QB recruiting for this class

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Doing this so I don't hijack some other thread with the question.
With the perceived depth issues going in to next season, how do you approach QB recruiting this year. Tua won the Elite 11 competition so he's obviously got some serious skill and seems to be a dyed-in-the-wool Bama man at this point. Jalen isn't going anywhere meaning Tua is obviously a redshirt his first year unless there's an injury. Jalen's youth and Tua's skill level may make it difficult to pull in another top flight recruit in this class. For depth issues in the short term, do you go after a JUCO QB with some experience, with him understanding he likely won't play a whole lot, but will garner some serious experience that may help him become a coach in the future. Doing so allows for that individual to graduate in a relatively short time span and we go after another QB or two next recruiting cycle. I think that would work better than having 2 true freshmen and a true soph on the roster at the same time, compressing your total QB depth chart into 2 classes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What JUCO worth a spit would come in with Jalen the starter?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Mac Jones is no slouch either. Different type of QB than Tua, but definitely has had some good coaching and played against some decent competition at Bolles.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
This is what happens when a team has a Star Freshman QB that is destined to be the starter for 3-4 years. Its going to be hard for us to recruit stud QB's for the next year or two. QB's coming out of HS want to start now, not later. So I suspect that we'll probably see another transfer or two happen before things are all said and done. The only constant at QB for us over the next few seasons will be Hurts. We need QB's that'll come in and not mind backing Hurts up and waiting their turn. Which will probably mean lesser 2-3 Star QB's.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Alabama's been left in a difficult situation to manage. I partially blame the rise of recruiting services. Though five star ratings are rare they give four star ratings to a wide swath of players. Truth is that there are hundreds of factors that cause one player be successful and go to the NFL vs someone who is only a roll player in college. They all arrive with the expectation that they are due something and when that something doesn't happen they assume it's somehow not their fault and a different situation will resolve it. I am actually OK with the senior transfer thing. I think it's nice that a kid who has been loyal to his school but hasn't been able to play can go take a shot. But what they are going to find are more players who are D1 recruits fighting for playing time. Alec Morris went to North Texas and started the first game, they lost, he was benched, and that was it. Not everybody is going to be Aaron Rogers and do insurance commercials.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I don't blame the recruiting services. I just assumed these guys see what he does in practice each day, and know they can't overtake him.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
recruiting services have a basic job to do. its a business. the circumstances at Alabama created this problem. it is a good problem. a freshman qb on a national champions team. as raw as he is overall coming from high school, coach and lane saw enough that said we can develop this young man with the team we have this year to do the job. he is still learning a lot about his position. if he gets his release earlier, and sees the field he will be super. I really believe tua is the more proven dual qb from Hawaii. but, he too will have to learn the college game, and reading defenses. mac jones will be a good addition, and we are back to when cooper, Alfred, Barnett, cornwell recruited with excellent resumes, well they took the chance one of them could win the job, but, a freshmen threw a wrench in the whole thing. cant blame the young men to go while they still have a chance to accomplish something.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We do have walk on qbs that's pretty good. I think We'll see three of them getting enough reps in the spring to see if Saban feel confident with them. It's not a sure thing Tua will be a back up next year because saban might redshirt him and Jones as well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We do have walk on qbs that's pretty good. I think We'll see three of them getting enough reps in the spring to see if Saban feel confident with them. It's not a sure thing Tua will be a back up next year because saban might redshirt him and Jones as well.
With Saban's desire to play the best player, I doubt that he would redshirt both. That said, he didn't put AJ on the field when he was clearly your second best QB in 2009, so who knows?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
You want to get some distance between Tua and Jalen as far as class goes. You don't want them one year apart if possible. I would expect Tua to redshirt next year unless Jalen suffers a season ending type injury, and his red shirt is pulled as a long term thing to try and save the season.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Yes, but he (Saban) has said if he needed a QB in a close game, AJ would've been the one to go in. He was only redshirted because we didn't have any injuries at the position.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Mac Jones is no slouch either. Different type of QB than Tua, but definitely has had some good coaching and played against some decent competition at Bolles.
I like Jalen, but there's no guarantee he's the starter next season, either. The best QB will be playing. If either of Tua or Jones gives us a better chance to win (not saying it's likely), that's who will be running the offense.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I like Jalen, but there's no guarantee he's the starter next season, either. The best QB will be playing. If either of Tua or Jones gives us a better chance to win (not saying it's likely), that's who will be running the offense.
That's unlikely Hurts will lose his job. he has experience and Saban values that a lot. Tua is good, but he has lot to work on his game.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
What JUCO worth a spit would come in with Jalen the starter?
One that knows he's not going to get a lot of playing time but is willing to learn. Basically, someone who decent but is facing never playing again vs. learning a ton at Bama. Then again, why would you burn a scholly on someone like that?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I think we all knew this would come. I heard rumors about Cornwell transferring last year, and I assumed he would before the season started when spring didn't go his way. Bateman as well, if he has any intention of trying for an NFL job, he's running out of time to make an impression. So neither of these guys leaving is a huge surprise. What I would like to know is how the coaching staff has been preparing for this. Who've we been in contact with, if anyone, as a contingency plan to secure some depth. Ideally you'd like to RS Tua and Mac to give them extra eligibility for when Jalen leaves via NFL or graduation, whichever comes first.

The other thing that I find interesting is that this recruiting class is already almost full. We already have (if memory serves me correctly) 23 recruits and we are still 2 months out from NSD. Of course there's always a chance that a kid or two will decommit, but it seems like we have a lot of early enrollees. I wonder if it's even too late in the game to go out and recruit a juco qb for depth if there isn't already one in the works.

Either way, I have all of the confidence in the world in the staff to make the best personnel decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Now here is our QBs competing for backup when Spring camp begins:
Josh Palet: Hudl film: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/151105/5721a8fc90eead5d9092ba7f
Montana Murphy: http://www.hudl.com/profile/2139225/montana-murphy
He was in a bad accident back in September.
Tua Tagovailoa: http://www.hudl.com/profile/2770433/tua-tagovailoa
Mac Jones: http://www.hudl.com/profile/2603821/mac-jones
Unless a spot opens I think we are in good shape.

Even if you bring in a grad transfer he's not going to come here to sit the bench if he's worth anything.

JH could go down in the first game of the season next year...

Cross that bridge if you come to it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.