Is Mullen a good coach for Oregon?

huskylawyer

Scout Team
Dec 4, 2016
Seattle
So the biggest rumor is Nike U and Phil Knight want to bring on Mullen as the new HC. You guys are obviously familiar with him, so hoping to get some intel.

Good coach? Think he can succeed?

Us Husky fans hate Oregon with a passion. We basically pounded them for a century, they had a great 15+ year run (no national championships though), and because they were used to being the mistreated step-child, they didn't know how to handle their success. By far the worst fans in college football. Many Husky fans won't even travel to Eugene because they'll vandalize our cars, start fights, etc. They are the worst of the worst. They have a Napoleon short guy complex to the extreme. They know Portland and Eugene will never be Seattle ha ha.

With that said, they have NFL like funds behind them. Knight is basically Jerry Jones. Their facilities are bonkers, and though Eugene is a progressive dump with a bunch of anarchists, it isn't a bad spot for a kid who wants flashy gear and facilities (with zero history or tradition).

Can Mullen succeed? I'm skeptical. UO is done IMHO unless they get lucky and get Chip Kelly back. UO will no longer poach WAshington prep talent (e.g., Jonathan Stewart) and we''ll just primarily compete for the Cali kids with the Cali schools (as we always do).

So tell me about Mullens and what we can expect. Thanks in advance.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It would take Mullen a few years to make it to where Oregon is a SERIOUS contender, but out of all the names being seriously thrown around he would be my top pick. The only drawback is that Oregon needs to be very patient, it's something I don't think they have done very well lately. I think if they fire another coach in the next 5 years then they are doomed to go back to the belloti days in which they are a contender when USC is down.

But let's say for argument's sake good and bad what we can expect from Mullen.

I say good is that he continues with what Kelly started and has the Northern California talent all to himself. I would say that would equal PAC 12 champs every other year. He would probably trade the north with Peterson.

I say bad would be that he doesn't get the Northern Californian recruiting pipeline. I would say he would be better than helfrich but Oregon would know that there are no championships in the next 10 years.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Similar to Chip Kelly, I think he's a very good coach for college quarterbacks and has an eye for finding diamonds in the rough and turning them into competent players. Probably worth a look if they don't nab Chip Kelly but my guess by how quiet it has been around that opening that they're playing a waiting game for the end of the Niners season.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I would think he would recruit better classes at Oregon, and he does know how to get the best out of what he has on hand. My guess is he would match or better his winning per centage at Oregon verses his time at Miss State.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I would say that Chip Kelly of 2017 wouldn't be as effective at Oregon as he was before he left for the NFL.

He's shown himself to be a one-trick pony with that offense -- a hell of a trick, but still just one -- and that's a big reason why his success in the League hasn't been what it was in Eugene.

Since then, defenses have caught up, as have the rules and the refs. He'd be successful, no doubt. But the basketball on grass of 2010-14 just isn't any more.

Mullen can, however, make passable chicken salad out of chicken droppings.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I agree Mullen is a good coach. If you can win at MSU on a semi-regular basis you are a good coach. I think it would be a good hire for Oregon but not sure Mullen would leave for the northwest.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I would say that Chip Kelly of 2017 wouldn't be as effective at Oregon as he was before he left for the NFL.

He's shown himself to be a one-trick pony with that offense -- a hell of a trick, but still just one -- and that's a big reason why his success in the League hasn't been what it was in Corvallis.

Since then, defenses have caught up, as have the rules and the refs. He'd be successful, no doubt. But the basketball on grass of 2010-14 just isn't any more.

Mullen can, however, make passable chicken salad out of chicken droppings.
I think the honest truth about Oregon and Chip Kelly is the same for practically all of the PAC 12, it revolves around how well USC and UCLA are doing. I'll give Chip this, he was smart enough to take the Belloti USC reject theory and expand on it by aggressively trying to own the state. But the problem is that Chip's success also revolved around the probation. Yeah everyone likes to point at CLK's tenure there as a complete and utter failure, but also remember CLK knocked Oregon out of the title in 2011 while on probation. That's also a pretty loaded Oregon team coming off a bcs title bout the year before going against a talent deprived USC team. Imagine if CLK took USC over without sanctions. Would Chip been as dominate with him and harbaugh competing for recruits.

The problem with Helfrich is that he couldn't lock down those recruiting pipelines that chip established earlier. Mostly because Sarkisian and Kiffin started to trend them back towards USC

I believe Oregon has a false perception upon themselves that they are a staying power in college football because they are THE NIKE SCHOOL, but that doesn't make Eugene an oasis compared to LA when it comes to a recruit that isn't blown away by Nike apparel. The reason for Oregon's rise is plain and simple the fact that Carrol left and the NCAA hammer came down on USC. They are the occasional contender like in 01 and 07, but they aren't historically a team that you would expect to go on a run of success like 08-14. So I doubt very seriously that Chip Kelly would've had the success he had if USC wasn't on probation.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Another reason Chip Kelly flourished was the changing of the NCAA clock rules - if you'll notice, since the NCAA started holding the offense to allow the defense to substitute when the O does, the super-fast HUNH teams have all taken a nose-dive. They were successful by taking advantage of the rules, which have change (slightly) since then.

IOW, Kell at Oregon wouldn't be the same even IF he could recruit like he did when USC was beaten up by scholarship limitations...

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I think he would do a good job. As others have mentioned he recruits well to a difficult place (you probably haven't been to Starkville/no reason you should go, just trust us). He is a decent in-game coach and seems to be able to get his teams to play hard. I respected him some for not bailing on them after their big season with Dak. My guess is he'd do pretty well and up the level of defensive play for sure. No NCAA baggage.

And he doesn't go in for a lot of gimmicky <stuff> like Life Championships or using four quarterbacks a game. If I were you, I'd be content if they looked elsewhere.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I can see Mullen doing well there provided that he's given time to recruit and establish connections on the West Coast. Will Oregon give him that time? We'll see.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Taggart is a great up-and-coming coach. I think they were probably wise to not wait for Chip Kelly...wonder if they got cold feet?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.