Best players ever from your high school?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good thread. No one I can remember in my time or since has come through Linden High School and gone on to great things in football. However, it did produce Roy Rogers... who played BB at the Capstone.
Rich, there was an offensive lineman in the mid 60's who played at Alabama from Linden. I cannot remember his name but recall he had red hair, was in the same class as Mike Hall and Bob Childs.

BamaFan1961

All-SEC
Oct 26, 2005
Hayden, Al
Re: Best players Ever from your high school

Also Ken Coley and Mike Clements who both played at Bama.
There was a kid that signed with AU from Erwin that was killed in a car crash before he played college ball. His name ecapes me now but he was a very good high school running back. I also believe that another Clements played for Jax State as a running back.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
Robert Peoples from Thompson High School. He was a complete beast. Tenn. recruited the hell out of him but he didn't have the grades to go anywhere. Never heard from him again after his senior year.

Rtrn2Glory

Aug 29, 2007
I went to a small 4A school in NE Alabama called Alexandria. In the mid ninetys we had a running back named Mac Campbell. He set the national record for touchdowns in a season but it had an asterick b/c the record didnt count touchdowns as an eighth grader. But still he was a force to deal with but never made it in college. Had trouble with the exit exam in high school and never got eligible. Went to UAB for a bit but didnt get eligible to play. Sad story but still one of the greatest from around that area of all time. Anyone remember him?

Briarwdpipeline

Jul 27, 2007
Thompson High School, Alabaster, Alabama
"Go Warriors"

"Peanut" Davenport-Alabama/Southern Miss, San Francisco Giants
Author Johnson-AU
Jeff Bentley-UA
Lavel Bivens-AU
Pat Threat-NC State
So many who didn't quailfy I couldn't count, but great high school players.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Rich, there was an offensive lineman in the mid 60's who played at Alabama from Linden. I cannot remember his name but recall he had red hair, was in the same class as Mike Hall and Bob Childs.
Before the Academy system came to town, the public school in Linden (I think they were called the Red Raiders) had some terrific teams. In fact, trophies dotted the halls of the HS in my years there (87-89) from those days. Didn't know any of the greats from those teams... but they were good in their day.

Tim... what years did you attend at Silas (I think I've asked you that before)? One year, we were supposed to play there and had to reschule the game due to one of the gas wells catching on fire. The whole area had to be evacuated that night... and it was just prior to the game when we got the news. My Sr. year of HS, they drummed us by about 40 points... and I took a beating. :pDT_Armataz_02_16:

BamaBoyTim

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 22, 2007
Hopefully Quentin Castille becomes a great @ Nebraska.... his is a freshman running/fullback there... talk about a BIG boy

La Porte Hs, Tx

TideV

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 18, 2005
Birmingham, Alabama
In the early 70s, 71 or 72, Tarrant High School won the State Championship and my oldest brother was on the team. I think half the All County and All State team was composed of Tarrant players! John and Jack O'Rear were great players who went to Alabama. Ray Bolden went to Bama. I can't remember them all...

ukrednek

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 28, 2007
England
Re: Best players Ever from your high school

Went to Enterprise and Foley.

The most Notorious I can recall was a big ole dude named Charlie Dare he created quiet the scandal for Auburn .. hehe.
EHS
Cedric Smith ('86 i believe), played for UF and went on to play with Redskins & Vikings I think and Bjorn Nittmo (also '86) went to a smaller college I think, but played in the NFL, most notably for the Giants and made an appearance on David Letterman after a string of good performances.

BTW - what ever happenned to Charlie Dare? Never heard anything more from him after HS?

Last edited:

BamaBoy3684

1st Team
Nov 28, 2006
Dothan
Millard "Dixie" Howell (who the HS football stadium is named after)

Early Wynn (who the HS baseball stadium is named after)

Nuff said?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.