You Make the Call - Oct. 24

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Here is one that is a little more tricky. Pay attention...

The qb for Gold throws an interception in Blue's end zone. The Blue player tries to advance the ball out of the end zone but is downed there. While the Blue player is trying to run the ball out of the end zone, another player for Blue clips at his own 3 yard line.

1 - Is this a safety or not?

2 - If not a safety, where would the ball be placed for Blue?

talisitider

All-SEC
Jan 24, 2003
Tallassee, AL
If it is decided that he made an attempt to come out of the endzone, but is downed there (I'm assuming you mean Gold tackles Blue) it should be a safety regardless of whether or not the clip took place.

KanBama

All-American
Nov 22, 2002
Wichita, Kansas, United States
Here is one that is a little more tricky. Pay attention...

The qb for Gold throws an interception in Blue's end zone. The Blue player tries to advance the ball out of the end zone but is downed there. While the Blue player is trying to run the ball out of the end zone, another player for Blue clips at his own 3 yard line.

1 - Is this a safety or not?

2 - If not a safety, where would the ball be placed for Blue?
If the clip happened before he was downed,which we asume he was or you would not have done this;then the ball is placed on the 1 1/2 yard line and it is 1&10 for Blue. It can not be a Safety since Team Blue was not on Offence to at the start of the play and Team Gold is not going to give Team Blue the ball at the 20.

alatider

All-American
Feb 2, 2005
The center of Alabama
The way I see it....Blue gets the ball at it's own 10 yard line.

Because the Blue player was downed in the end zone, it is a touch back.
Normally the ball would be put into play at the Blue's own 20, but the clipping penalty puts it half the distance to the goal, or at it's own 10 yard line. First down and 20.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX

Normally the ball would be put into play at the Blue's own 20, but the clipping penalty puts it half the distance to the goal, or at it's own 10 yard line. First down and 20.
This would be my answer, althought bamajake's comments seems to indicate that this is not completely right.

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003

I agree except I am going to say first and ten rather than first and 20 (with the line to gain being the 20 yard line).

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
OK guys, here it is. KanBama got the right result. First and 10 Blue at the 1 1/2. The fact that the Blue player tried to run the ball out of the end zone does not make it a safety. It is not a safety because Blue is not the team that put the ball in the end zone. It would only be a safety if Blue had caused the ball to go into the end zone and it was downed there in their possession. As a result, it is a touchback.

The penalty is from the spot of the foul because a team is penalized from the spot of the foul if the foul occurs behind the "basic spot." In the case of a touchback, the basic spot is the 20 yard line. Since the foul was on the 3, that is where the penalty is marked from.

Note: If the clip had occurred after the player was downed in the end zone, it would be a dead ball foul and would be penalized from the succeeding spot, i.e., the 20. It would then be first and 10 from the 10.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
The penalty is from the spot of the foul because a team is penalized from the spot of the foul if the foul occurs behind the "basic spot." In the case of a touchback, the basic spot is the 20 yard line. Since the foul was on the 3, that is where the penalty is marked from.
Ah, the dreaded "all but one" principle.

Y'all are getting good at thinking these situations out!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.