Is winning in Youth Sports Important?

Is winning in Youth sports important?

• Yes! Winning at all costs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. It is more important that they learn basic skills.

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Is winning in youth sports important?

Just a question to Youth Coaches or parents with kids on teams.

Last edited:

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
You have posed an interesting question. I do not think that it can be answered with only the two available choices. I believe that there has to be a middle ground between the two. I do not believe that youth sports should be about winning at all costs. However, winning and losing is an important part of participating in youth sports.

Youth sports should fill a number of functions. It should serve as an opportunity for kids to exercise, learn the rules and fundamentals of the game, and to have fun. It should also be an opportunity to learn life lessons. Among those are sportsmanship and teamwork in which a child learns how to work with others and how to behave responsibly. Another life lesson that youth sports can, and should, teach is that in life you don't always get what you want. As an adult, you don't always get the dream job or dream house. By losing a few games in youth sports, you learn that lesson and you can learn how to deal with it. You can also learn that if you work harder, you have a much better chance of winning the next game or of making that job you get as an adult just as rewarding as the "dream job."

Having said all of that, yes, I do believe that winning and losing is important, but it is not the only thing that is important. If only we could convince everyone of that.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
My boys usually can't remember the scores to their games a few days later. They remember the games, but not the scores. It would seem that it is not very important to them.

They have fun, get exercise, learn a sport, and learn to play as a member of a team. That is what is important at early ages. As they get older and their competitive spirit kicks in, you must hope that they have already learned good sportsmanship. If not, it is too late...

Mar 12, 2003
Talladega, AL.
www.line-man.com
Never cared about winning, have 2 kids playing ball with a nephew. Have coached t-ball to peewee basketball, and we had some great teams that have won it all, etc. but I'd feel much better knowing a kid learned something from me than us win and they didnt learn anything. There is something majorly wrong with our youth sports system that needs to be changed. Too many want to win everything no matter what, and what for? I got some championship trophies but what are they gonna get ME? That's what most coaches need to understand, its not about them; its about the kids. I came up when little league was supposed to be about 'learning', too bad its changed.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
POWERLINEMAN42 said:
Never cared about winning, have 2 kids playing ball with a nephew. Have coached t-ball to peewee basketball, and we had some great teams that have won it all, etc. but I'd feel much better knowing a kid learned something from me than us win and they didnt learn anything. There is something majorly wrong with our youth sports system that needs to be changed. Too many want to win everything no matter what, and what for? I got some championship trophies but what are they gonna get ME? That's what most coaches need to understand, its not about them; its about the kids. I came up when little league was supposed to be about 'learning', too bad its changed.
I read you loud and clear! Last night two of my JV girls got to play Varsity. One had a steal and a basket. The Varsity lost, but they were grinning from ear to ear at the end of the game! It was great!

Mar 12, 2003
Talladega, AL.
www.line-man.com
We looked bad last night, but it was the first game of the year for us. Our zone and press defenses looked pretty good but we were sloppy on offense. Still trying to teach most how to dribble with their 'off' hand, every kid dribbles to the right corner and gets trapped :biggrin:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
POWERLINEMAN42 said:
We looked bad last night, but it was the first game of the year for us. Our zone and press defenses looked pretty good but we were sloppy on offense. Still trying to teach most how to dribble with their 'off' hand, every kid dribbles to the right corner and gets trapped :biggrin:
It must be contagious, notify the CDC!
;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.