Top Ten Rivalries in Sports

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
AL/TN is much bigger right now than FL/TN, but it hasn't always been that way. The AL/TN rivalry used to be one based on mutual respect - now it is sheer hatred.

Mets/Yankees also belongs on this list. That rivalry is much like Bama/Auburn. They are from the same state and their fans have to see one another every day. It gets ugly...
Gotta be interesting in NYC...Yankee fans and Mets fans having to work together. Can't imagine what it was like when the Giants and Dodgers were still in NYC...

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Gotta be interesting in NYC...Yankee fans and Mets fans having to work together. Can't imagine what it was like when the Giants and Dodgers were still in NYC...
The Yankee fans are so obnoxious that this rivalry really gets ugly. Mets fans are not much better.

Imagine, the NYC attitude with some hatred mixed in. There are days that I have to threaten employees to get them back to work (like the Monday after the Sox swept the Yanks a few weeks ago - Mets fans simply wouldn't stop crowing)...

The Yankee fans are so obnoxious that this rivalry really gets ugly. Mets fans are not much better.

Imagine, the NYC attitude with some hatred mixed in. There are days that I have to threaten employees to get them back to work (like the Monday after the Sox swept the Yanks a few weeks ago - Mets fans simply wouldn't stop crowing)...
I'm actually headed up to New York in a couple of weeks and got tickets to a Yankees/Red Sox game. I can't wait to watch that rivalry with a neutral point of view (I don't like either of them).

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I'm actually headed up to New York in a couple of weeks and got tickets to a Yankees/Red Sox game. I can't wait to watch that rivalry with a neutral point of view (I don't like either of them).
A Yankees/Red Sox game at Yankee stadium is something everyone should get to experience at least once. If the game is even close, you will see/hear fans like none other. These guys are crazy, and the stadium gets so loud that you hear ringing in your ears for days. Plus, if you sit in or under the overhanging upper deck - it literally rocks up and down when the crowd goes nuts. I have feared for my life when sitting under that thing.

Amazing experience - and I despise the Yankees...

A Yankees/Red Sox game at Yankee stadium is something everyone should get to experience at least once. If the game is even close, you will see/hear fans like none other. These guys are crazy, and the stadium gets so loud that you hear ringing in your ears for days. Plus, if you sit in or under the overhanging upper deck - it literally rocks up and down when the crowd goes nuts. I have feared for my life when sitting under that thing.

Amazing experience - and I despise the Yankees...
Yeah, that's why we're going. Neither myself or my friend are a fan of the Yankees or Red Sox, but we figured... we should get to see a game in Yankee Stadium at least once before it shuts down. Last year we did Wrigley because the Cubs (my team) were playing the Braves (his team). We did manage to get bleacher seats so I've got to find a way to enjoy the game without a cold brew or two. I guess I can tough it out.

red55

All-American
Nov 5, 2002
Baton Rouge
LSU/Ole Miss is still a very big game, just not the major dogfight it was in the Vaught/McClendon days with Archie and Bert Jones. Ole Miss fell on hard times in the 80's and they have never recovered from it, so the game gets little TV coverage and less national recognition in later years.

But the fans still come out. It's a big game.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Yeah, that's why we're going. Neither myself or my friend are a fan of the Yankees or Red Sox, but we figured... we should get to see a game in Yankee Stadium at least once before it shuts down. Last year we did Wrigley because the Cubs (my team) were playing the Braves (his team). We did manage to get bleacher seats so I've got to find a way to enjoy the game without a cold brew or two. I guess I can tough it out.
10 years ago, the bleachers at Yankee stadium were the best place to watch a sporting event in America. Back then, you could not buy tickets in the bleachers in advance, so the real fans got those seats on game day when the ticket office opened (just before the warmups).

Oh yeah, they served beer - and every fan in the bleachers got ripped. It wasn't a place for the family, but it was awesome for a young person on a hot summer day!!! :biggrin2:

Back then, the bleacher seat fans used to study up on the opposing team's outfielders so they could rip them in unusual ways. Players used to say that they had the best time when playing at the Yankees for that reason. Then they decided that the bleachers were too roudy. They stopped with the beer sales and started including the tickets in regular sales. PC took over, and the fans lost out. :frown:

They are still more fun than regular seats, but nothing like it used to be...

AlabamaSooner

All-SEC
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Did I see LSU-Ole Miss over Duke-Carolina? :eek:

Which reminds me, did I not see Duke-Carolina?
Duke/UNC deserves to be towards the top of the list in my opinion.

Army/Navy = most overrated "rivalry" ever. I love watching rivalry games, but I'm not sure I ever watched more than a quarter of that game...if that tells you something. Maybe it's because my "rivalry bar" is set so high. Being around the Iron Bowl, UA/UT, OU/Texas, OU/Nebraska made me that way I guess. :p

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Army/Navy is a huge rivalry. Don't lessen the rivalry because the students aren't like standard college students... you're a lot less likely to hear profanities and see drunken students and fans at the game.

As for UA/UT... over the decades, this has been a good one, but never did it reach a point like UA/AU in which the game basically stopped for, what, 30-40 years? To the point where they actually had a "bury the hatchet" ceremony?

I suspect the Tennessee rivalry will die down a bit once ol' Fulmer retires. Still an important one, but the hatred will certainly be less severe.

pcolatide

All-SEC
Sep 4, 2004
Snug Harbor, Florida
The times are changing. LSU V Bama is going to be big for the foreseeable future. I think FSU v Miami and FSU v Florida and Clemsom v Ga are bigger than LSU v Ole Miss.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Abdullah the Butcher

Mr. Wrestling #2 vs. Chief Wahoo McDaniel

"The Nature Boy" Rick Flair vs. Gordon Solie :rolleyes:

Dusty Rhodes vs. Tony Atlas

Jesse "The Body" Ventura vs. "The Govenator"

Burhead Jones vs. The Tennessee Stud

Rocky Balboa vs. Apollo Creed

Alec Baldwin vs. "The Daughter"

Britney vs. Christina

I felt dumb :p_cry::wink::p_blank:

ApexTider

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 13, 2004
Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Abdullah the Butcher

Mr. Wrestling #2 vs. Chief Wahoo McDaniel

"The Nature Boy" Rick Flair vs. Gordon Solie :rolleyes:

Dusty Rhodes vs. Tony Atlas

Jesse "The Body" Ventura vs. "The Govenator"

Burhead Jones vs. The Tennessee Stud

Rocky Balboa vs. Apollo Creed

Alec Baldwin vs. "The Daughter"

Britney vs. Christina

I felt dumb :p_cry::wink::p_blank:
I always considered Flair's biggest rival "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.