1997 Michigan St 7-5 Aloha
1998 Michigan St 6-6 None
1999 Michigan St 9-2 Citrus
2000 LSU 8-4 Peach
2001 LSU 10-3 Sugar
2002 LSU 8-5 Cotton
2003 LSU 13-1 Sugar
2004 LSU 9-3 Capital One

Every coach since Perkins has had a 10 win season. Do you think Saban will surpass this?

Saban has averaged 3.8 losses per season as a HC. Do you think he will go undefeated at Bama?

Saban's longest tenure as a college HC has been 5 years. Do you think he will stay longer at Bama?
I was looking up something and came across this thread from when Saban was hired.

I don't think most of those folks are still posting here but - interesting to say the least.

Especially given the results.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Was dabaxter an Alabama fan, or a rival fan? He seems to be out there on his own in this thread.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Was dabaxter an Alabama fan, or a rival fan? He seems to be out there on his own in this thread.
B1G,

There is a STRONG suspicion that dabaxter was the poster name for an agent for Paul Johnson.

I don't want to move all the threads from 2006 up here, but even a cursory look STRONGLY suggests he was fishing. Just look at the following threads:

1) Bama Waiting But Not For Saban

2) DA Baxter's Coaches Thread

3) Newspaper Take On Paul Johnson

All of a sudden, a guy named dan68 shows up and does ONE post (maybe the same guy?)

4) Why Not Paul Johnson

Oh and to show you the overall (what was going on here at the time), here's a GOOD one:

5) New Coach Speculation

So now, B1G, in a few decades when we hear Saban is leaving, you'll know what folks mean when they start referencing dabaxter and Paul Johnson.

:)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Btw - here's a guy who was DEAD ON RIGHT:

My New Year Prediction

Here's what he said on December 23, 2006:

On January 5th 2007 Alabama will hold a news conference and announce our new head coach,,,,,Nick Saban....Just wait and see...

Now keep this in mind - Saban DENIED it on December 21. Look through that thread and it will amaze you.

Oh - and does anyone know if poster FAN4EVER actually DID walk naked from Calera to Tuscaloosa? (post #5)

I'll bet not.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wasn't here then so I don't know the whole story with this guy's Paul Johnson obsession. I will say that at the time I was not as excited about Saban as everyone else. He had won a national championship but outside of that one season his record wasn't that spectacular. I certainly didn't want Spurrier, but had no strong feelings about anyone else.

I was concerned Saban might leave after a few years and that we were setting ourselves up for disappointment.

I am happy to say I was wrong and that he has exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I wasn't here then so I don't know the whole story with this guy's Paul Johnson obsession. I will say that at the time I was not as excited about Saban as everyone else. He had won a national championship but outside of that one season his record wasn't that spectacular. I certainly didn't want Spurrier, but had no strong feelings about anyone else.

I was concerned Saban might leave after a few years and that we were setting ourselves up for disappointment.

I thought we would get 5 good years and he would try the NFL again. I was really just dead wrong.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
That was a crazy wormhole.

I love how Dabaxter had everyone piling on the bandwagon for PJ.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
I think 2011 changed Saban's destiny. Had those tornados not happened maybe we don't win a title that year and he would already be gone.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
This was a nice observation:

In regard to the latest video of Saban denying his interest in the Alabama coaching job, his words seemed to be out of sync with his tone of voice and body language. I did not believe a word he said, and could not help but smile.

Take this for what its worth from an intuitive female. Remember when you were a little boy and your mother could read you like a book

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

For further reading and what it was like at the time:

Do We Name A New Coach Today?

Search Focuses In On Saban

The TideFans Board Members Make Their Choices For Head Coach - 2006

The above thread is a full 18 pages long.

For the record, here are WHO some posters thought we should hire. Note that some poster's names appear MORE THAN ONCE due to openness over who we might get as well as changing developments.

Before I go on, however, please note NONE of this is intended to embarrass anyone. Seriously. I've been wrong more than once (although I was correct in my hunch here), so don't think I dug this out to humiliate anyone. Many of the posters are no longer here, and some of their comments on this very subject indicate why. Nevertheless, it's kind of fun to see how it 'used' to be and cherish even more how it is right now.

