Logans Peanuts?

AllTide

2nd Team
Mar 9, 2006
N. Alabama
Can anyone tell me how to make Salted in the shell roasted peanuts like you get at Logans and other Roadhouse type restaurants? I have searched but have had no luck.

This is my first post on TideFans, I have been cruising (lurking about) the boards for a couple of months, trying to get the feel. I love the Grillin'&Chillin' board I have tried several of the recipies and can't wait to try more.

Thanks in advance

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
It's magic.

Actually it is very easy. Soak the peanuts in brine (salt & water) then dry them before roasting. The salt brine will penatrate the shell and be left behind after drying and roasting. Enjoy the secret.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I got an email asking for more information so here is how I do it.

Use a big pot or pan for about 10 lbs of raw peanuts in the shell. I use a 32 qt stainless steel pot. Fill about half full with warm water and add a box of salt. Use warm water so the salt will dissolve faster. Stir till the salt looks dissolvedl. Add the peanuts and stir them. Let the peanuts soak for 6-8 hours stirring occasionally.

Next I move the brine soaked peanuts outside to spread them out on an old window screen and turn an electric fan on them to help them dry. They need to dry overnight and sometimes more than that. Point is, if they are still wet in the morning, they need to dry some more. Do not try to roast wet peanuts, you will have steamed peanuts.

Finally, place the dried peanuts in a single layer in a preheated 350F oven for 15-20 minutes. The first pan is your test pan to find out how long it takes to make your perfect peanut so load that pan lightly and start checking after 15 minutes. The peanuts will continue to cook after leaving the oven so dump them back on the window screen so they will cool faster.

This should make an acceptable salted in the shell peanut. They will keep forever in the freezer.

AllTide

2nd Team
Mar 9, 2006
N. Alabama
Thats what I was looking for. I had tried soaking and then roasting and Ohhh that was an ugly mess.
Now I need to find a place for them to dry.

Could a de-hydrator be used?

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
AllTide said:
Thats what I was looking for. I had tried soaking and then roasting and Ohhh that was an ugly mess.
Now I need to find a place for them to dry.

Could a de-hydrator be used?
I don't know enough about a de-hydrator to say yes or no. It might pull the moisture out and the salt along with it. I don't know. The peanuts will air dry if placed in a single layer in about 4-6 hours or overnight. The whole process isn't something you can do in an afternoon. Put a box fan on them and it will speed up the drying process. I don't know how many peanuts one of those de-hydrators will hold. I was kind of thinking maybe you could dry them in a clothes dryer using a low temp setting. Load them in a pillowcase and dry them with some towels or something to cushion them while tumbling around so they don't get all broken up. That might be worth trying.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.