Looming Pension Crisis

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Just curious, how many people work for companies now that give pensions. Most now only have 401Ks and thats all that I have ever had..

Last edited:

ga_tide_fan

1st Team
Aug 13, 2001
Griffin, GA.
My Company Offers apension...

The company I work for offers a pension for now... It will not be long before it is dumped on the taxpayers however... We are on a Cash Balance Pension... I can take the money as a lump sum upon retirement or monthly...

The PBGC knows we are coming and 66,000 employees know we are headed towards the PBGC...

If you want to know who I work for just think Atlanta / Hartsfield / largest carrier.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
ga_tide_fan said:
The company I work for offers a pension for now... It will not be long before it is dumped on the taxpayers however... We are on a Cash Balance Pension... I can take the money as a lump sum upon retirement or monthly...

The PBGC knows we are coming and 66,000 employees know we are headed towards the PBGC...

If you want to know who I work for just think Atlanta / Hartsfield / largest carrier.
Do you fly the friendly skies?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
More likely...

Delta. The funding rules for defined benefit plans have been progressively relaxed for the last ten years or so. It's coming home to roost...

ga_tide_fan

1st Team
Aug 13, 2001
Griffin, GA.
Good Goes Around...

Yeah, I am a Delta employee... WE do have a Cash Benefit Pension right now.. We also have 401K with a 2% match up to 4%... I hope management here at Delta finds a way to retain our pensions but it does not look good. After United and UsAirways both dump their pension it will force Delta and all carriers with underfunded pension plans to do the same just to be able to compete financially. If Congress does give in to the pension reform being lobbied in Washington it will help and not cost the taxpayers anything more than what United has already dumped on them.

Anyone know of a good job making about 45,000 per year? I am proficient in SAP, XP, Excel, Powerpoint, Word, and BRIO. Ex-military with stellar job reviews and great references. I love my current job but will pursue any option to better myself. Right now my job title is Production Control Scheduler.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Taxpayer-funded pensions for government workers:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/steve-malanga-the-pension-sink-is-gulping-billions-in-tax-raises-1421106634

California Gov. Jerry Brown sold a $6 billion tax increase to voters in 2012 by promising that nearly half of the money would go to bolster public schools. Critics argued that much of the new revenue would wind up in California’s severely underfunded teacher pension system. They were right.

Last June Mr. Brown signed legislation that will require school districts to increase funding for teachers’ pensions from less than $1 billion this year in school year 2014-15, which started in September, to $3.7 billion by 2021, gobbling up much of the new tax money. With the state’s general government pension fund, Calpers, also demanding more money, California taxpayer advocate Joel Fox recently observed that no matter what local politicians tell voters, when you see tax increases, “think pensions.”
Taxpayer-funded healthcare for government retirees:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/robert-...t-bomb-in-public-employee-benefits-1421367030

Public-pension funds have garnered attention in recent years for being underfunded, but a more precarious situation has received much less notice: health-care obligations for public retirees.

Unlike pension plans, governments are not required to contribute to separate trusts to support health-care promises. As a result, only 11 states have funded more than 10% of retiree health-care liabilities, according to a November 2013 report from the credit-rating agency Standard & Poor’s. For example, New Jersey has almost no assets backing one of the largest retiree health-care liabilities of any state—$63.8 billion.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Most people don't know that this crisis was predicted decades ago. The solution was also proposed and we saw the culmination of those blueprints in the auto industry. The auto industry was deemed worthy of being saved by such action. A few others will find similar help.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Most people don't know that this crisis was predicted decades ago. The solution was also proposed and we saw the culmination of those blueprints in the auto industry. The auto industry was deemed worthy of being saved by such action. A few others will find similar help.
"Some are more equal than others."

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm guessing 4 out of 5 on this board dont even have a pension. They seem to be limited today to unions, government and utilities.
My company has a pension, however, they stopped accepting new people into the pension plan right before I was hired. So all I have is a 401(k). Outside of that, I rolled my accumulated pension money from my old company, along with my old 401(k) into an IRA. I don't have any company funded retirement. If I don't save, I don't retire.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
My company is owned by BB&T Bank, but we are not eligible for BB&T's pension program, yet last year we were transitioned to their payroll and benefit package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I once had a 401K with a company for which I worked in South Carolina. Then one day we were informed that the management of our 401K program was being transferred to the bank at which the owner of our company did business and which held the note on his business loans. It was in my opinion at the time that there was too much of an opportunity for abuse of the program in general and the funds therein that I withdrew my funds and transferred them to my personal bank account.
Yes, I paid a penalty. But no, no one else had access to my money and they couldn't put it to their own personal use.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I once had a 401K with a company for which I worked in South Carolina. Then one day we were informed that the management of our 401K program was being transferred to the bank at which the owner of our company did business and which held the note on his business loans. It was in my opinion at the time that there was too much of an opportunity for abuse of the program in general and the funds therein that I withdrew my funds and transferred them to my personal bank account.
Yes, I paid a penalty. But no, no one else had access to my money and they couldn't put it to their own personal use.
There really are pretty good safeguards against that in ERISA. The bank was the custodian. You also could have rolled the distribution to an IRA within 60 days and you would have paid no penalty nor income tax on the distribution...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is a little-understood unintended consequence of artificially reduced interest rates.

Most defined benefit plans assume a long-term rate of return, incorporating a meaningful allocation of the investment corpus to bonds.

With even long-term bonds yielding historically low numbers for an extended period of time, it puts pension finds in an untenable position.

You either: (1) over-allocate to riskier assets (and expose your retirees and taxpayers to the possibility of a shortfall if the risk breaks the wrong way, or (2) keep the normal asset allocations and expose those constituencies to a different kind of shortfall if the corpus doesn't achieve the projected growth.

And no, once you fiddle with the markets' natural movements, there isn't a painless way of getting back to equilibrium.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.