Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief bayoutider's Avatar

Smile Tailgating memories

Anyone having a cool story or funny ancedote they would like to share and possibly have it added to the cookbook please post here.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

"You don't have to flaunt your success, but you don't have to apologize for it, either" -- Gene Stallings

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts." -Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

2. Advertisement
    Well it's not a funny story but one I remember.

It was a game at Legion Field several years back. We always parked at the same spot across the street from a beauty shop. We consumed many adult beverages before and after the game. We were playing catch with the football and my buddy slipped on some gravel trying to make a diving catch and fell. We got home and he went to bed. He woke his wife up at 2 in the morning complaining he couldn't sleep due to pain in his shoulder. Took him to the emergency room and sure enough he had broken his collar bone.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."- Benjamin Franklin

"Don't look back! The lemmings are gaining on you!"

This isn't really food related or Bama related, but I remember a story a couple of years ago about some Dolphins fans who left their single use grill underneath their SUV. Apparently the fire hadn't gone out and after the game their SUV had burned to the ground. Cars onb either side were smoldered as well.

I remember one time I went to a Bama game with my friends and we drank a bunch of beer and ate some fried chicken.

Wait-- that has happened several times...
    Before anyone did anything, Elvis did everything.

Thank you, thank you very much.

BamaNation All-American BamaArrived2006's Avatar

Big A

My first real tailgating memory happened 2 seasons ago we were hanging out with my bro's friend's family and Andrew(my bro's friend) was drinking a coke and he set it down and a wasp went in it. The next drink came and Andrew had the wasp in his mouth and it bit his toungue and then his toungue swelled up really bad!

I Remember '55

“You can’t be a soft football team. We’re not going to be a soft football team. We have to develop the players we have here to be tougher and we have to recruit the kind of players who have that kind of character and attitude and are that kind of competitor" Nick Saban

I BELIEVE

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Tailgating memories

I've taken 'shine to the Quad, but I don't have a recipe for it.

Man, you brought back a memory. Years ago, I'd driven over to the Chatooga River, border of GA and SC, and we'd planned a combo raft/kayak trip. My BIL had flown down from NJ with his son. We were going to drive back to HSV after the trip. At the takeout, I'd cracked a beer and set it down on the hood of the car while I was loading up the boats. When I picked it up and took a swallow, there was something fuzzy in my mouth and the taste of novocaine flooded my mouth and there was a dull pain on the bottom right of my tongue. I spit out a yellow jacket. I drove the six hours back to HSV, while all my mates slept soundly as I cursed them. We got stopped by the cops in Hayesville, NC, while they spent 45 minutes checking our identities, etc. I'm sure we looked suspicious, with five kayaks on top a Mercedes, everyone but the driver asleep, driving from the direction of a prime whitewater river. I didn't swell, and a couple of Advil killed the dull pain. I'd add a caveat, though. The less swelling and local reaction one has to bee stings, etc., the more at risk one is of a life-threatening anaphylactic shock reaction - and vice versa...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

BamaNation Hall of Fame TommyMac's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    Man, you brought back a memory. Years ago, I'd driven over to the Chatooga River, border of GA and SC, and we'd planned a combo raft/kayak trip. My BIL had flown down from NJ with his son. We were going to drive back to HSV after the trip. At the takeout, I'd cracked a beer and set it down on the hood of the car while I was loading up the boats. When I picked it up and took a swallow, there was something fuzzy in my mouth and the taste of novocaine flooded my mouth and there was a dull pain on the bottom right of my tongue. I spit out a yellow jacket. I drove the six hours back to HSV, while all my mates slept soundly as I cursed them. We got stopped by the cops in Hayesville, NC, while they spent 45 minutes checking our identities, etc. I'm sure we looked suspicious, with five kayaks on top a Mercedes, everyone but the driver asleep, driving from the direction of a prime whitewater river. I didn't swell, and a couple of Advil killed the dull pain. I'd add a caveat, though. The less swelling and local reaction one has to bee stings, etc., the more at risk one is of a life-threatening anaphylactic shock reaction - and vice versa...
    Probably a good thing your tongue didn't swell up, or the cops might have thought you were blitzed trying to talk with a mouth full of tongue.
    "I'm just a simple plowhand from Arkansas, but I've learned over the years how to hold a team together, how to lift some men up, how to calm others down, until finally they've got one heartbeat, together, a team."

Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-SEC specialkpntbl's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

I have an embarrassing story...

I forget what game it was, but it doesn't matter. Me and my dad were taking turns pulling the cooler from the car. It was filled with my beer, his beer, and some buddies of ours beer. Basically it was full of beer, and I think a bottle of wine too... Anyways, Dad was pulling it along the sidewalk around the quad when we he ran over a wad of extension cords ran across the sidewalk. Long story short he kept going and the cooler stopped, fell over, and spilled everything. I think the whole quad looked at us and went "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

Quite embarrassing...
    Defeat is part of football, remembered -- in the South -- even longer than victory. It is the lurking possibility of defeat that makes victory so sweet; it lies there waiting in ambush, out of sight, beyond anyone's control, ready to snap sweet victory away in merciless iron jaws