In Defense of Rod

TexasBammer

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2005
Hotlanta, Ga
Here are the facts.

He is an alumnus of WV.
His wife went there.
His wife would have never made it here.-- and you guys know it.
His family is there.
WV sweetened the pot to keep him there.
I actually have some respect for him staying and taking less money, though, I do think that he shouldn't have left us at the altar... that was wrong. He made the right decision for himself, and his family, and I say Kudo's.

If you want to be upset, we need to look in the mirror.
Alabama did not make the offer sweet enough to lure him to Tuscaloosa.
It doesn't matter if we didn't offer him enough money, or sell the program well enough. No excuses needed.

If the roles were reversed, and Bama was VW and Notre Dame was us, then we would be happy. I'm actually a bit jealous of WV for having a coach who loves their university so much. So, let's be happy for Coach Rod.

It doesn't look like it now, but Bama will be back...

rkwilkerson

All-American
Feb 20, 2006
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think he left us hanging for his benefit. He wanted his administration to blink first and we had to be on the hook for his plan to work. It was a smart move b/c he got what he wanted.

Right now, he is WVU's glowing savior, and that is what he wanted. :)

AlabamaSooner

All-SEC
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Here are the facts.

He is an alumnus of WV.
His wife went there.
His family is there.
I actually have some respect for him staying and taking less money, though, I do think that he shouldn't have left us at the altar... that was wrong. He made the right decision for himself, and his family, and I say Kudo's.

It doesn't matter if we didn't offer him enough money, or sell the program well enough. No excuses needed.

If the roles were reversed, and Bama was VW and Notre Dame was us, then we would be happy. I'm actually a bit jealous of WV for having a coach who loves their university so much. So, let's be happy for Coach Rod.

I kind of agree. I thought it would be a HUGE steal to get him to come to Bama being the WVU man that he is.

rolltideas

All-SEC
Aug 21, 2003
Tusc. AL USA
The ONLY conclusion I can come to after listening to his PC is that he used us and that he is a liar. PERIOD. Perhaps this is blessing in disguise.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
That effectively blew up my theory about $ being the overriding driving factor in coaching ranks today. At least in Coach Rod's case. I concur that it would be hard to swipe him from his alma mater.

And add to TexasBammer's list that the WVU program is being noticed by the rest of the nation. It was more of a long shot than I thought.

:biga2:

FortyYearFan

1st Team
Jan 2, 2003
I'm neither defending him, nor criticizing him.

When the announcement was made, the phrase "Mama called" occurred to me. I can't say I'm against that.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
Here are the facts.

He is an alumnus of WV.
His wife went there.
His family is there.

I agree 100%. Good luck, CRR and WVA.

Tide1990

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
I'm neither defending him, nor criticizing him.

When the announcement was made, the phrase "Mama called" occurred to me. I can't say I'm against that.
Let's remember that CRR had already gone home to mama -- this is not the same situation that CPBB faced. In CRR's case, I think it's more of "can't cut the apron strings".

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I personally wish he had taken the job, but his reasons for staying are his and I really do not care what they were. He made a family and career decison in his best interest and I do not fault him for that. We will be better off knowing his reluctance now than 2 years from now. So, it is done now we move on.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Guys... I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt in these situations, but in this deal, I firmly believe we were played... big time. You cannot make me believe that we would have allowed news of the offer to leak from our side if we weren't 99.9% certain that he would accept. That's as far as I will go... but he played us and in my book, that's unethical.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
Guys... I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt in these situations, but in this deal, I firmly believe we were played... big time. You cannot make me believe that we would have allowed news of the offer to leak from our side if we weren't 99.9% certain that he would accept. That's as far as I will go... but he played us and in my book, that's unethical.
I absolutely agree.
He did not stay at WVU out of "loyalty". He stayed because he wanted more money and upgrades, and got it. He did not need to wait until 2:00 today to make this decision.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
The timing of the WVU counter and RR's acceptance pretty much confirms this, IMO. He was just fishing for an offer the whole time.

TexasBammer

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2005
Hotlanta, Ga
It is Alabama's job to determine if we are being played. Remember, it's a business. Don't be upset with Coach Rod. We have been played many times in the last few years. Fool me once, shame on me..... etc.
-------------------

Let's assume you were a CEO, and you had a salesman trying to sell a new product to someone who had an older product owned by a competitor, though he likes it, he just isn't sure. Your product is obviously better, though the customer is very attached to his old one. You tell the salesman that he MUST sell this product to the competitor. It is his number 1 job. In fact it's imperative, and money really isn't an object.

He gets an agreement in principle, but at the last minute, the customer changes his mind at the last minute because your competitor makes a run at them.

Should your sales guy have not expected your competitor to make a run? You knew that he was going to meet with them a few hours before the deadline?
Should your sales guy have sweetened the deal since you told him money wasn't really the object?
Should your sales guy have done a better job selling?

Should you blame the customer??

dabaxter

1st Team
Nov 15, 2004
I don't believe he was ever coming. That's why I was so cautious last night and why I told people I was skeptical. My reasoning is this...Other candidates were interviewed, I would think, yet there was every effort made to keep it a secret. However, the RR meeting and rumors appeared to be fueled on his side and he and his wife were flaunting the NY interview with Mal. It just seemed suspicious to me.

I believe what he did with WV was a form of extortion, especially since he had recently signed an extension with a raise.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.