Top Ten Rivalries in Sports

Tide Tales

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2006
Actually I agree with some of the list....however, UT vs Fla? Naw-s/h/b vs.
Alabama! Thanks very much for the link! Roll Tide!:) :BigA:

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Thanks for the link. I would think Bama vs Vols would be in the top 10.

USC v UCLA is only big out here if you are a student or alumni. The rest of the city could care less about this game.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I particularly liked his reference to the University of Auburn. I like this. :biggrin:

Surprised they omitted ND/USC and Dodgers/Giants. Maybe expand to Top 15.

:biga2:

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I agree with the top of this list but after that it doesn't make much sense. LSU - Ole Miss? How does that get into the top 10? I am not an NBA guy but I would think Spurs - Mavs wouldn't even be the top rivalry in that league. What about Celtics - Lakers? And for the life of me I can't see how White Sox - Indians gets on that list. Oh and people in L.A. couldn't care less about football, I was out there in 2000 to see that firsthand. So no way USC - UCLA should be on any top rivalry list. When USC is dominating the way they are in football and they can't get more than 15,000 to 20,000 to show up for their spring game that tells me there isn't much football passion out there.

Last edited:

Capstone46

1st Team
Jun 5, 2000
I have been to 5 of the top 8 and I can think of two others that should replace all but Alabama -University of auburn. For shear excitement and intensity Army-Navy would definitely be one. You can't be there without getting caught up in all the excitement and emotion. I am sure both think/talk about it through the year but without the daily animosity of Alabama-auburn. The other would be So Cal -ND since the game can mean so much.

moorav

Banned
Dec 6, 2006
pretty good except Ole Miss-LSU I didn't even know they were rivals

This statement ruins his credibitly for me:
>Come to think of, now Bama has a new coach similar to Bear Bryant, Nick >Saban.

Could someone explain those similarities (sp) between Bear Bryan and Nick Saban to me..?

I see none whatsoever :conf2:

moorav

Banned
Dec 6, 2006
I think Army/Navy is a huge rivalry

The university of Auburn vs The University of Alabama may be the biggest but I might like beating Tennessee better than beating any team on the schedule.

I don't really detest Auburn like I do Tennessee from Pat Summit, Bruce Pearl to
anything to do with UT - I hope they lose every game in every sport.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Thanks for the link. I would think Bama vs Vols would be in the top 10.

USC v UCLA is only big out here if you are a student or alumni. The rest of the city could care less about this game.
It's also big if you're one of those bandwagon fan, those exact fans that'll change allegiances to whatever football team, USC or UCLA, is winning more. I bet a ton of USC's current bandwagon fans were UCLA bandwagon fans 10 years ago.

Dec 15, 2000
Shellman Georgia
I think Army/Navy is a huge rivalry

The university of Auburn vs The University of Alabama may be the biggest but I might like beating Tennessee better than beating any team on the schedule.

I don't really detest Auburn like I do Tennessee from Pat Summit, Bruce Pearl to
anything to do with UT - I hope they lose every game in every sport.

I agree 100%!!!! I hate everything about UT!!!! I won't even plant orange flowers around my house because they remind me of that "school". Last year, the nusery accidentaly gave me some flowers that bloomed orange. Flowers dont like Roundup!!!

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
LSU and Old Miss rivalry goes way back. I believe they used to play the game around the end of October (Halloween game) of course way back then Old Miss had better teams and better coaches like John Vaught (6 SEC championships & 1 National Championship).

Ask any LSU or Old Miss old timer who their biggest rival is and they will probably answer LSU or Old Miss.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
AL/TN is much bigger right now than FL/TN, but it hasn't always been that way. The AL/TN rivalry used to be one based on mutual respect - now it is sheer hatred.

Mets/Yankees also belongs on this list. That rivalry is much like Bama/Auburn. They are from the same state and their fans have to see one another every day. It gets ugly...

LSU and Old Miss rivalry goes way back. I believe they used to play the game around the end of October (Halloween game) of course way back then Old Miss had better teams and better coaches like John Vaught (6 SEC championships & 1 National Championship).

Ask any LSU or Old Miss old timer who their biggest rival is and they will probably answer LSU or Old Miss.
all true, but for the vast majority of lsu fans not in the "old timer" category, ole miss is way down the list. at the very least they are behind bama (even before saban), auburn, and florida. they try to force a rivalry with the hawgs down everyone's throat, but noone really cares.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.