Pluto Demoted!

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Here's a current article on the Pluto debate:

http://www.popsci.com/pluto-has-atm...geological-activity-can-we-call-it-planet-now

Some planetary scientists, such as New Horizons’ Alan Stern and the Dawn mission’s Mark Sykes, aren’t buying the “size matters” argument. They think that any object that orbits the sun and has enough gravity to pull itself into a spherical shape should be called a planet. “When they get that size, that’s when geology turns on,” Sykes told Popular Science during an interview in January.

Scientists on this side of the debate don’t like the IAU’s definition since it depends on a world’s neighborhood instead of its intrinsic properties. If Earth were placed in Pluto’s position, it wouldn’t clear its orbit either, says Stern.

And although Earth’s diameter is five times larger than Pluto’s and that may seem like a big difference, Saturn and Jupiter are 9.5 and 11 times the size of Earth, respectively. Going off of just size alone, the line that separates real planets from minor planets could easily be drawn to exclude Earth.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Can its orbit be considered spherical?
I don't think any planet's orbit is spherical, or not exactly spherical. I think they were talking about the shape of the planet itself, not it's orbit.

Some planetary scientists, such as New Horizons’ Alan Stern and the Dawn mission’s Mark Sykes, aren’t buying the “size matters” argument. They think that any object that orbits the sun and has enough gravity to pull itself into a spherical shape should be called a planet. “When they get that size, that’s when geology turns on,” Sykes told Popular Science during an interview in January.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I don't think any planet's orbit is spherical, or not exactly spherical. I think they were talking about the shape of the planet itself, not it's orbit.
Yeah, I misread it.
I heard Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about it the other day and he was saying about how its orbit significantly more oblong than the 8 planets (actually goes inside Neptunes for around 20 years) and its plane was significantly different.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yeah, I misread it.
I heard Neil deGrasse Tyson talking about it the other day and he was saying about how its orbit significantly more oblong than the 8 planets (actually goes inside Neptunes for around 20 years) and its plane was significantly different.
Elliptical is the word. All orbits are ellipses, some more elliptical than others. Pluto's is, I believe the most elliptical of the planets, (or was until it was demoted).
Comets' orbits are highly elliptical.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll go with Brown and the IAU. BTW, he's from here and was in Randolph School with my two girls. I know his mom and his stepdad (fairly recently deceased) well. Good guy all the way around...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.