Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation All-American formersoldier71's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Any Tom Clancy fans?

Quote Originally Posted by formersoldier71 View Post
    It appears Clancy's newest novel comes out in December.
    And I forgot about my own update. It's been out for about two weeks; could've had it out here by Christmas. Anybody pick it up yet?

Dead or Alive, by Tom Clancy
    Victory... does not depend entirely upon numbers or mere courage; only skill and discipline will insure it. - Vegetius

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I think I may have to dig Red pheonix back out and re-read it again.....
    Re-read it recently. Found a paperback copy in our "library".
    Victory... does not depend entirely upon numbers or mere courage; only skill and discipline will insure it. - Vegetius

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Anyone read Dead or Aive yet? I'll be ordering it shortly, but I'm skeptical that it will be as good as Clancy's earlier works.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame exiledNms's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Anyone read Dead or Aive yet? I'll be ordering it shortly, but I'm skeptical that it will be as good as Clancy's earlier works.
    Same question & concern here. Confidence is low, sadly. And I'm not really sure why.
    exiled
    exiled

-------------------------
    "Let's see when we get a full body of work at the end of the season. If you get satisfied and you fall in love with yourself, you get complacent and lose your desire."
    Nick Saban

BamaNation First Team BamaFanatJSU's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Bought DOA for my dad for Christmas, and he said it was amazing. He said it was good to read about Mr. Clark again.

I'm a reasonably new Clancy fan myself. I read Executive Orders on recommendation a few months back, and it was hands down one of the best books I've ever read. I read Without Remorse last week, and, again, was so impressed that I bought the entire John Clark/Jack Ryan series in paperback. I'm almost done with Patriot Games now, and then on to Hunt for Red October.

My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Just finished Dead or Alive. I enjoyed it, but I suspect Clancy did not do the lion's share of the writing. There were some mistakes in the book that were annoying as well. Still love Mr. Clark's character; he does not hesitate.
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Just finished Dead or Alive. I enjoyed it, but I suspect Clancy did not do the lion's share of the writing. There were some mistakes in the book that were annoying as well. Still love Mr. Clark's character; he does not hesitate.
    I enjoyed it as well. There were some mistakes that an editor should have caught. I wouldn't guess how much Clancy actually wrote; seemed in line with his style for the most part. I'd say this book was better than his last couple of novels.

My Mood
    Bookworm on TideFans.com

Clancy has a new one coming out this Summer.

The master of international intrigue and explosive action introduces a new hero for a new era of warfare . . . against a new kind of threat.

Get ready to meet ex-Navy SEAL Max Moore.

A terrorist bombing in Pakistan wipes out Max Moore’s entire CIA team. As the only survivor, the former Navy SEAL plunges deeper into the treacherous tribal lands to find the terrorist cell, but what he discovers there leads him to a much darker conspiracy in an unexpected part of the globe—the US/Mexico border.

Here a drug war rages between the Juarez and Sinaloa cartels. The landscape is strewn with bodies, innocents and drug dealers alike, but is there an even deadlier enemy lurking in background? Into this deadly brew, Moore leads a group of specially selected agents whose daring actions reveal shocking answers and uncover an unholy plan—a strike against the very heart of America.
    Amazon.com: Against All Enemies (9780399157301): Tom Clancy, Peter Telep: Books
    Bodhi

Bodhi (face palm)

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bama Torch in Pcola's Avatar

Against All Enemies is excellent. I really, really, really liked it...alot. Didn't care much for Dead or Alive, it was a good book, but not up to Clancy's standards.
    "I waxed the dude."
    --Rory Turner, Alabama DB

BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fireater View Post
    Trivia...why was there no direct mention of Jack Ryan in Without Remorse.? Part 2. what was the indirect mention of Jack Ryan in Without Remorse.?
    Without Remorse took place duiring the Vietnam era. Jack Ryan was a small child. His father was a cop looking into the pimp murders being comitted by John Kelly (who later becomes John Clark). There is mention iirc of him seeing his young son (Jack Ryan) playing or tucking him into bed in one small scene.

Without Remorse was also my favorite. I've read all the major novels except Locked On, which I will read when it gets to my local used bookstore in paperback.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The Amazon reviews for Against all Enemies, Dead or Alive, and Locked on were mostly bad with the majority of reviewers saying this was not Clancy.

I wonder if the old man is done....I hope not.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I've read only one Clancey novel (Red Rabbit), and sadly, no one has mentioned it in this thread. It must not be one of his better ones so I'll have to check out some of the ones that're mentioned herein.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 16-Time World Champions: 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

BamaNation All-American RammerJammer14's Avatar
    My Mood
    Woot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    I've read only one Clancey novel (Red Rabbit), and sadly, no one has mentioned it in this thread. It must not be one of his better ones so I'll have to check out some of the ones that're mentioned herein.
    Red Rabbit is actually one of my favorite books of his. I liked his development of the Russian defector, and it all seems a lot more plausible than some of his later works (how many US cities end up getting nuked by Tom?).

I also really enjoyed "Red Storm Rising". It has nothing to do with Ryan, and is just a one-off, what-if scenario of how the cold war could have become hot (and conventional). It follows different characters through different theaters/levels of command, from "commandos" behind enemy lines to SAC.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."