Recipe: Easy and Delicious Coconut Cake

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
This cake is extremely simple. It not only looks beautiful -- but tastes delicious too. My Mom makes it for holidays, takes one to neighbors, those sick, parties, etc.

Easy Coconut Cake

Duncan Hines Classic White Cake Mix:

Bake as directed on box (for 2 round pans)

Cool completely

Icing:

1 lb. bag powdered sugar
2T non-dairy creamer
2 t. clear vanilla flavoring
3/4 c. Crisco shortening
approx. 1/3-1/2 c. water

Combine all ingredients together and ice cool cake. Sprinkle coconut on top and sides (you may have to pat it on). DO NOT put the coconut between the cake layers -- it'll cause the cake to slide.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Well I learned something. I wasn't aware there was a clear vanilla. I Googled
it up and sure enough there is.

Is there a difference in taste?
Several things determine the taste of vanilla, the country of origin of the vanilla beans, maturity of the beans when picked, curing method used of the beans and the extraction method used to produce the extract all will influence the final flavor profile.

Clear vanilla is made by combining propylene glycol or glycerine with artificial vanillin. Vanillin is a by product of the wood industry or is produced from petro-chemicals. All clear vanilla is artificial vanilla to my knowledge.

This is my too much information post for the day. ;)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
You can make your own vanilla flavoring. I have made it using vanilla beans and rum but I bet you could use silver rum and vanilla beans, maybe the vanilla beans will color the rum I dont know but you want to use about 8-10 whole beans split open to about a pint of alcohol. When it gets low add a couple of beans and more alcohol. It needs to sit for a few weeks in the cabinet before you use it.

I can remember my grandma and mother making a fresh coconut cake that was so rich and good. They used the coconut milk in the cake and grated the fresh coconut to go on the frosting. It was one of the most moist cakes I remember having.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Several things determine the taste of vanilla, the country of origin of the vanilla beans, maturity of the beans when picked, curing method used of the beans and the extraction method used to produce the extract all will influence the final flavor profile.

Clear vanilla is made by combining propylene glycol or glycerine with artificial vanillin. Vanillin is a by product of the wood industry or is produced from petro-chemicals. All clear vanilla is artificial vanilla to my knowledge.

This is my too much information post for the day. ;)
I think most dark vanilla extract you get from the store is made from wood as well. It will have the word "Pure" on the bottle if it was made from vanilla beans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.