A lot of history against us winning the title! Can you think of others?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I believe we are all thinking this team is good enough to win the national title again this year; however, we will be fighting history and trends as well as the other teams in order to do so.
1. This is the third year of the playoff, and the one seed has not won yet.
2. Only one other true freshman QB has led his team to a title.
3. No modern era team has gone 15-0.
4. Only two other teams have gone wire to wire as #1.
5. I believe only one other coach has won 6 national titles.

If you guys can think of any other trends or historical records this team can set, list them here. Maybe our guys can use that extra bit of motivation to not only win the 2016 national title but to set records that people talk about for years and years.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Since 1984, An SEC school won the NC when a democrat won the WH. The years when the GOP won the WH, a non SEC school was NC.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I believe we are all thinking this team is good enough to win the national title again this year; however, we will be fighting history and trends as well as the other teams in order to do so.

If you guys can think of any other trends or historical records this team can set, list them here. Maybe our guys can use that extra bit of motivation to not only win the 2016 national title but to set records that people talk about for years and years.
No team has as many national titles, had as many consecutive years ranked number 1, as many 10 win or undefeated seasons. I think history favors Alabama.:smile:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Too small of a sample size

Jamelle Holieway also had a very good defense carrying that team (the Boz)
Because it's rare to play 15 games....
Yeah, but that's because in both 1966 and 1979, they dropped #1 Alabama out of the spot during the year; we got it back the last time and should have the first time.

Until last year only one had won five.....

I don't know, I'm not much on CFB history......

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Rather than look for trends why we can't win, I'll give a trend why we CAN win. Since 1900 no more than 2 consecutive seasons have ever passed without a Division I school finishing undefeated. The last Division I school to do it was the 2013 Florida State team. It did not happen in 2014 or 2015. So in 2016 we still have Alabama and W. Michigan undefeated. W. Michigan most likely loses to Wisconsin since Wisconsin is a whole lot better than MAC competition. So if this 115 year trend continues most likely Alabama finishes undefeated.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Coach Saban has busted every curse we ever thought existed.
Hahaha, that's the truth. I remember in the Sheila and Dumbose years where we just hoped Lee Corso picked against us because we hoped to win one big game a year. Now it seems like every game we have played for the last ten years has been a big game.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Of course the past assures nothing, but a lot of recent history seems to be with Bama. In the 8 seasons since the first NC season in 2009 under Saban, Bama is:

81%, 42-10, against ranked teams
85%, 22-4, against top 10 teams
83%, 5-1, against the number 1 team.
91%, 10-1, in SECC games, NC & playoff games

Bama's success seems to increase with the level of competition.

Bama is currently on a 14 game win streak against ranked teams and a 7 game win streak against top 10 teams.

Last edited:

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
Ironically, UDUB's undefeated 91 National Championship Team is a good comp for you guys because our defenses are similar with the pro talent (with Mark Brunell and Billy Joe Hobert, 2 NFL qbs playing on the same squad). We basicallly destroyed everyone, had 11 players drafted, including 2 in the first round (and the #1 overrall pick). We smacked a Desmond Howard led Michigan team in the Rose Bowl. Nobody scored more than 21 ponits on us (and the two teams that did, we beat by 2 TDs...).

And yea, Miami thinks they were better as we split the title with them. But the following year we went into Miami and snapped their 56 game home winning streak. :)

If any team can break records, it is this Bama team, much like our 91 team.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Coach Saban has busted every curse we ever thought existed.
I imagine the ghost of Coach Bryant visited Mal Moore and told him to ask big and he'd grant it......

Four national titles in seven years
Beat Texas to win one
Beat Notre Dame to win one
Two Heisman winners
NFL legends (Julio, Amari working on it)
Three-peat SEC titles (Florida 93-96...before that Auburn 87-89, Georgia 80-82, Alabama 77-79, 71-75)

This is so fun right now.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Since 2010, Alabama has been the #2 seed heading into the playoffs 3 times with 3 championship rings in those years. The only year it has been the #1 seed, Ohio State won. This year, Alabama is the #1 seed. #Alabamaproblems

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL

The Tide know for doing things first...this is why I like our chances.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
College Football history my knowledge is miniscule.

I know enough to know that the time you are living in now may well go down as the greatest ever time, past or future, to have been a fan of a single college football team.

Drink it in and cherish every second, it may well never be seen again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.