New Alabama Elephant Logo?

TideMobileBay

1st Team
Jan 7, 2003
Mobile, Al
Does anyone know where this "Mad Elephant" Logo comes from? I saw it a lot while looking for a hat for my son. I think it is really cool, but I've never seen it before today.

It is a new offical school logo or something some enterprising young lad came up with?

Last edited:

uafootball92

1st Team
Sep 21, 2005
St. Charles, Missouri
I hate that logo. I have seen it and just don't understand it.

Anyway, when I saw the thread title, I thought we actually had an official brand new logo. I said "Oh no, not again!". Don't get me wrong the Script A is pretty cool and easy to draw and all that jazz, but I still like the old A we had with the elephant coming through like we had in the 90's. Either way though, if it deals with Alabama football...I like it! :)

BamaTodd

1st Team
Oct 8, 2002
Gotham City/Batcave
I hate the most recent elephant logo. I wish that they would go back to the old-school logo of the big A with the elephant crashing through it.

You can still find some of that stuff, and thats all that I will buy.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
and this will turn in to another logo debate......Feb. 24, get here now !

BTW, that is NOT AN OFFICIAL LOGO....as already stated, it's a zephyr design.

TerryP

Suspended
Oct 8, 1999
This logo reminds me of the NBC drama, Surface. What is it suppose to be? It looks like a DNA experiment gone awry...mixture between a Mollusk and the Marlins logo?

If you are looking to buy a hat for your son, visit the Tidefans.com store at least...if not, get one from one of the bookstores on campus.

UAB-CT

All-SEC
Mar 4, 2005
Northport, AL
If you think the Zepher elephant head looks bad you should see their design for Auburn. It looks so ridiculous, you can't even tell what it is.

BAMMAR

All-SEC
May 15, 2002
atlanta ga usa
that elephant looks like it is from conference usa.
I wish they would have never messed with our logo what was so wrong with the A with the elephant walking through it.

TideMobileBay

1st Team
Jan 7, 2003
Mobile, Al
Thanks for the info.

But I have to disagree big time. As a MASCOT logo it is head and shoulders (pardon the pun) better than the elephant head and shoulders graphic that came out in the during Duboses tenure (the one that roars on the Jumbo-tron at Bryant Denny).

The Script A is classic. Perfect. Wouldn't want that to change.

But if you want something that shows your mascot, you want big Al looking mean, not cute and cuddly, or downright dull.

There was a cool Mascot Logo we had back in the 70's and 80's of Big AL standing with a jersey on and shoulderpads holding a football. That was great...certainly not cute, cuddly or dull

Last edited:

TurningTide

1st Team
Dec 17, 2004
cartoon logos, both old elephant and new elephant, are cheesy. Our official logo of the script A is classy and should stay forever.

TideMobileBay

1st Team
Jan 7, 2003
Mobile, Al
TurningTide said:
cartoon logos, both old elephant and new elephant, are cheesy. Our official logo of the script A is classy and should stay forever.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

First, I am not suggesting the university needs to do anything. I love the script A and hope it is around for a long, long time.

I am in involved in advertising so I know a little about this. Most companies have a primary graphic ID or logo. This is the main logo (in our case the Script A) and it is the version that is used most. However, it is common to have secondary graphics or icons that can be used in other applications. Having various offical graphics are OK AS LONG AS THEY ARE USED CONSISTANTLY and follow guidelines.

Right now our 'secondary' graphic would probably be our Big Al Elephant Head and Shoulders Graphic, which I personally thinks looks amatuerish at best. If you are going to have a secondary (not primary) graphic to represent the team mascot it should at least look cool. I think part of "looking cool" is looking aggressive, not dull or cute.

Still, I am not suggesting we make a change. I am just commenting on the the Alabama "Brand ID", and I thought the Zephyr "mad elephant" was kind of cool.

Finally, I agree that cartoon elephants can be kind of "cheesy" as you put it, but as far as I know Alabama has always had some kind of Mascot Graphic, so if we are going to have one, it might was be the right one. Thats all.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.