they couldn't beat Alabama.

Ole Miss measures themselves by Alabama. The two states are 'twin states' (look on the map - most folks just don't pay attention to the similar design). And for years both states were put down together sociologically because of a lot of things you unquestionably know about (read between the lines because I don't want this to be Non-Sports - oh, if you didn't know NO politics or religion on the football board....well, except for our Saturday religion, Crimson Tide football of course). Both states were put down, and some of it was admittedly deserved in some areas.

The difference is that we climbed out of the cesspool and gave our people something to cherish and brag about. Ole Miss looks at us as usurpers to the throne they think they had. (In reality, they were never as good as they think they were). So Ole Miss will get up for us every single year - probably just like Oregon does for you guys even when the Ducks were bad.

All of those factors played a part. I wouldn't draw too much comfort in that game because your QB cannot hit the passes that Kelley did. Also...our pass rush has improved game by game, so Kelley himself (and the Ole Miss O-line was pretty decent, too) would have more problems nowadays.

I hope this helps. I've long respected Washington even before Coach Saban came here. I have a Husky buddy who I've taken to two Alabama games, and he was in awe of game day at T-Town.

RTR

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
He'll play on Sunday, no doubt - he can make the throws Manziel could only dream of.

The NFL will tolerate a lot of crap when you can throw the ball like CK does...
While I agree, he can't go brawling on h.s. sidelines while in the NFL. But if he can stay away from that, I agree most of his crap will be tolerated.

And to the original poster, like others have said here a few points were in garbage time no to mention the "missed targeting" that was explained as well.

I would suggest any UW fan to watch that game and you'll notice two things, 1 being the things that were mentioned and 2 that you won't quite recognize the team compared to now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.