UNA to move to Division I in 2018

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
http://www.timesdaily.com/news/loca...cle_4c6e9a26-07b1-5e8b-bcc9-63ded7dea6ce.html

The University of North Alabama has approved a move to go to NCAA Division I.

The UNA Board of Trustees voted unanimously this afternoon to make the jump from NCAA Division II to Division I. The vote was 8-0.
After years of waiting, UNA will be joining the ranks of Division I when they join the Atlantic Sun Conference in 2018. The football team will be a member of the Big South Conference of the FCS, with all other sports in the Atlantic Sun conference.

This will give the state five FCS teams. The others are Jax State, Samford, Alabama A&M and Alabama State.

I know this doesn't directly concern Alabama football but we have a number of people here who are from the Shoals area and thought some people might be interested.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.timesdaily.com/news/loca...cle_4c6e9a26-07b1-5e8b-bcc9-63ded7dea6ce.html

After years of waiting, UNA will be joining the ranks of Division I when they join the Atlantic Sun Conference in 2018. The football team will be a member of the Big South Conference of the FCS, with all other sports in the Atlantic Sun conference.

This will give the state five FCS teams. The others are Jax State, Samford, Alabama A&M and Alabama State.

I know this doesn't directly concern Alabama football but we have a number of people here who are from the Shoals area and thought some people might be interested.
...six FCS teams if UAB would come to its senses.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I really don't like this move. I am from there. Here's the perspective: Florence has held the Div. 2 National Championship game forever and the Harlon Hill Trophy (D2 Heisman) is presented there during that time. It really meant a lot to the area to have something that high profile happen every year. Full disclosure, Harlon was my great uncle, and it really meant a lot to my family to have that much of a big deal made about his legacy and this move downplays it to some degree since I am sure the D2 championship game will move too. I know the University has to move on, but it really stinks.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The D2 game moved to Kansas City a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I really don't like this move. I am from there. Here's the perspective: Florence has held the Div. 2 National Championship game forever and the Harlon Hill Trophy (D2 Heisman) is presented there during that time. It really meant a lot to the area to have something that high profile happen every year. Full disclosure, Harlon was my great uncle, and it really meant a lot to my family to have that much of a big deal made about his legacy and this move downplays it to some degree since I am sure the D2 championship game will move too. I know the University has to move on, but it really stinks.
Aside from the fact that the D2 Championship moved a few years ago (and we very likely would never get it back) I love it. I went to UNA and it was next to impossible to get excited about football games, even when we had a perennial top 10 team and went to the playoffs every year.

We'd play Ouchita Baptist, or Harding or Glenville State some other team you'd never heard of or didn't care about. We're in the Final 4 this year and we're playing the Shepherd Rams. Y'all are lying if you say you've heard of them or know where they're from.

It's like going to watch Alabama play Chattanooga. Sure, you still pull for Alabama, but it's just not a fun game to watch. It's not exciting.

At least this provides the opportunity to get excited about games in a way we've never been able to before. And as long as we stay FCS I love it even more. I never want to see them move to FBS.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Also if y'all were wondering why Florence lost the D2 National Championship, and why I think we'll never get it back...

Here's Braley Stadium:

And here's Kansas City's Sporting Park (also called Children's Mercy Park), home of Kansas City's Major League Soccer team:

Which venue do you think is nicer for an NCAA Championship game?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I went to UNA and was involved in baseball there. We missed the boat when we didn't go when JSU and Troy made the move. As someone pointed out, after that the games were not worth being at and I always loved playing JSU and Troy. You could have a decent 1AA conference if you could have UNA, Troy, JSU, Samford, Alabama A&M, Alabama State, West Alabama, USA, and UAB. You could add in a West Georgia, Delta St. to round it out and people would love to watch the games.

bamaman65

All-SEC
Feb 27, 2006
North Alabama
I went to Florence State and I was against going Division 1. We are a big fish in a little pond being division 2. When we become division 1we will become a little fish in a big pond and lose to every power for big payday.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I went to Florence State and I was against going Division 1. We are a big fish in a little pond being division 2. When we become division 1we will become a little fish in a big pond and lose to every power for big payday.
Conference members will be Charleston Southern, Gardner Webb, Liberty, Kennesaw State, Presbyterian, and Monmouth. Unless they can establish some in-state rivalries, it will just be more of the same non-excitement.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.