What's the call...

Jim Morris

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Athens,AL
ps.tidefans.com
Since hawk already has You Make the Call, I thought I would give you another.

Team A is attempting the point after and has two tight ends (#80-inside,#85-outside) lined up on the right side. At the snap, #80 releases from the line of scrimmage and catches the two point conversion. Was #80 an eligible receiver? If this is a penalty then what's the call? What's the enforcement?

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Good question, Jim. I will give others a shot at answering. This kind of question is why the umpire has to be awake and pay attention to numbers.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
This one may be a little tricky. I assume from your fact situation that both #80 and #85 are on the line. If so, #80 is not an eligible receiver. The penalty is for illegal touching. Illegal touching by an ineligible receiver beyond the neutral zone is normally a 5 yard penalty from the previous spot with a loss of down. This situation is a little different because it is on a try. In this case there would be no score and no replay. In other words, team A would not get the points and you would move on to the kickoff.

Note: Until recently, this would have been offensive pass interference which carries a 15 yard penalty plus loss of down. The rules were changed to make it illegal touching.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
This one may be a little tricky. I assume from your fact situation that both #80 and #85 are on the line. If so, #80 is not an eligible receiver. The penalty is for illegal touching. Illegal touching by an ineligible receiver beyond the neutral zone is normally a 5 yard penalty from the previous spot with a loss of down. This situation is a little different because it is on a try. In this case there would be no score and no replay. In other words, team A would not get the points and you would move on to the kickoff.

Note: Until recently, this would have been offensive pass interference which carries a 15 yard penalty plus loss of down. The rules were changed to make it illegal touching.
Agree, though I was completely unaware of the "Note" portion of your post...

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
The rule was changed just this year, NY. It used to be if an ineligible touched a forward pass in or beyond the neutral zone it was offensive pass interference.

Good situation, Jim. Just because a player has a legal # does not make him eligible. He was "covered up" - not the end man on the LOS. That made him ineligible for that play.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Have you ever seen a snapper legally catch a pass? It can, and has, happened. A couple of years ago we had a team that used its quarterback as its long snapper. They had a fake punt where they would have all of the linemen to one side of the snapper. The only players to the other side were off the line making him the end man on the line and an eligible receiver.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.