You make the call

SweetHomeAlabama

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 13, 2002
Team A is on offense and runs a play to the 3 yard line, appears to fumble, but the officials rule the ball was down, spots it and changes the down marker. Team B calls a timeout and Team B's coach confronts the officials. Officials huddle for a couple of minutes and then give the ball to Team B. Was this a legit call?

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
This is one that I would probably have to see to be able to comment on. However, I can think of a couple of things to consider. First, it is not uncommon for officials with different angles to see different things. It is possible that one official did not see the ball come out and thought that the runner was down while another official had a different angle and could see the ball come out first. That is why officials are allowed to discuss the play and then make a ruling. It is possible that the Team B coach said that he thought that it was a fumble and asked the referee to talk to the rest of the crew about it. If so, I see nothing wrong with that. The main emphasis is on getting the call right. So, if a member of the crew with a better angle saw the fumble, the call could be changed.

There is another problem, however. If the official that thought that the runner was down blew his whistle at that time, the play was dead and B couldn't gain possession (unless possession was had by B before the whistle). A would have the option of taking the ball at the spot where possession was lost and counting the down or of replaying the down. In your scenario, A could choose to replay the down or take the ball at the 3 and count the down.

If possession was gained by B before the whistle, then B would have the choice of taking the ball at the spot of possession at the time of the whistle or of replaying the down. In your situation, B would most likely take the ball at the 3.

Having not been there, I really can't say what happened so all of this is just speculation. However, it could have been legit.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
SweetHomeAlabama said:
Team A is on offense and runs a play to the 3 yard line, appears to fumble, but the officials rule the ball was down, spots it and changes the down marker. Team B calls a timeout and Team B's coach confronts the officials. Officials huddle for a couple of minutes and then give the ball to Team B. Was this a legit call?
From a mechanics standpoint, if there was something to "huddle" about, that should have been done before making a ruling. Once a ruling is made, the only time it can be changed is if there was a misinterpretation of the rules.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.