News Article: Putting The Penn State Non-Selection Into Historical Perspective

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Thanks Selma, the historical bowls comparrison I should have thought about.

tOSU is clearly the better team and I'm glad they're in the playoff, but if I don't know the answers I have to ask.

I only discovered on Saturday that returning a PAT only got you 2pts I was thinking it was a TD for the Gators. ��

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nah, that's okay.

I lived in the UK in 1975-78, and the offsides soccer rule (okay "fooh-ball" over there) - which has been modified - never made sense to me.

I get it NOW as an adult better, but it just seemed to me it was too easy for a team to push forth and 'cause' an offsides.

In 1978, Nottingham Forest won a League Cup/League title "double," and they beat Liverpool in a replay in the League Cup final. In the first game, Liverpool's Terry McDermott scored what appeared to be the winning goal - but he was ruled offsides. The refs botched the call. Nottingham won the replay and there was a lot of hub-bub at the time. The press made an issue of "the cameras show that McDermott's goal should have counted." The late Brian Clough, who was the manager of Nottingham retorted in his best Jonathan Allen impersonation, "The cameras also show that we won the Cup."

I've heard they changed offsides in 1990 or so.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Offside should have been left the way it was in my humble.

Its rediculously more complicated now.

In fairness its always been done to make the game more attacking.

But the only people who wanted that were the people who had no appreciation of great defending.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

BumpndNite

Dec 6, 2016
I tend to believe that the diminished value of being a conference champion, has a more sinister side. It paves the way for justifying the inclusion of Notre Dame in future Final Fours. The Irish won't always be the dumpster fire they currently are, and they do bring a huge fan base, and TV following into a post season. Money talks, and in this case it has a distinct gaelic accent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.