Fact or Fiction???

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
Fact or Fiction - Are we better than Auburn right now

I think we are a step ahead of Auburn right now. We are going to be a totally different team from last year. We will have a very sound offense and defense that will get better as the season goes on. Besides a few mistakes on offense today, our offense moved the ball with ease. It looks like we will have a deep threat in DJ Hall and a good route runner in Matt Cadell. The O-line is getting better, the running backs are there, and the special teams are solid. Auburn seems like they have lost some on offense even though they didn't show much of the playbook in their A-day. AU will still have a tremendous defense and a solid special teams.

My Question to all of you: Are we a better team than AU right now?

HammerJammer

Suspended
Sep 4, 2004
at this point auburn is more proven at the qb position. i'm not sure where they stand defensively, but if they lost fewer players on "d" than we did than i'd say at best we'd be at a draw comparing defenses. so, right now, i think the evidence points to auburn. come next november, though, those losers will be eating our dust.

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
HammerJammer said:
come next november, though, those losers will be eating our dust.

Well said!!! We have to beat that school down the road - and we should.
We are going to have a very good offense and by the time November comes our defense will be clicking on all phases of the game.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com

Allah Bama is not equal of All Barn, never.All Barn has great tradition of defeating Allah Bama with weapons of mass destruction. Brandon Crotch is top quarterback in SEC and Coach Tubernose is geat strategy maker. Saddam say all should fear the thumb.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interesting...

that you should post that. I'm in the process of finishing up "Naked in Baghdad." The Information Minister has moved into the hotel with her and asked to borrow some double-A batteries, so he can listen to shortwave and find out what's really going on...

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
bayoutider said:

Allah Bama is not equal of All Barn, never.All Barn has great tradition of defeating Allah Bama with weapons of mass destruction. Brandon Crotch is top quarterback in SEC and Coach Tubernose is geat strategy maker. Saddam say all should fear the thumb.
Good'un Bayou. :p_lol:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
TidePhin said:
My Question to all of you: Are we a better team than AU right now?

Hard to say because the offense didn't have to defend our true defensive package. Like the A-Day report listed the defense didn't run any stunts or LB blitzes like we would in a regular game.

Until our offensive line proves it can compete with the top notch defensive lines in the SEC (i.e. Auburn, LSU, UT etc) then I'd say no. We just had too many bad showings last season in too many games to take ONE spring scrimmage game and use it to measure it against teams that totally beat down our offensive line. When our OL gets better we will be the most dominate offense in the SEC. We've got the tools/talent to be that good. It just boils down to execution.....................and getting rid of that dang run blocking technique we're using. :biggrin2:

4DaTIDE

Suspended
Jul 25, 2000
No.

We have too many question marks: Unproven QB, unproven OL, big holes to fill at LB, Unproven OL, some questions at DL, Unproven OL, and depth, as usual.

Did I mention the unproven OL???

The Aubs have enough consistency and enough of a creampuff schedule this year, that a run at the BCS is quite possible. All their tough games, with the exception of Bama are at Jerks-In-Here.

Now, that said, if we improve and have some pleasant surprises with player development, who knows. Now don't matter...November does.

4Da

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This response is liking "piling on", at this point and going into the upcoming season, there are too many ????????'s on this Alabama team. IMO we are turning the corner but not there just yet. Auburn is the better team at this point and until proven otherwise.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I feel the need to make a statement here about the OL.

The OL as a whole is improved. The center, guards and TEs look better than before.

The tackles have yet to announce themselves ready to step up.

So, the wholesale tag of "The OL is terrible" is not the truth. Any position can use improvement but it is the tackles needing the most at this point.

Tigrinum Major

Oct 11, 2005
bayoutider said:
I feel the need to make a statement here about the OL.

The OL as a whole is improved. The center, guards and TEs look better than before.

The tackles have yet to announce themselves ready to step up.

So, the wholesale tag of "The OL is terrible" is not the truth. Any position can use improvement but it is the tackles needing the most at this point.
If you are comparing them to the final OL from last season, I would probably agree. But Closner was a pretty good center for the early part of last year. The Britt experiement there was disastrous, but the bowl game center was workable.

The tackles will improve greatly as soon as Andre' Smith steps on the field.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good point...

Rich. Of course, the overall performance can, on certain plays, fall to the level of the poorest performers, and those are, as you say, the tackles. I still wish we had a more flexible blocking scheme. Up to this point, we've had some guys with experience with other methods. From this point on, they are going to be confined to what they've learned at Bama plus whatever they brought with them from HS.

TidePhin

All-SEC
Feb 25, 2005
Hoover, AL
There is one thing I do not understand - Why the media is bashing JP. JP started off 15-18 and looked great. He has 2 or 3 bad throws and all of a sudden he had a bad day. Looking at the game tape, JP knew he shouldn't have thrown those balls. He may not have if it was a real game. Bottomline - we have a good one/two combo in JP/Hall.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well...

CMS warned JPW that, if he made those throws in a game, that would be all the questions he would get from the media...

Latest threads