Paul Johnson - thetideinmd, Gabby, Gadfly, LT Bamafan, Proxigean Tide, dabaxter, Crimson Tut, jeremy, AFTide, Bama Torch in Pcola, BKOTH97, basscat, Bama Fan in BGKY ("he's going to NC State, too bad you missed him"), Razed Rite, wishbonedays (PJ or RR),

Saban's Not Coming (or some variation) - Crimson Cat, crimsonaudio*, jeremy, LCN, Hawk 324, Bama Buzzard ("If we get him, he won't be here in three years"), Scott Free (thinks we should get Rich Rod), RTR3413, Bama Torch in Pcola ('I don't want Saban'), Gray Tide ("I prefer Rodriguez, Johnson, and Grobe"), tidehawk ("Saban would not be a good fit at all in T-Town," wants Rich Rod), Gabby ("There's a better chance of Miami having a white Christmas than Bama hiring CNS"), Alanbama27, tideronthehooch, Gadfly ("Saban would be a mistake"), Capt Jack, Tidetwin ("Saban hire doesn't make sense"), Uptown Tider, AtlBamaFan ("Saban...is as ludicrous as Mike Sherman being a candidate.."), Boo Radley, Bama 63 (compares him to Franchione), RollTide007,

Joe Kines - HSV256, Spot Dailey

Bob Stoops - basscat, deliveryman35, 37bamagirl, deliveryman35, foreveratidefan (or RR), Bama16inTN,

Steve Spurrier - Anchovy, Jimbo4Bama, Big Gunn, The Bama Irishman, Crimson Flyboy (first and Johnson second)

Steve Sarkisian - Master Shake

Rich Rodriguez - rylandtide, Gray Tide, tidwhawk, Scott Free, Gabby, Alanbama 27, Andy, SimCastille Fan3,sabanball, 123bama, bama119, rizrolltizide, RivaTide86, zsim, rolltideas, dave12, kjbama12, Roll2vic, Mega Vars, alatider (RR or CNS, both good), Legion Field (the poster, not the stadium), DyzKingRTR (or Grobe)

Jim Grobe
- Tider in Talley, Andy, Crimson Elite

Nick Saban - PCPachyderm (thinks RR will come and do well but KNOWS Saban will do well), TiderInMiss (implies Saban will come), crimsonaudio, bayoutider, Bama Rich, SimCastille Fan 3, Corn Biscuit ("Saban is a nice guy off the field...will make Bama the best"), Hawk324, Soldier For Tide, TruCrimson, ihatefulmer, bamakevcd, Soldier For Tide, Crimson Always, J4Bama (or RR), Big Tide fan forever, Want13 (Saban first, Schiano second)

Houston Nutt - Bama Reb

Donald Trump - dvldog (Seriously - go look)

The "Donald". He would also make an excellent AD. He's got that "Your Fired" thing down pat.

* - not picking on you, buddy. Later in the same thread, CA told us - "The only guy I'd prefer over Saban would be Bob Stoops, but I'd be thrilled beyond belief with either." (he then figured we would get stuck with RR).

And then I found this gem from even earlier:

I know I'm dreaming, but if any of the Big S's were to come (Spurrier, Stoops, or Saban) I'd likely be giggling fro weeks to come...

And in the interest of integrity, here are MY comments at the time.

In Response to the One who said Sarkisian

Oh for Pete's sake!!!

If all we wanted was a good assistant, we could have kept Shula and made him the OC.

Despite all the USC hype, Ed Orgeron is not exactly setting the world on fire at Ole Miss - and neither is Norm Chow in the NFL.

hw89

Oh, and this one is pure comedy gold. One guy is insinuating Saban is coming and we get this retort:

Credibility? For what, being absolutely wrong?

I challenge you to a loser leave town match (like the old days of NWA rasslin' with Gordon Solie out of Atlanta). If either of these two (Saban or SOS) are coaching the University of Alabama Crimson Tide come this spring I'll leave this board forever! If either one of them are NOT coaching then you leave the board.

I am joking about the loser leave town thing, but I'm serious about the following:

I would be totally disgusted if they hired Saban after he ripped our boobies off with his comments today.

I would be sorely disappointed in SOS if he came here after what he has said to the people of Carolina and his players.

Forget those two coaches, they ain't happening at this point in time.:BigA: :BigA: :BigA: :BigA:

And then there's THIS genius:

espn is wrong. everyone on this entire board is wrong. we will NOT get nick saben. i wish the discussion would end.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.