Pentagon buries $125B in bureaucratic waste in fear of having budget slashed

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am working on a project that has come under budget. Now instead of funneling that extra money into a project that might actually need it, they are trying to find ways to spend the money in the project that doesn't really need it.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The department my father worked in (military) every year would go through at year end with the last of their budget and buy new chairs, new computers, and all sorts of items they didn't need for a while just so that their budget wouldn't get cut.

The whole system is stupid. Rather than rewarding agencies for coming in under budget (give them a small bonus and thanks for being responsible) they get their budget slashed and the next year they might have needed that extra money. This is part of why the debt has spiraled out of control. Imagine how much would go back into the system if they didn't punish people for not using all of their allotted budget.

tidegrandpa

All-American
The department my father worked in (military) every year would go through at year end with the last of their budget and buy new chairs, new computers, and all sorts of items they didn't need for a while just so that their budget wouldn't get cut.

The whole system is stupid. Rather than rewarding agencies for coming in under budget (give them a small bonus and thanks for being responsible) they get their budget slashed and the next year they might have needed that extra money. This is part of why the debt has spiraled out of control. Imagine how much would go back into the system if they didn't punish people for not using all of their allotted budget.
It's why business people who understand business are not in gubment.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
It's why business people who understand business are not in gubment.
For sure. Unlike government, my firm rewards efficiency. In our budgeting process departments are limited to budgeting for ongoing operational costs, operational costs are strictly controlled to force efficiencies, discretionary dollars are budgeted centrally, and the allocation of discretionary funds is governed by business case justification.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I am working on a project that has come under budget. Now instead of funneling that extra money into a project that might actually need it, they are trying to find ways to spend the money in the project that doesn't really need it.
Sounds like just my friends who work for various missile defense agencies on Redstone Arsenal. The price they pay to actually do their jobs and come under budget on a project. Seems like the same thing occurs for the government contractors as well.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I see garbage like this daily. We spend hundreds of thousand of dollars a year on hardware and software that we don't use. It's very important to spend all the money and try to get more. My colleagues in Budget are regularly grilled by the PTBs. If they don't spend their money fast enough there's hell to pay.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I see garbage like this daily. We spend hundreds of thousand of dollars a year on hardware and software that we don't use. It's very important to spend all the money and try to get more. My colleagues in Budget are regularly grilled by the PTBs. If they don't spend their money fast enough there's hell to pay.
Pathetically sad.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Sounds like just my friends who work for various missile defense agencies on Redstone Arsenal. The price they pay to actually do their jobs and come under budget on a project. Seems like the same thing occurs for the government contractors as well.
I'm still waiting on Redstone to pay our company the $20K they owe us for some license renewals. It's been 13 months. I suggested we cut off the licenses to see what would happen and you would have thought I announced that I worshipped Satan.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.