kid attacked by coach

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Wow! This guy was booked on a count of Felony Child Abuse. That is overkill. He needs anger management counseling, not jail time.

The kid was a punk, but the adult should have found another way of addressing the situation. If I were Wood's parent, he would have been punished when he got home. In fact, I might have pulled him from the team for the late hit (which was clearly on purpose).

As for the brawl - goes to show that a whole bunch of parents in that community need some counseling...

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Speaking as an attorney and sports official (league official as well as game official), I respectfully disagree NYBamaFan. There is never any excuse for an adult to attack a child on a sports field. While I may or may not agree with the particular charge, I think that this idiot should be charged and, if convicted, he should receive at least some jail time. I don't mean that he should be sent away for years but he should have to spend some time locked up for what he did as well as receive anger management counseling. Furthermore, if I was in charge of this particular league, he would be banned from our facilities for life.

As an aside, the player involved in this was penalized for the late hit. I do not know if he was ejected from the game and/or suspended from later games. The fact that he was attacked by a parent does not mitigate against what he did. He should have to face some consequences as well.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Speaking as an attorney and sports official (league official as well as game official), I respectfully disagree NYBamaFan. There is never any excuse for an adult to attack a child on a sports field. While I may or may not agree with the particular charge, I think that this idiot should be charged and, if convicted, he should receive at least some jail time. I don't mean that he should be sent away for years but he should have to spend some time locked up for what he did as well as receive anger management counseling. Furthermore, if I was in charge of this particular league, he would be banned from our facilities for life.
I agreed that there is no excuse for his behavior, but to send him to jail for being over-protective of his son isn't going to help anyone. As a parent, I can understand what this other parent did. 30 years ago, this would have gone without much comment, much less discussion of imprisonment.

Both the parent and the kid have anger management issues...

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Thirty years ago this wouldn't have happened because the kid who threw the late hit would have been taught by his parents and coaches that such conduct was not proper. If the parent who attacked the child is not punished for his actions (and no, I do not consider required counseling to be punishment), then we will reinforce the belief that violence is a proper response. Again, there is never any excuse for an adult to go onto a sports field and attack a child.

I notice that a brawl ensued. I would be willing to bet that the brawl was a result of the attack by the parent and not the late hit.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Thirty years ago this wouldn't have happened because the kid who threw the late hit would have been taught by his parents and coaches that such conduct was not proper. If the parent who attacked the child is not punished for his actions (and no, I do not consider required counseling to be punishment), then we will reinforce the belief that violence is a proper response. Again, there is never any excuse for an adult to go onto a sports field and attack a child.

I notice that a brawl ensued. I would be willing to bet that the brawl was a result of the attack by the parent and not the late hit.
You speak of cause and effect. Without the late hit, the parent would not have reacted at all. Again, in case this didn't sink in the first two times, I think that the parent was wrong. You act as though I condone his act. I do not. But I think that sending this guy to jail when no one was hurt is stupid. You could see him pulling up. He didn't punch the kid. He knocked him down from behind - just as the kid did to his son. You seek to detroy his future for a single stupid act that he performed while defending his son.

BTW, if the man is to be tried for a felony assault, so should every other person who was involved in the brawl. They all resorted to violence in response to violence.

The media is giving the kid a free pass. Had the kid not attacked the other kid (who is much smaller), this would never have happened. There were many assaults on this day. The first was commited by the 13 year old kid...

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Although I will say that I do not necessarily agree that it was a felony. In Alabama the charge would most likely be Assault III, a misdemeanor.

Until you have been on a filed and had a parent come onto the filed, you don't realize how serious this is. I was involved in a similar situation in a youth league baseball game a few years back. A baserunner for one team ran into the second baseman for the other team. My partner immediately ejected the runner. The second baseman's dad, who was an assistant coach ran from the dougout yelling at the runner. Fortunately, I arrived before the coach did and cut him off before he got to the kid. The coach was ejected from the game and suspended for the remainder of the season. He was allowed to come back for the following year after a lengthy debate and split vote among the league officials. Fortunately, no one from his team was involved in any collisions, etc., and he behaved himeslf.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
That guy makes me sick. Who does he honestly think he's protecting? Certainly not his son. Instead of taking a late hit and getting up and getting back in the huddle the kid is facing a lifetime of grief and embarrassment. All that man is doing is exacting revenge on a 13 year old kid. I would say he certainly deserves to go to jail. We have laws in place for a reason.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
The guy needs to be taught a lesson he'll never forget, but I think jail time is a little too drastic. He'd probably lose his job and his family would be punished as well. I'd recommend a stiff fine, a LOT of really grunge-type community service and being banned from the league.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The guy needs to be taught a lesson he'll never forget, but I think jail time is a little too drastic. He'd probably lose his job and his family would be punished as well. I'd recommend a stiff fine, a LOT of really grunge-type community service and being banned from the league.

Looks like he doesn't get the felony, but because of his record he will probably never be able to coach or work with kids again in a public setting. Could be punishment enough.

His Court Date

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.