The Greatest Brine For Smoking Meat Ever...

ga_tide_fan

1st Team
Aug 13, 2001
Griffin, GA.
I used this brine to soak my turkey legs and whole chickens in last weekned and those turkey legs tasted just like the one's you buy at a fair or festival.. Awesome.. The chickens were not bad either....

1 Bottle of Liquid Smoke
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Sea Salt
3/4 Gallon of Water

Blend all together in large bowl or pan. Marinate meat in brine for 8-12 hours. Place in preheated smoker (obviously). Smoke until done. Turkey legs 3-4 hours, whole chickens 6 hours. Make sure you soak your wood chips too. I used mesquite wood chips... Truly awesome !!!!

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I love brined food especially chickens and turkey. Beef does well also (that's how they make corned beef). I don't often do seafood or pork except whole fish and fresh hams.

My brine is a little different. No liquid smoke.

For every gallon of water you need:
1/2 cup salt (salt lesson: kosher salt weighs less per cup than box salt. When using kosher salt in brines add 1/4 cup salt for every 1/2 cup used totaling 3/4 cup. Sea salt is one of the more expensive salts you can use and it has no flavor benefit, none, nada, zilch. Buy Morton's Kosher salt it is cheap)
1/2 cup brown sugar - light or dark packed

To this I like to add - for chicken and turkey:
couple of quartered oranges
couple of quartered lemons
and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and thyme.
(instead of the lemon and orange, try some apple juice - unsweetened juice)

For beef add to the salt and sugar:
2 tbsp peppercorns
2 tbsp whole corriander

For Pork:
same as for chicken and turkey but as a twist try substituting molasses for the sugar add sliced fresh ginger or some other asian spices. Also try the apple juice. Do try to get unsweetened juice.

For fish and seafood:
same as chicken. Try spices like dill or tarragon in moderation. Tarragon is strong.

Brine has a lot of sugar which can burn on the meat turing it black. If this bothers you, don't brine.

To dry or not to dry? I suggest rinsing and drying the meat before cooking. Wet chicken and turkey can leave the skin rubbery. Sounds strange but dry the bird with a hair dryer works miracles for a good crispy skin.

You HAVE to refrigerate the meat while it brines. I had the benefit of an old refrigerator in the garage mostly used to keep beer in that I could remove a shelf and put a 5 gallon plastic bucket full of chickens or turkey in. You HAVE to use a non reactive container (non-metal) DO NOT use galvanized buckets. I have seen people use garbage bags in metal containers. I say do this at your own risk, at least double bag them. When brining using large zip lock bags use a ice chest full of ice for refrigeration. Open the drain to let the water out and keep the ice replaced.

How long does brine take?
Whole Chicken 3-8 hrs
Chicken Pieces 1-2 hrs
Whole Turkey 12 hrs-2 days
Turkey Breast 4-8 hrs
Cornish Game Hens 1-2 hrs
Shrimp & fish 1-2 hrs
Pork Chops 2-6 hrs
Pork Tenderloin 2-8 hrs
Fresh Ham 12 hrs-2 days
Pork Ribs 3-5 hours
Beef Ribs 4-6 hours
Beef Brisket 12-24 hours
Whole Pork Loin 1-3 days

That's probably all I know about brine. ;)

No it isn't. Brined food cooks faster than non-brined food. Reduce cooking time by about 1/4 to 1/3.

Last edited:

TideBeliever

1st Team
Mar 26, 2003
Huntsville, AL USA
Bird Brine

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pickling salt
4 cups cranapple juice
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried thyme

Place bird in brine overnight. Remove bird and pat dry, then let air dry for an hour before smoking.

Dartigan

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Bumping an old thread, but kudos to me for doing a search, right?!

Reading another thread about smoking, I now find myself wanting to smoke a boston butt. To the best of my memory, I've never brined a butt overnight. I've "koshered" one by rubbing salt in, letting it stand on a wire rack and washing.

I've just recently started brining foods, and I'm pleased with the results. Wings brined for 2 hours with honey replacing sugar in the recipe is GREAT!

Anyway, I'm just looking for feedback on brining a boston butt. Any successes or failures? I will likely buy one tomorrow and brine it overnight. Saturday morning, I'll put it over hickory for 2-3 hours on indirect heat (225-250) and finish it on the gas grill wrapped in foil. I've found after the bark and smoke ring are formed, no additional flavor are imparted and the foil keeps the meat moist.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
There are dozens of brine solutions you can use about all of them are salt, sugar and lots of water plus whatever. I just have one thing to say about liquid smoke. If you are going to put the meat on a smoker what's the point? ;)

Not saying you have to use my chart but the brine times are on target. Adjust one of the recipes to suit you or find another in a book or online. It's good eats.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.