10 years ago today... Rich Rodriguez turns down Alabama job

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I remeber a coworker broke the news to me that Rodriguez had backed out of the agreement early that morning. While he (RR) wasn't my first choice, I was disappointed and worried about how the program was going to recover.

We all know what happened next. Anyone else remember hearing "Saban will be gone in three years"?

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I remember being excited 10 years ago at the news Rich Rod was coming to Tuscaloosa. I am now disappointed with myself for feeling that way. :D

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Small things like this or Tim Tebow's choice to attend Florida - you really have no idea how broad their impact might be. Looking back, several things led up to the Saban hire at Alabama. A hire that has changed the landscape of the entire sport.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I was less than a mile from the parking lot at Dallas Seminary when this news came over the radio. I began using......not very Christian language to put it mildly - and pounding the steering wheel. It was an absolute disastrous hire, I was convinced. I was never impressed by his 'accomplishments' at WVA. Go look closer and you see his success occurred after the big guns - Miami and VT, in particular - left the Big East.

Easier schedule = coach looks like a genius.

Nothing has changed my assessment from that time, either.

I got back in the car to drive to work around 1035 that morning, and the reports began saying it was NOT a sure thing.

In all of our hires post-Bryant, the only one I liked BEFORE it was made was Saban. Of course, it's a crapshoot, too. The hiring of Mike Dubious set us back a decade, and the hiring of Shula would have if not for Saban.

Thank God that all worked out for us.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I loved the Paul Finescum quote. He didnt comment on Rita. I recall listening to him talk about her hair and where would she buy mexican food in T-Town. The bald headed non christian is a liar. Coach Bryant refused him any private interviews, yet he acts like he and CPB were buddies. What I cant stand about him is that he says he is a journalist, he is nothing more than a paid hack.
Tasteless.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

​This week's episode: The REC team follows Flynn to West Virginia in December 2006 to block Flynn's efforts to stop Coach Rodriguez from turning down the Alabama job.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I loved the Paul Finescum quote. He didnt comment on Rita. I recall listening to him talk about her hair and where would she buy mexican food in T-Town. The bald headed non christian is a liar. Coach Bryant refused him any private interviews, yet he acts like he and CPB were buddies. What I cant stand about him is that he says he is a journalist, he is nothing more than a paid hack.
Whoa. Is that kind of thing tolerated at Tide Fans? Disgusting.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.