Each California household owes $93K for state pensions

MDBSnare

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2007
Well, bless their little snowflake hearts! When their quixotic utopia gets bludgeoned in the face by reality, they'll all go to their safe places I assume?:cool:

tidegrandpa

All-American
Well, bless their little snowflake hearts! When their quixotic utopia gets bludgeoned in the face by reality, they'll all go to their safe places I assume?:cool:
They can't afford the present, much less repay the past.

I drove to Fresno in the summer, the gas price went up $1.15 a gallon from Az to Ca. When I asked why, everyone just shrugged, "It's California". Really ?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Wait a minute. Something's not adding up. Wasn't it Bill Maher just earlier this year who said that California is experiencing an economic boom because of all the democratic/liberal policies that have been put in place. I'm not going to link the video because Bill can't go three or four words without dropping some form of profanity so I'll leave it up to y'all to look up the video on your own. I maybe "misremembering" but he may have even threw the word "surplus" in there as well.

Last edited:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
They can't afford the present, much less repay the past.

I drove to Fresno in the summer, the gas price went up $1.15 a gallon from Az to Ca. When I asked why, everyone just shrugged, "It's California". Really ?
California has stricter gas evironment standards than other states, so when they switch over to the summer blends gas, it is more expensive for the refineries to produce them. Also, there's an oil tax still on the books that was originally passed to help pay for the Spanish-American War that is affecting gas prices in California as well. So yeah, to the locals (and ex-locals like me), "It's California" is a suitable response.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Do you the think US is going to have to move away from pension plans in the future? Either by getting rid of them altogether or drastically reducing their payout?
Here in Corpus Christi, on the Gulf coast in Texas, city employees are GUARANTEED $2.00 for every $1.00 to their retirement and a 25% return on their fund.
If the 25% is gain is not realized in the market, city taxes subsidize it.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Do you the think US is going to have to move away from pension plans in the future? Either by getting rid of them altogether or drastically reducing their payout?
There for sure has been a trend of offloading risk to the consumer, and admittedly, pensions are a little more complicated to manage and don't give the level of funding certainty that most companies would like to have. Nevertheless, if future benefits are based on reasonable/realistic actuarial assumptions and companies fund pensions accordingly, there is a place for them in the retirement system. My company has a pension plan and a 401k plan with matching. It's akin to a balanced portfolio of bonds (guaranteed income) and stocks (inflation protection) in my opinion.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Here in Corpus Christi, on the Gulf coast in Texas, city employees are GUARANTEED $2.00 for every $1.00 to their retirement and a 25% return on their fund.
If the 25% is gain is not realized in the market, city taxes subsidize it.
I think Houston is in the same boat. Stupid, liberal policies will bankrupt all of these cities.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Wait a minute. Something's not adding up. Wasn't it Bill Maher just earlier this year who said that California is experiencing an economic boom because of all the democratic/liberal policies that have been put in place. I'm not going to link the video because Bill can't go three or four words without dropping some form of profanity so I'll leave it up to y'all to look up the video on your own. I maybe "misremembering" but he may have even threw the word "surplus" in there as well.
That was the only part of that episode that I saw (and the only part of any episodes of his show that I saw) and 2 days later there was, an unrelated to his show, piece on a national news network that California's unemployment rate had risen in the recently reported quarter. I think California had one quarter where unemployment numbers went down a little and then reality checked in. And Maher talking about a surplus? Talk about fake news!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.