Jai Miller (MERGED THREADS)

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
I remember him signing with Stanford a couple years back. I believe he was drafted by the Marlins and decided to try baseball instead. It would be nice to have that kind of athlete around. If he really has enrolled, that would make three new guys in this spring besides early enrolled recruits. That seems unusually high. I guess guys realize that Alabama will be the place to be come 2007.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Jai Miller on campus?

Another board is discussing the possibilty that Jai Miller in on UA campus and could be looking at football. Supposedly formerly recruited by Bama and others choosing Stanford. Also ML baseball prospect. Any scoop from board members?

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
POWERLINEMAN42 said:
I think he also played b'ball at Stanford.....Or he wanted to, I think.
Jai Miller signed with Stanford and then opted to go play professional baseball with the Marlins organization. The Marlins will be paying for his education and he will if anything walk-on to the football team.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Supposedly he may fall under the "baseball pays for education" category. Guess this could mean that he no longer is playing baseball but the team still has to pay for his schooling. Not sure what that would mean re: his playing football as a walkon/non schlly player?

great2batidefan

1st Team
May 8, 2003
Chester, VA
Tide-N-Texas said:
Who is Jai Miller? Name sounds familiar from recruiting a few years ago....
He is from Selma and was the #23 rated athlete in 2003. (according to rivals)

They had him rated with 3 stars. That is about all I know. Some of his stats can be seen at rivals, check out Stanford's 2003 class and follow his link.

Roll Tide

TideTiger2005

1st Team
Jul 16, 2004
dvldog said:
Not sure what that would mean re: his playing football as a walkon/non schlly player?
We've had a few players do this in the past. Marcus McKnight was one of the most recent. From a football perspective, they are no different than any other walk ons. It just so happens that pro-baseball is paying the bills.

If you go look at our recruiting class of 2003, McKnight is not listed:

Scout

Rivals** - You will have to change the year to 2003 from the drop down box.

If Jai Miller has baseball paying the bills, Alabama gets a walk on with Jai Miller's talent and abilities without having to use one of our valuable scholarships.

Crimson Surfer

News|BB|FB|REC, Super Moderator
Jul 14, 2001
Henderson, NV
Here is his old profile from 2003 for a refresher. Some are saying he is enrolling at Alabama. I have not seen anything official on it. Apparently he never enrolled at Stanford and his NCAA eligibility clock would not start until he takes his first class. I read that he had signed a contract to play pro baseball and he played in the minors with the Marlins orgainization. I do not know his current status or if the rumors are true.

Bama Mag: Jai Miller Profile

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wait, I thought it didn't matter if a player was going to school on another schollie - if they play football it counts against your 85.

Anyone to clarify?

Willis

3rd Team
Sep 9, 2005
pike said:
It wouldn't be a scholarship, just a baseball team footing his education bill. He would only count against the 105 roster limit.
I thought that if you were a "recruited walk-on" you were counted against the 85 even if you were not on scholarship. We did recruit him at one point so one would think...

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
crimsonaudio said:
Wait, I thought it didn't matter if a player was going to school on another schollie - if they play football it counts against your 85.
That's true. A scholy player that plays football counts against FB scholy limits. They have a smilar rule for basketball too.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
Recuited walk-on

Willis said:
I thought that if you were a "recruited walk-on" you were counted against the 85 even if you were not on scholarship. ..
The recruited part only applies to finincial aid such as the Bryant Scholarship. A recruited player on the Bryant scholarship must sit out 2 years before playing. A non-recruited player does not have to wait.

This article covers this issue.
http://alabama.scout.com/2/226526.html

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.