10 years ago today... Rich Rodriguez turns down Alabama job

Dudeman

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2012
I was googling Rich Rod's wife and a post from the Auburn football message board appeared in the results. I clicked and found a real gem. Look what an Auburn fan had to say about Bama in 2006.

"Y[FONT=&quot]ou're confusing derisive laughter with concern.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Here's the deal. Auburn fans, contrary to your collective self-absorbed delusion, don't really care who gets hired at Bama. It could be Stoops, Saban, Spurrier, Rodriguez, Lombardi, Landry or Walsh. Why don't we care? Because we know two things:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1) You'll never be back like you think you'll be. Those days are gone and they're not going to return now or ever.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2) Since you'll never be back like you think you'll be, it's only a matter of time before you descend like wolves on yet another coach. A year ago, Shula invented buttered bread. There were posts on this forum and others ad nauseum about 4-9, 6-6, 10-2 progress is evident. He's the man for the job, clearly proven, obvious progress. And we were supposed to be scared of 2006 and terrified of the tidal wave coming in 2007 when you guys were a lock to win your 445th fake NC. And now Shula sucks, the program is in the toilet and 2007 is considered a wash? It is to laugh.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The interest you see here (and in other Auburn enclaves) is in UA getting humbled on the national stage. Why do we want Rodriguez to stay at WVU? Because it's funny. It's hilarious to watch Mal swing and miss at Spurrier and then claim there was never an offer and you didn't want him anyway. It's just comical to watch you guys flounder because it punctures that balloon of arrogance that surrounds you."

Oh to be an Auburn fan in 2016. Ha![/FONT]

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I was googling Rich Rod's wife and a post from the Auburn football message board appeared in the results. I clicked and found a real gem. Look what an Auburn fan had to say about Bama in 2006.

"You're confusing derisive laughter with concern.Here's the deal. Auburn fans, contrary to your collective self-absorbed delusion, don't really care who gets hired at Bama. It could be Stoops, Saban, Spurrier, Rodriguez, Lombardi, Landry or Walsh. Why don't we care? Because we know two things:
1) You'll never be back like you think you'll be. Those days are gone and they're not going to return now or ever.
2) Since you'll never be back like you think you'll be, it's only a matter of time before you descend like wolves on yet another coach. A year ago, Shula invented buttered bread. There were posts on this forum and others ad nauseum about 4-9, 6-6, 10-2 progress is evident. He's the man for the job, clearly proven, obvious progress. And we were supposed to be scared of 2006 and terrified of the tidal wave coming in 2007 when you guys were a lock to win your 445th fake NC. And now Shula sucks, the program is in the toilet and 2007 is considered a wash? It is to laugh.
The interest you see here (and in other Auburn enclaves) is in UA getting humbled on the national stage. Why do we want Rodriguez to stay at WVU? Because it's funny. It's hilarious to watch Mal swing and miss at Spurrier and then claim there was never an offer and you didn't want him anyway. It's just comical to watch you guys flounder because it punctures that balloon of arrogance that surrounds you."

Oh to be an Auburn fan in 2016. Ha!
That's amazing.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com

"Y[FONT="]ou're confusing derisive laughter with concern.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#272A34][FONT="]Here's the deal. Auburn fans, contrary to your collective self-absorbed delusion, don't really care who gets hired at Bama. It could be Stoops, Saban, Spurrier, Rodriguez, Lombardi, Landry or Walsh. Why don't we care? Because we know two things:[/FONT]
[FONT="]1) You'll never be back like you think you'll be. Those days are gone and they're not going to return now or ever.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#272A34][FONT="]2) Since you'll never be back like you think you'll be, it's only a matter of time before you descend like wolves on yet another coach. A year ago, Shula invented buttered bread. There were posts on this forum and others ad nauseum about 4-9, 6-6, 10-2 progress is evident. He's the man for the job, clearly proven, obvious progress. And we were supposed to be scared of 2006 and terrified of the tidal wave coming in 2007 when you guys were a lock to win your 445th fake NC. And now Shula sucks, the program is in the toilet and 2007 is considered a wash? It is to laugh.[/FONT]

[FONT="]The interest you see here (and in other Auburn enclaves) is in UA getting humbled on the national stage. Why do we want Rodriguez to stay at WVU? Because it's funny. It's hilarious to watch Mal swing and miss at Spurrier and then claim there was never an offer and you didn't want him anyway. It's just comical to watch you guys flounder because it punctures that balloon of arrogance that surrounds you."

Oh to be an Auburn fan in 2016. Ha![/FONT]
Laughing...REALLY laughing...so much that someone stopped by my office as they walked by to see what I was laughing at...this ΛΛΛΛ should win "post of the day".

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

"You're confusing derisive laughter with concern.Here's the deal. Auburn fans, contrary to your collective self-absorbed delusion, don't really care who gets hired at Bama. It could be Stoops, Saban, Spurrier, Rodriguez, Lombardi, Landry or Walsh. Why don't we care? Because we know two things:
1) You'll never be back like you think you'll be. Those days are gone and they're not going to return now or ever.
2) Since you'll never be back like you think you'll be, it's only a matter of time before you descend like wolves on yet another coach. A year ago, Shula invented buttered bread. There were posts on this forum and others ad nauseum about 4-9, 6-6, 10-2 progress is evident. He's the man for the job, clearly proven, obvious progress. And we were supposed to be scared of 2006 and terrified of the tidal wave coming in 2007 when you guys were a lock to win your 445th fake NC. And now Shula sucks, the program is in the toilet and 2007 is considered a wash? It is to laugh.
The interest you see here (and in other Auburn enclaves) is in UA getting humbled on the national stage. Why do we want Rodriguez to stay at WVU? Because it's funny. It's hilarious to watch Mal swing and miss at Spurrier and then claim there was never an offer and you didn't want him anyway. It's just comical to watch you guys flounder because it punctures that balloon of arrogance that surrounds you."

It's little gems like this that inspire me to pull for anyone playing the barn. I don't hate the team or school, I just despise 99% of their fan base and only tolerate the rest. Boomer Sooner!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Best not to talk smack, but if you have to, don't put it in writing, and definitely don't post it on the internet. :biggrin:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I would quote "Dudeman" in an earlier post, but for some reason I can't from this computer at my work. His post was almost word for word from a Tennessee fan I know in an email. I wished I would have saved that email to look back on it. If I were a lower individual, I would remind this guy everytime I see him. We haven't been beaten by them since he sent the email to me. I worked with his wife and didn't even know the guy. I really love how times have changed since the Shula days.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I remeber a coworker broke the news to me that Rodriguez had backed out of the agreement early that morning. While he (RR) wasn't my first choice, I was disappointed and worried about how the program was going to recover.

We all know what happened next. Anyone else remember hearing "Saban will be gone in three years"?
We're still hearing it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.