Heisman Trophy Finalists

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I'm underwhelmed this year by the Heisman Trophy candidates. And frankly, looking at the players nominated, I think the committee was wrong to leave out Jonathan Allen considering that Jabrill Peppers is in the mix.

Who among Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Dede Westbrook, Peppers, and Deshaun Watson best identify with the Heisman mission statement: the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work.

I'm assuming Watson wins but you never know!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
At this point, Watson should win it. I know it's not a career award, but between last year and this year, Watson has been the most consistently good player. Jackson will probably win it due to his numbers, but I don't think he deserves it.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
At this point, Watson should win it. I know it's not a career award, but between last year and this year, Watson has been the most consistently good player. Jackson will probably win it due to his numbers, but I don't think he deserves it.
If Jackson wins it, it will be because he had a really good September and really average Octobers and Novembers.
That in itself would make the trophy a joke in my opinion. If I had a vote, from the selection offered I wouldn't hesitate two seconds. It's Watson by a mile and a half.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My thoughts exactly.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Peppers shouldn't be in the discussion. He's an average DB. Who got to catch a few passes on offense. EJ is a better player.

TampaTide813

Suspended
Dec 16, 2014
He may end up being the first "first team All-American" defensive back to only have one interception in his collegiate career.
He is technically a linebacker and he's pretty good. I believe he (and his team) would have been better served by focusing on improving as a LB. Instead, they played (and practiced) with him all over the field in a futile effort to get him the Heisman. His stats were pretty good for a LB, but would have been much better if he'd just focused on that. He was a pretty good returner, but his offensive snaps were completely unnecessary and they were just used to try and pad his Heisman resume.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think most Sooner fans would vote for Watson. We are just happy and proud that for the 3rd time in our program's history we have 2 invited to the gig. Mayfield and Westbrook are dynamic but Watson deserves it.
Really seems like having two on the ballot will almost certainly assure neither wins.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I'm underwhelmed this year by the Heisman Trophy candidates. And frankly, looking at the players nominated, I think the committee was wrong to leave out Jonathan Allen considering that Jabrill Peppers is in the mix.
There is no committee used to select the finalists. Each Heisman voter can vote for any three college players of his or her choosing. There are 929 voters The top three vote-getters are automatically invited to the Heisman ceremony. The 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. place guys are invited if their vote totals are close to the players in front of them.

Here is a good article explaining the voting process.
http://heisman.com/sports/2014/9/15/GEN_0915140346.aspx

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Peppers shouldn't be in the discussion. He's an average DB. Who got to catch a few passes on offense. EJ is a better player.
i hadn't even heard of the guy until i saw something pre-game before the iron bowl or one of the november games. the coverage reminded me of the breathless hype given to manti t'eo and i left the room to get a beer.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Prior to Eddie's injury...

Peppers really benefited from playing on offense.
Something about Michigan DBs that play a little bit on offense or return kicks.

Someone should compare Charles Woodson's numbers, from his Heisman year in 1997, to Champ Bailey's from 1998. And Bailey did not sniff the Heisman trophy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.